Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What do you want in 10.4?

What do you want in 10.4? (Page 2)
galarneau
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 02:59 AM

For all the hype over Rendevous, I would have thought it a no-brainer to use it for setting up file sharing between Macs. Make it so that in 10.4 all you have to do to share files on your Mac is click a "Rendevous" box in the sharing prefpane. If Apple was really nice, they would make a free small Windows app that would enable Rendevous filesharing on Windows boxes as well.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 03:24 AM

Better/more drivers for (slightly) older peripherals.
My scanner has drivers for OS9 but not OSX - UMAX will never change that - so I'm fukced!
Just about every digital camera works out of the box with no special set up. I want my 3 year old USB scanner to work like that too. At least they could allow OSX apps to access the OS9 driver while it's running under classic. Or better still, make OS 9 drivers work under OS X using some sort of wrapper without the need to boot up classic at all.

Print center is confusing for people, I always have to help people start their print queue after it myteriously stops itself. It should have an icon in the menu bar, shows up when something is printing, optional of course.

Help is useless. I just use the web now. The hand holding task thing in OS 9 was cool for learning. Sort of like 'wizards' on windows but much better as it shows you how to do it, then gets out of your way when you know what you're doing. With the scripting and graphics compositing in OSX I don't see why this couldn't be very powerful and with a decent API easy to add to any application. Arrows, underlines, circles and even animations and videos could appear over the screen to show you what to do.

The Portal. - this one is actually my idea, never heard it anywhere anyway.
I'd like to be able to take a file and assign it a transport protocol and a destination - so if I hit the 'send' button a copy is sent to a specific folder on a remote server. You should be able to use any file transport mechanism available such as ftp, samba, NFS, WebDAV, Email, USB iPod interface, fax, packet radio, whatever. You should be able to get to the send command from a contextual menu, a droppable icon on the finder control bar, and within applications' file menus.

I want an easy way to wake up a remote computer so I can get to its iTunes playlists or share its files. Maybe rendezvous should tell if a machine is really gone or just asleep, so instead of the icon just disappearing (iTunes) or getting a message that xxxxx has gone off line (Finder) the icon indicates the other machine is asleep and gives you a way to wake it up. Right now I have to walk down the hall into the other room and nudge the mouse.

Versioning is an interesting idea - you could do it like application packages. the file is really a folder containing several versions of the file. The package contains a 'rules' file (in XML of course) which defines the way the versioning is handled ( how many copies are kept and for how long, size limit, stuff like that) and an index of the versions. It can be set up on per file basis and is off by default. All this is invisible to the application which sees it as a single file and simply is handed the latest version. Setting the rules for a file as well as handling roll back and version browsing could simply be a standard part of the open and save dialogs.

I'll second splee checking everywhere , and preview plugins sounds cool.

hardware: put the word 'command' on the command key. It really is a pain to explain to someone which button you mean. Hell, most people don't know what an asterisk is much less a swirlly clover leaf flower thingy.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

posthumanus
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 06:07 AM

i'm sorry, i know i shoudn't swear but:

i want the #$&*^%$!! FINDER to stay where i #$&*^%$!! well leave it!

is that too much to ask?

apparently it has been since the origin of X

here's a bad analogy but:

i just bought a big flat-screen JVC, running it via a Panasonic VCR remote: the crappy battery spring in the remote (maybe 20c worth) makes the whole $1000bucks worth of hardware a complete pain in the arse just to change channels

i mean, are these people EVER going to wake up?

let me spell it out for them: User Interface!

okay. i'm finished now

posthumanus

stew
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
At times like this, I'm convinced that UNIX did more damage to computing than it did good with its "worse is better" or "simpler is better than correct" attitude.

Unix is a system built by engineers for engineer, but it's completely inhumane. "everything is a file" may be a nice idea, but a stupid one nonetheless. Dear operating system, my USB sound card is not a file, and neither is my graphics chip. Stop pretending they were.

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for a CVS file system.

Stink different.

Richard Edgar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 06:42 AM

Unix is a system built by engineers for engineers
I disagree. If it was built by engineers, it might work. It was actually built by programmers for programmers. Programmers tend to have a slightly different definition of 'working' which is implied by Weinburg's Second Law: If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilisation.

bonaccij
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 07:48 AM

There are only 3 things I would like to see in 10.4:

1 - I would like to have a feature in Mail.app to remove SELECTED messages from the server instead of either all or nothing. Besides - just about every other email program out there has this.

2 - I would like to see faster (and I mean significantly) redraws of finder windows. They are getting faster every revision, but the just aren't as snappy as they were in the Classic OS's.

3 - (And this really has nothing to do with 10.4) I would like to have them fix the iPod software so that when you transfer your songs is retains the equalizer settings PER SONG. I think having ONE SETTING for all of your songs is silly. Besides, on a good mix, who has ALL JAZZ or ALL ELECTRONIC anyway? I mean GEEZE if it can remember the freaking song, why can't it remember how you want to hear it?
In the end, it�s all about the composition.

wadiuwant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 07:58 AM

I found many interesting requests in the list.

My personal one is to complete the integration of right-to-left language features (as used in Hebrew and Arabic).

xe0
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Nostromo:
4. Start doing some REAL advertising.

Every time Steve promises "we're going to get serious with our ads, just you watch", all we get are stupid, limp-wristed crap like the guy getting blown through the wall. Wow. That really tells me how a Mac can help me get my work done easier.
I second that.. wtf are Apple thinking?

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2004, 09:10 AM

I want them to fix the fscked up Finder.

Labeling of keys: "Command" and "Option" and "Alt" should be the only terms used, and the keys should be labelled accordingly.

In the meantime, someone please explain me what this weird drawing on the option key means.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 09:28 AM

I would like the print centre to come up every time i printed or some other type of print dialogue so that I could monitor the printing and kill printing if i wanted to. I don't want to go looking for it.
10.3 already does that. When you're printing, the printer icon is in the dock so you can monitor the printing. If you want it to stay there all of the time, just tell it to stay in the dock, or drag the printer from ~/Library/Printers/ to the dock (or desktop).

Chris

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 10:25 AM

I'll add my vote in for fixing networking, particularly SMB and AFP. Jaguar was so much better whe it came to handling SMB file sharing. In Panther, as you'll no doubt find another thread, its a total wreck!

One specific suggestion I'd have to make with SMB: Why, oh WHY, does the workgroup setting have to be in Directory Access? Why can't it be part of the Networking preference, so that it actually _changes_ when you switch Locations. This is one of the most downright annoying thing I have against SMB networking in Mac OS X. If it REALLY has to be there, at least provide a button in the networking preference pane to launch it so we don't have to go digging for it (because not everyone knows its there, or what its for).

Make file sharing SO EASY anyone could use it.

For Safari and some other apps, why can't I drag text onto the desktop as a text clipping? This can get pretty annoying. I'm wishing ALL apps can support text clipping (at least especially with Safari).

Saved states -- for shutting down, logging off, etc. It would really be nice to be able to go back to the last point in time, like in Sleep.

Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Insecure bone:
-Animated desktop pictures. Screen transitions are good, but I would love it if Apple could create nature backgrounds that had leaves moving, water rippling...ect.
Support for this feature already exists in the operating system. It can be passed as an argument to he screen saver program to run on the desktop.

There are also programs out there that can do this for you automatically.

But, it would be cool if the controls were built into OS X.

Things to fix:
- networking that actually works
- no more stupid hangups in the finder on disconnecting a network mount
- no lag in the finder as it waits to access a volume, or a file. The biggest pain in my butt is accessing a slow ftp server, and having everything crawl. Equally bad is when i accidently click on an avi, and have to sit there for 30 seconds while the bloody preview loads. The finder needs way more threading. There shouldn't be this much lag and waiting for things to get done.
- I want the brightness lag bug fixed on the powerbooks. I shouldn't have to hesitate when i turn up the brightness on my screen because I fear the system will hang for the next couple of minutes

Things to add:
- a built in CVS system and server (over ssh, with the controls in system preferences). There is this little sourceforge project called cvs finder. It's a contextual menu for the finder, that implements the basic CVS functions. Way more intuitive to use than the other programs out there.
- jogl (a wrapper for open gl in java). i remember something about this, not sure if they actually implemented it yet
- it might be neat if one could record quick voices messages in stickies
- built in theme manager

BenRoethig
Jan 13, 2004, 02:15 PM

1. List network computers on desktop.
2. Applications list in either dock or Apple Menu. In my opinion, this is one of the few things WinXP has over OSX. I currently do this though Fruit Menu, but I'd rather this be an OS feature.
3. Sounds.
4. A choice between Brushed Metal and Aqua.

stew
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by danengel:
Labeling of keys: "Command" and "Option" and "Alt" should be the only terms used, and the keys should be labelled accordingly..
The option key is the alt key. Says so on my iBook's keyboard.

Stink different.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 07:48 AM

Built-in support for Jabra BT Freespeak headset so that it appears in Audio In and Out settings and can be used for VoIP, iChat, etc.
Been waiting most of 2003 for this with support promised by late 2003 from OrangeMicro who have now deferred to 2nd Quarter of 2004.
This sort of delay STINKS.

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by stew:
The option key is the alt key. Says so on my iBook's keyboard.
Of course... I meant 'Command', 'Option', and 'Control'. But there are more important things to fix at the moment.

z|gzag
Jan 14, 2004, 06:55 PM

totally agree with :
Originally posted by pat++:
I want an OS which works. Panther has introduced so many bugs/regressions that it's a pain to use. I want Apple to focus on QA and not rush to release their OS.

I want an Aqua Finder back. BM sucks. I want files to appear on the desktop instantly without needing to click on the Desktop to get it updated. I don't want the icons in the Finder to change randomly. I want to be able to connect to windows shares, I want a network browser which works, I don't want the Finder to lock up when you forget to disconnect from a network drive, and I wouldn't mind getting more speed.
The only thing I'd add is some minor aqua UI tweaking and maybe more strict HIG enforcement, so we can get apps that are more consistent. Ex. preferences dialogs of many apps are very poor, etc.

Oh and the Dock could use some more features for organization, tabs would be nice!
~zig

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
PLEASE! IT'S ALL I WANT!

Maybe Unsanity could make a haxie? I want that too - it used to make OS 9 feel so much more responsive...I don't understand what the purpose of menu blinking is anyway.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 12:45 AM

what I want most:

Return of windowshading.

Yes UnSanity offers a little software program that does that which I use. But I think Apple should put it back into the system.

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/wsx/

Kate
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 09:02 AM

1.Fix Networking

-Networkbrowsing and mounting of shares is counter intuitive, slow, inefficient and the mountpoint is simply annoying.
-It is virtually impossible to keep proper working aliases to networked volumes.
-Using Directory Access to switch on protocols and select workgroups is not at all Mac-like and lacks ease of use, not to mention that workgroup changes are not always reflected in the Finder/Networkbrowser.
-Unmounting of SMB shares fails consistently
-Annoying inconsistency between accessing an entire volume (including the users directory) and accessing the users directory, which is shown separately. This may in fact lead to file loss since control over which went where is at loss.
-Mounted networking shares should go where all other volumes show up, e.g. they should put aliases in the Finder sidebar etc. and in /volumes and on the desktop if selected to be shown there.

2. Finder
-There are numerous bugs and UI inconsistencies, drawing artifacts left behind etc. too many to be listed here.
- Finder speed. Still working with breaks after so many revisions?
- Finder multithreading. It is still insufficient. The Finder comes to a grinding halt at too many simple tasks still. More threads to the Finder, please.
-Separate the Dock better from the Finder. They are blocking each other too often.
-Icon grid spacing should be adjustable by user
- Make Finder either work as a filebrowser OR as a "spatial" Finder as per users choice, no funky mixing please
-Adjust order of menu items in the contextual menu so that most wanted items appear top or based on history directly under the mouse cursor, think a bit along the lines of the late "Finder-Pop"

3. GUI
-Inconsistencies and lack of polish at too many places.
-Icons get displayed in blurred and washed out way too often, even in bigger sizes, compared to previous OS versions.
-System font should be selectable by user
- Font rendering needs much improvement
- Font handling/display needs much improvement on all fronts

4. Printing
- Printer selecting is lacking ease of use
- Printer detection only works for AppleTalk based (mostly old) printers.
- Control of printer features is too complicated
- Font display/handling/print out need much work

5. Drivers
- USB drivers "on board" should cover more devices
- FireWire800 is still disappointing compared to its 400 counterpart
- Support for more internal and external (USB+FireWire) devices that handle DVD/CD RW media, e.g. burn on external FW devices.
- FileSharing and copy/read/write over ethernet to and from AppleShare/SMB servers should be quicker.

6. Dock
- Option for mounting volumes in dock next to e.g. Trash bin?
- Better optical feedback to distinguish active and inactive apps in the Dock
- Better optical feedback to distinguish open apps from just aliases in the Dock

7. Code
- Improve on GCC and include the latest IBM compiler advantages especially for the G5 to get better and more efficient code.

8. APIs
- Make Carbon and Cocoa APIs/Libraries more alike and in synch. Improve Java, improve general library code/efficiency and performance
- OpenGL needs updates and improvements

...to name but a few.

In many aspects Mac OS X is far ahead Mac OS 9, especially in things where 9 never could/would shine, but on some of the more basic aspects, that were easy and nearly unnoticably fluent in 9 it turns out that X has still way to go.
As a more general whish, I'd hope for Apple to take many of the polished and well thought out ways things "just worked" in 9 as an example what to improve in X.
( Last edited by Kate; Jan 15, 2004 at 09:10 AM. )

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Kate:

-Separate the Dock better from the Finder. They are blocking each other too often.
They are and have always been two seperate programs!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2004, 04:52 PM

The only thing I am hoping for with 10.4 is a more refined Finder (the Sidebar is sad).
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
Which effect each other a little too much.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 11:46 AM

Although, I'm overall pleased with Panther, I'm very dissapointed with printing. Apple should be aware of such bugs and fix them soon.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
Although, I'm overall pleased with Panther, I'm very dissapointed with printing. Apple should be aware of such bugs and fix them soon.
Then you probably havent been fighting with the network.. It plain out sucks! :/
Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Which effect each other a little too much.
How? In my opinion the Dock and Finder works totally unaffected by each other?
Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
The only thing I am hoping for with 10.4 is a more refined Finder (the Sidebar is sad).
If you drag the line all the way next to the icons, the name pops up when you hoover the mouse above them. This way you save quite a bit of space.

Xerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 09:38 AM

SPEED, MORE SPEED AND YET MORE SPEED IN EVERYTHING INCLUDING FINDER, ALL APPS...

Spring loaded folders in Dock also...

Sounds...like OS9, need interface sounds or at least option to turn them on.

X

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 11:40 AM

<offtopic>
History of the command key:
They decided they were using the Apple logo for the wrong thing with the Mac, so they put the Command key symbol (and took off. They found the symbol in a book about witches or something AFAIK. However, with the Mac SE the same keyboards could be used with the Mac or the IIgs, so they put the Apple logo back on. Even though today's USB and built-in keyboards won't work on the IIgs, they still have the Apple logo on the key.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
In DP3 they were not.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by stew:

I wholeheartedly agree with the need for a CVS file system.

looks like we'l be getting SGI's XFS filesystem, or maybe somethign based on it, which would be fantastic.

milesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
[B]I'll add my vote in for fixing networking, particularly SMB and AFP. Jaguar was so much better whe it came to handling SMB file sharing. In Panther, as you'll no doubt find another thread, its a total wreck!

One specific suggestion I'd have to make with SMB: Why, oh WHY, does the workgroup setting have to be in Directory Access? Why can't it be part of the Networking preference, so that it actually _changes_ when you switch Locations. This is one of the most downright annoying thing I have against SMB networking in Mac OS X. If it REALLY has to be there, at least provide a button in the networking preference pane to launch it so we don't have to go digging for it (because not everyone knows its there, or what its for).
Yes! YES! YES! When I ultimately figured out how to file share on my parents cross-platform network, I realized I would have no hope of explaining it to them. Why ON EARTH does "Connect to...Browse" turn up something different in the Finder than the Network sidebar? Why can I sometimes mount network servers on the desktop and browse them, but not via the other methods? Why is the SMB workgroup nowhere near the setting to enable SMB sharing? How about printer sharing and the setting to enable it? How about scanner sharing, which you have to enable in Image Capture? Why can I save passwords through some connection methods but not others? Come on! How difficult would it be to have a typical column-window with the type of service on the left and the settings on the right (e.g. Printer Sharing--Location (list)--Appears in Print dialog box (checkbox), etc.). How about telling users where certain names appear? Clever to have an address book entry drawn up for you when you type in your registration info, but what if you want different info? Don't randomly use data I give you for different purposes without telling me.

And where's my Location Manager? I know there are Third Party alternatives, but half your sales are laptops! Who uses multiple users on laptops? The demand for fast-user switching must be lower.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
In DP3 they were not.
Well... pre-beta OSX also had a OS9 GUI, so Aqua hasnt been the only GUI..
I was referring to 10.0+.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Insecure bone:
I call it the function key
That key already exists; it's been on iBook and PowerBook keyboards for some time.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 01:07 AM

Apple listens to it's users? Really? Not that I've noticed.

1. Fix that damn horrible 10.3 network browser. Now. We've tried every fix in the book (and in Apple's KB files) and our students STILL can't browse the Windows domains. Browsing in 10.3 is WORSE than in 10.2.

2. A 2 button scrollwheel mouse OR allow us to un-bundle the Fischer-Price/Sesame Street one button mouse and substitute a Logitech 2 button scrollwheel mouse. This is the main thing that turns people OFF when sitting at a Mac for the first time. They expect 2 buttons, OS X has built-in support for 2 buttons, and anyone who can't fathom 2 buttons probably shouldn't be using a computer in the first place.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen sit down at a Mac, then say "Ewwwww" as they dropped the mouse like the flaming turd that it is, then they moved over to a Windows machine in another part of the lab.

Too bad Apple wasted the Bluetooth mouse on another Telletubbies/Nerf mouse.

It's sad that the first step in setting up a Mac has to be "throw mouse in garbage and spend MORE money on a useable mouse." It gives ammo to the "Macs are an added expense" folks.

3. Start calling the pointlessly-named "Command" key the "Apple" key, dammit. When trying to teach new Mac users (i.e. people I'm trying to convert from Windows) it would be nice if that key actually made some sense. Command? Where does it say command? What's the symbol for command? Apple key, please.

4. Start doing some REAL advertising.

Every time Steve promises "we're going to get serious with our ads, just you watch", all we get are stupid, limp-wristed crap like the guy getting blown through the wall. Wow. That really tells me how a Mac can help me get my work done easier.

Oh, and it would help if Apple actually RAN the ads more than once every other day. I see those stupid Dell interns about 10 times a day...I can't remember the last time I saw the Apple ad. Seeing how seldom they actually run the one commercial they have, you'd think it would stick out, but when your advertising has all the bite of a toothless old man, don't expect people to recall anything about your product. Pathetic.

Tell me this makes sense: Dell = shitty, cheap, off-the-shelf crap, but great advertising. Apple = best hardware/software, but totally ineffective advertising. Ask anyone on the street who the "Dell dude" is, or if they've heard of the "Dell interns", and almost everyone will tell you. Mention Apple, and they'll say "who?"

You've got 4 BILLION DOLLARS in the bank! Stick a crowbar in your wallet and do some REAL advertising. You know, The kind people actually SEE and that makes them want to buy your product. This isn't rocket science.

5. Bring back Apple-N in the Finder to mean "New Folder". Nobody, except stick up the ass pedants ("Well, you know, Apple-N creates a new document, and technically, a new document for the Finder is a window...") care about the crap "new document" theory. Once again, a simple, useable command gets flushed down the toilet for.....what? How does Apple-Shift-N make more sense? It doesn't.

6. Bring back HyperCard. Sorry Apple, AppleScript studio is NOT as easy to learn as HyperTalk was. So many non-computer folk loved HyperCard. Now you have to be a programmer to even understand the damn tutorial in AppleScript Studio. What a waste.

Oh yeah, and before you mention it: I DID send these suggestions to Apple's feedback page.

I'm really holding my breath. (not)
Look seriously when the doctor prescribes Xanax it really is a good idea to take it.
I have Mac

Theodour
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 01:24 AM

2. A 2 button scrollwheel mouse OR allow us to un-bundle the Fischer-Price/Sesame Street one button mouse and substitute a Logitech 2 button scrollwheel mouse. This is the main thing that turns people OFF when sitting at a Mac for the first time. They expect 2 buttons, OS X has built-in support for 2 buttons, and anyone who can't fathom 2 buttons probably shouldn't be using a computer in the first place.
I feel just the opposite. I think two or three button mice are great for lighter work, like web browsing; but when I have to roll my sleeves up, I always plug in the one button mouse ...

My hardcore working mode is best achieved either with key commands, or an "infintely" large mouse button.

Anything more than that is a recipe for RSIs. My fingertips prickle at the thought of doing deadline graphic design or video work with a three-button mouse. Ouch.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Theodour:
I feel just the opposite. I think two or three button mice are great for lighter work, like web browsing; but when I have to roll my sleeves up, I always plug in the one button mouse ...

My hardcore working mode is best achieved either with key commands, or an "infintely" large mouse button.

Anything more than that is a recipe for RSIs. My fingertips prickle at the thought of doing deadline graphic design or video work with a three-button mouse. Ouch.
Try working all night with an Intuos Tablet.
A new definition of pain.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 07:06 AM

1. Networking. SMB and AFP suck. Fix this.
2. Consistency. Mixing BM and Aqua is a PITA.
3. The Dock. Volumes in the space next to the Trash can.
4. The Dock. Allow the Dock to place URLs in folder aliases in the Dock as one can do in the Finder.
5. Preferences. Don't copy Microsoft. Organise the Preferences panel so that Directory services are in the System preferences, preferably in Networking or accounts.
6. The Finder. Allow one always to navigate back to the root of the filesystem. The current idea of having the location in the sidebar as the root of your current navigation is just plain stupid and confusing.
7. Lables. They look ridiculous and behave inconsistently. When selected one cannot see whether a file is labeled or not. Putting all those colours in the contextual menu is idiotic.
8. Multi buttoned mouse. I know one can buy one etc, but Apple should simply offer one, even a rebranded Logitech or something, as an alternative to the one button of wrist pain device they now do.
9. Finder. Consistency sucks. I only use column view, but that's because the others require too much mental homework to navigate due to the proliferation of Windows with the same content.
10. Integrated Help. Put the bloody Help application's icon in the Dock by default. It'll help newbies.

The ones that irritate me the most are the bad networking and BM/Aqua inconsistency. Apart form that I could and can probably live with the system the way it is.
weird wabbit

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2004, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
6. The Finder. Allow one always to navigate back to the root of the filesystem. The current idea of having the location in the sidebar as the root of your current navigation is just plain stupid and confusing.
YES! I can only second this. It makes me go crazy the way Panther is doing it now.

8. Multi buttoned mouse. I know one can buy one etc, but Apple should simply offer one, even a rebranded Logitech or something, as an alternative to the one button of wrist pain device they now do.
Again, I'd like to second. Make it CTO. The single button mouse should be default. An additional $10 gets you three buttons and a scroll wheel, an additional $20 gets you a BT version. Simple & clear. Everybody is happy.

2. Consistency. Mixing BM and Aqua is a PITA.
May I suggest trashing Aqua and going 100% BM or at least giving the option to do so?

Kate
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
YES!May I suggest trashing Aqua and going 100% BM or at least giving the option to do so?
May I suggest a whatever-style Aqua, Fire, Air, Earth GUI which is consistent in the first place? Or at least giving the option?

To make things more complicated I would stress, that fixing the networking issues should be a top priority for 10.3.3 , not somethin for 10.4 in 2005 . There are vague things talked about that are assumed to be found in 10.4, like a 3d Finder. I think there are currently more pressing things on the functionality front that demand attention, rather than another heap of half baked GUI add-ons. Please! Pretty please!

Keda
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 01:41 PM

I'd like some networking & email refinements.

1) Allow an SMB password that could tie into the Windows server. Our network passwords expire every 30 days. Because they are controlled by the windows server, I have to go to a PC to change them.

2) Exchange integration. M$ won't make a full-features Exchange client, so I wish Apple would take this on. It would mean so much to the users in a corporate environment,

Metareye
Jan 20, 2004, 03:24 PM

I would like to see safari-like tabs in the finder. Tabbed finding... ah the possibilites.

lenox
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 06:31 PM

- I would like to have a feature in Mail.app to remove SELECTED messages from the server instead of either all or nothing. Besides - just about every other email program out there has this.
You can tell mail.app to remove messages from the servers when moved from your inbox, which should be perfectly fine for you if you are organized with folders and such, because you could just move SELECTED messages to specified folders.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2004, 06:42 PM

bah silence the option and command keys are fine, the option logo is utter genius. Command is fine too, if some moron doesnt understand tell them once and they do fine, im doing graphic design at university at the minute and theres like 3 mac users in the class and even the gimpy pc kids can grasp which is the command key.
Oh you'll notice all menu shortcuts use the command logo too, see it works

Riemann Zeta
Jan 20, 2004, 07:28 PM

Features I would like to see:

Attenuation of the metal interface. I know some people like it, but most users seem to hate it. I think that iApps could be metal, but all others (e.g. Finder, Safari) should not be. I use DeMetallizer from unsanity and love it.

Virtual Desktops. We have a stable X11, why not have 4 virtual desktops a la most Linux WMs. However, I must admit, expose has really helped desktop window management, plus it's so sexy...

More usage of variable translucency. Because it is damn sexy, 'nuff said.

Most importantly, a better filesystem. HFS is ridiculously old, over 20 years old, and better alternatives exist. BeFS, for example, was incredibly fast and fairly robust. A lot of people are demanding more "metadata" a la the concept FS on top of NTFS in Windows Longhorn (for Microsoft's sake, I hope that is not the actual product name), but I don't see a point. It could make searches a bit faster, yipee.

Look seriously when the doctor prescribes Xanax it really is a good idea to take it.
lol!
( Last edited by Riemann Zeta; Jan 20, 2004 at 07:35 PM. )
God is just a statistic...

Qomn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 07:06 AM

A few requests:

1. I have a severe allergy to brushed metal, which causes me to go out of my way to avoid it - methods include hiding the toolbar on finder windows, not using Safari, iTunes etc. Please give me an option to disable this ugly interface and use Aqua (or better again, OS9) interface instead.

2. Ctrl-click on Finder window, Arrange->By Name\Type etc. Used to be able to do this in OS9, now I have to go to the Finder menu, View, Arrange->By XXX - much more trouble, and very annoying.

3. Global setting for Finder windows, or maybe I'm missing something e.g. I want to hide the toolbar for all Finder windows that I open (to get rid of BM interface), but I need to do this for EACH new window that I open. If I open a window say from the Dock menu, and hide the toolbar, it will be hidden the next time I open it from that place. But if I open the window from the Finder, or open a different window from the Dock, I need to hide the toolbar again. Maybe there's some setting that I've missed.

TC
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 07:21 AM

I want the finder style search to be available in open save dialog boxes.

Having it in open dialogue boxes would obviously make it much faster to be able to find files you want to open.

In the save dialogue box you can either use it to help you find the file you want to write over or the directory you want to save into.

I think this could be a major help to workflow.
Nothing to see, move along.

Qomn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Qomn:
A few requests:

1. I have a severe allergy to brushed metal, which causes me to go out of my way to avoid it - methods include hiding the toolbar on finder windows, not using Safari, iTunes etc. Please give me an option to disable this ugly interface and use Aqua (or better again, OS9) interface instead.

2. Ctrl-click on Finder window, Arrange->By Name\Type etc. Used to be able to do this in OS9, now I have to go to the Finder menu, View, Arrange->By XXX - much more trouble, and very annoying.

3. Global setting for Finder windows, or maybe I'm missing something e.g. I want to hide the toolbar for all Finder windows that I open (to get rid of BM interface), but I need to do this for EACH new window that I open. If I open a window say from the Dock menu, and hide the toolbar, it will be hidden the next time I open it from that place. But if I open the window from the Finder, or open a different window from the Dock, I need to hide the toolbar again. Maybe there's some setting that I've missed.
I almost forgot:

4. In OS9 my PB15'' screen resolution of 1280*854 was perfect, but in OSX I think I'd need something like 2048*1600 to stop menus, title bars, buttons etc. eating up all the pixels on my screen. Since I can't increase my screen resolution it would be nice to have a setting that reduces the font size for menus, as well shrinking the other items I mentioned. OS9 and even Windows in VPC (eek..) look elegant in comparison to the clunky OSX interface. Aqua would be nice if it wasn't so overbearing.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by xe0:

-Save dialogue boxes should be fully editable. (like standard Finder windows)

-More window animations to choose from- like breaking glass when you hit the close box!

-Spring loaded / drag and drop finder icon in the dock

-the + or zoom widget should consistently maximize the window to full screen, and be dock and top bar aware (example- windows xp)

-Tab browsing of some sort within Finder

-More native games built into the OS. (apart from Chess: aka Tetris, a card game of some sort, pinball, checkers, retro 2d game etc)

-And of corse official theme support, including Aqua, Brushed metal and a polished NeXTSTEP UI.
[/B]

Sorry, you are way of the mark, these things will never happen.

z|gzag
Feb 18, 2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Riemann Zeta:
Virtual Desktops. We have a stable X11, why not have 4 virtual desktops a la most Linux WMs. However, I must admit, expose has really helped desktop window management, plus it's so sexy...
X11 has nothing to do with Quartz... its a layer over Quartz, they would not ever use anything to do with X11 to achieve this. Expos� will simply get extra functionality for this, I imagine.

Most importantly, a better filesystem. HFS is ridiculously old, over 20 years old, and better alternatives exist. BeFS, for example, was incredibly fast and fairly robust. A lot of people are demanding more "metadata" a la the concept FS on top of NTFS in Windows Longhorn (for Microsoft's sake, I hope that is not the actual product name), but I don't see a point. It could make searches a bit faster, yipee.
Yes, and I do believe they will add a new FS in 10.4. But about BeFS, it was actually incredibly robust and fairly fast... not the other way around ;-)
~zig

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2004, 10:06 AM

the + or zoom widget should consistently maximize the window to full screen, and be dock and top bar aware (example- windows xp)

-Tab browsing of some sort within Finder
The + button already behaves correctly. It's Windows that exhibits the screwed up behavior. That's why Apple will never change this button's behavior.

As for tab browsing...what is that? The Finder is already fully controllable from the keyboard.

Chris

TC
Senior User
Feb 18, 2004, 06:58 PM

I'd like to see improvements to the dock menu.
I mentioned these ideas a long time ago but just noticed that Illustrator is almost doing one of the things I wanted to see.

Basically Illustrator has a recent items menu in it's dock menu. That is a step in the right direction but it is only available when the app is open. What I would like to see is a recent items menu even when the app isn't running. This would make it much easier to open a document quickly. For apps which aren't in the dock this could be done via a contextual menu.

The other one I would like is to have applescript menu items available in the dock. Several Apple apps have Scripts menus which allow you to add Applescripts to their menu. It would be good if we could do this and have the items appear in the dock menu. Even better would be if there could be some way to specify the menu item to display the output of the apple script. So if we wanted to we could write our own script to display the number of unread messages for a certain mailbox in mail, for example.
Nothing to see, move along.

Forum Links
Forum Rules