Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs available

New iMacs available (Page 3)
DancingBrook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 01:24 PM

Yes.
Or you might consider doing it first, before calling.
I wouldn't spend my time troubleshooting what might be someone else's problems. Eliminate the unkowns variables first.
Third party: meaning none Apple sold third party.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by DancingBrook
Third party: meaning none Apple sold third party.
Hm, so why does Apple has Apple Certified Resellers (or whatever nice names they have? So what would have been the difference if I bought my NVIDIA 6800 Ultra at a reseller instead of at the Apple Store, which I did?

I would think that when a certain reseller is approved, certified or simply found good enough by Apple, it wouldn't make a difference. Heck, even if you sell your Mac the Applecare is sold as well, as it is machine depended, not person depended.

DancingBrook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 01:50 PM

"Hm, so why does Apple has Apple Certified Resellers...?"

To sell computers. Doesn't mean they are going to trouble shoot everything in the store. Apple Care doesn't even cover or guarantee everything sold in their own Apple retail and online stores.

Do what you will. Just don't expect someone else (Apple) to cover all of your decisions. Just read the warranty and the Apple Care agreement. Be aware of the consequences before your decisions.

nunki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by markb8705
if u buy online you gotta wait for it to ship which sucks... go to your store and buy it and enjoy it that very moment!
I'd love to, but so far I haven't been able to find any stores in the area which have them in stock.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by nunki
I'd love to, but so far I haven't been able to find any stores in the area which have them in stock.
None of the 3 Apple stores in the Minneapolis area have the 20" iMacs in stock yet, but they have a limited supply of the 17" models.

I might have waited for the 20" model to come in, but to get the larger hard drive, you have to BTO from Apple, so that's what I've done (as well as adding memory and blue tooth keyboard/mouse). Apple quotes a "3-5 days to ship" with these BTO items - it's surprising that their own stores can't get some stock 20" models in by now.

iBorg

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 9, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by AssassyN
^ This is happening across the board (Powermacs too)...Apple says they're just late changing the internal part #s but the automated program doesn't know that. Everything's fine...it's talking about the new iMac you ordered after the update.

And to Lateralus, that's cool. If I were moving around I'd consider that as well. If you don't need the power, you could certainly use the cash, eh?
Well, with the change from "Sent to Manufacturing" to "Replaced with New Product", the replacement order was put on "Processing Order" and has stayed there ever since. The strange part is that the part numbers in my order have always been correct (in my emails at least). No numbers have changed.

I just hope Apple does meet their own deadline, as it's supposed to ship "on or before" tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath though...

EDIT:

Now "Sent to Manufacturing"... for the second time.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 9, 2005 at 01:31 PM. )

memyselfandimac
May 9, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by iBorg
This is exactly the "version 2" I'd hoped for since last fall! My main complaint with the G5 iMac was the ridiculously low-end graphics, and they've taken care of that, then doubled the video memory, doubled the included RAM, added faster CPU, bigger harddrives, gigabit ethernet, thrown in Airport & Bluetooth for free, and dropped the price $100 ..... how could I resist ordering a tricked out 20" iMac now?

I'm a happy Apple-camper once more!

Now, about that G5 PowerBook that I need around Christmas time this year ........

iBorg
Me too. Had been saving my tax refund this year just for this upgrade, was torn between Tower and iMacs mainly because of the skimpy GPU in previous iMac and Tiger requirements, but upon reading the new models specs I "got wood" and that sealed the deal. Ordered the 17" combo to replace my aging iMac G3 600.

Combo because I already have a external Pioneer A08 FW which work perfectly well as of iLife '05/system, and figured the minor mhz and buss speed between the upper models would be trivial in real life usage though the 20" screen would be awsome. Also figured could apply price dif to that 2G matched pair ram upgrade :-).

We have the previous 17" at work and the screen is more than enough for my needs at home. Got shipment notice today but not in system so can't track yet.

nunki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 04:13 PM

I bought a 20-inch today at an Apple store.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2005, 06:10 PM

ExperCom says my iMac is on it's way to them from Taiwan. They're expecting to ship it out to me on Wednesday.

Yayz...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 09:47 PM

man. i should have waited 9 months for this bad boy! i love it.
iamwhor3hay

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 07:52 AM

Hmm, mine has shipped yesterday from Apple, but it is now on it's way and it's gonna take a long time. People at Apple told me I should expect it around next Tuesday (this was by the end of the week yesterday). This because of the holiday next Monday is.

Truely ridiculous, those many holidays. The only one not free is me.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman
Imagine I have a problem, do you really think Apple will ask me to replace the graphics card with theirs underperforming ATI, take out the RAM and remove the Raptor, put the original Panter on it? Come on, it's a computer after all, not a Rembrandt!
Actually, what you do describe is what happened to me. I sent once a "modified" (more RAM, bigger HD) Powerbook for repairs, and I was told from the dealer to restore the factory components before sending it. I asked why, and the answer was that the Apple repair center will certainly do that (revert to default factory configuration), which would mean that they would take away the extra RAM and HD (which will not be sent back to the client) and they would put in place the original RAM and 16 GB less HD. This was in Belgium.

After that, I would never sell the original RAM and HD from whatever Apple AIO. A Power Mac is perhaps different.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2005, 09:32 AM

Dear Apple Customer / Cher client Apple,

We appreciate your recent purchase from the Apple Store. / Merci
pour votre achat récent sur le Apple Store Wxxxxxxxx.

Due to an unexpected delay, we now anticipate shipping the
following item(s) as follows / Dû ê un délai non-anticipé, nous sommes forcés
de reporter l'expédition de votre commande ainsi:

Z0C0, IMACG5 20/2.0GHZ/SD CTO
will now ship on or before / sera expédié au plus tard le
05/20/2005

We regret any inconvenience this delay may cause. / Nous sommes
désolés de l'inconvénient que ce délai vous poserait.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2005, 05:01 PM

How is Exposé on the new 20" (with 128 MB 9600), and compared to the old 20" (with the 64 MB 5200U)?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2005, 10:33 PM

My 2GHz 17" BTO shipped from ExperCom today. Scheduled delivery for Tuesday.

Yay!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2005, 12:10 AM

am i the only one here that already got theres... i have a friend who ordered his the day after i ordered mine and his still hasn't shipped, and its just because he added the wireless keyboard and mouse...

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 06:42 AM

I put in an order for a 20" iMac last night with all the works (400 GB hard drive, AE, VESA mount, etc...) after canceling my mini order. It's supposed to ship in 3-5 business days!

c2poon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 01:13 PM

I ordered a 20" iMac on May 5, the day the revision came out. As of this morning, my order status for an estimated shipping time has changed from May 13 to May 25. The only add-on I have is the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I wonder what's up with this delay. The Apple Store still indicates an estimated ship time of 3-5 business days if you have any add-ons. I hope mine will ship with the Mac OSX 10.4.1.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by c2poon
I ordered a 20" iMac on May 5, the day the revision came out. As of this morning, my order status for an estimated shipping time has changed from May 13 to May 25. The only add-on I have is the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I wonder what's up with this delay. The Apple Store still indicates an estimated ship time of 3-5 business days if you have any add-ons. I hope mine will ship with the Mac OSX 10.4.1.
I ordered mine with the BT keyboard, mouse and with the 400 GB hard drive and my order status says on or before the 5/20/05. That's a lot longer than 3-5 business days, but a lot shorter than the delay they gave you.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 01:39 PM

Just got my shipping notice! Should get it in 3-4 days so hopefully Wednesday. I can't wait. I love this 12" PB but boy will I enjoy the 17" widescreen and G5 power

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

alimunnik
May 14, 2005, 02:43 PM

Woke up to an e-mail message that my order, which I originaly placed on April 22, has now been delayed to May 25. With a minimum of 2 week shipping time, I would be lucky to get it before mid-June. My only add ons are an extra 512 Mb of RAM and a wireless keyboard & mouse. I suppose that the folks at Apple Shipping are mighty busy.
In frustration I phoned a retailer in not-so-far off Edmonton and they are expecting 34 new iMac 20" by mid-week and Canada Post will deliver one right out to my forest fire tower before the end of next week, all for the same price

trip
Forum Regular
May 14, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
Woke up to an e-mail message that my order, which I originaly placed on April 22, has now been delayed to May 25. With a minimum of 2 week shipping time, I would be lucky to get it before mid-June. My only add ons are an extra 512 Mb of RAM and a wireless keyboard & mouse. I suppose that the folks at Apple Shipping are mighty busy.
In frustration I phoned a retailer in not-so-far off Edmonton and they are expecting 34 new iMac 20" by mid-week and Canada Post will deliver one right out to my forest fire tower before the end of next week, all for the same price
yeah, but would you get the wireless mouse and keyboard ? for that same price ?

i
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

c2poon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
I ordered mine with the BT keyboard, mouse and with the 400 GB hard drive and my order status says on or before the 5/20/05. That's a lot longer than 3-5 business days, but a lot shorter than the delay they gave you.
I wonder what the delay is. I'm in Ontario, Canada... maybe that's why my order is a few days more than yours. Hey do you or anyone for that matter, plan on adding a 512mb stick of RAM from a third party? I'm not sure which one would be best. Also, it's pretty easy to open-up the iMac right?

Thanks,

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by c2poon
I wonder what the delay is. I'm in Ontario, Canada... maybe that's why my order is a few days more than yours. Hey do you or anyone for that matter, plan on adding a 512mb stick of RAM from a third party? I'm not sure which one would be best. Also, it's pretty easy to open-up the iMac right?
Where in Ontario? I'm in Toronto, and my 20" with 400 GB and wireless kbd/mouse still says shipping May 20th. I ordered the day of release though, and who knows if they'll hit that May 20 date. They've already missed the May 13th date.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 09:01 PM

I didn't order mine until 5/13/05 and it still says that it's supposed to ship on 5/20/05.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2005, 10:58 PM

my friend ordered his the day after they were released and his still hasn't shipped and all he added was the wireless keyboard and mouse and it had to be "sent to manufacturing" mine got here 3 business days after i ordered it, but i left mine completely stock

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 11:36 AM

I waited several days to order mine, to see if any new problems arose (or if the fan problem was still an issue!), but finally "pulled the trigger," and ordered a BTO 20" iMac (1 GB RAM, 400 GB HD, bluetooth keyboard/mouse, and AppleCare) on 5/13/05. My order status is "processing" and says it will ship "on or before 5/20," which fits the reported "3-5 business day shipping."

Hope it's sooner - can't wait to start using this little beauty! Now, if Apple can just get the kinks out of building the G5 PowerBook at about 2 GHz to replace my aging TiBook 1GHz, I'll be one happy camper! (I should be able to talk my wife into this by about Christmas ........)

iBorg

Frogmella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 04:20 AM

Yay! Mine's on the lorry to be delivered to today. Right, no iTunes, no TV because I don't want to miss the doorbell!

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 06:30 AM

I really really want one of these, the 20" inparticular. Shame I'm never going to be able to afford it.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 06:31 AM

I thought that too, but then I found the 6 months interest free credit option hidden away on the Apple UK site...

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 08:04 AM

Still no good to me. By the time I have enough money I'm sure there'll be a brand new iMac. I have made it my mission to try and get me one of these however. I love them.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 08:09 AM

With a decent paying job and a little hard work I'm sure one could afford the next revision.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Frogmella
Yay! Mine's on the lorry to be delivered to today. Right, no iTunes, no TV because I don't want to miss the doorbell!
Congrats.

What did you order and was it a BTO?

My BTO 20" is still at "Sent to Manufacturing".

Frogmella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Congrats.

Standard 20" but with the wireless keyboard/mouse. Seems to be a 5-day build and a painful 7 days to ship to UK ("Fast Ship (EMEA)") - assuming it gets here today, anyway!

TC
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
With a decent paying job and a little hard work I'm sure one could afford the next revision.
Has to be the most patronising post I've seen in a while.
Could one let us in on one's own line of work?
Nothing to see, move along.

Frogmella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 10:03 AM

Mmmm... it's here and it's GORGEOUS!
Anyone want me to run some benchmarks (and can tell me how)?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 10:12 AM

Congrats.

I ordered mine 5/13, and this morning, my order status just changed to "sent to mfg," with expected ship date still "on or before 5/20."

Hearing several people not having theirs yet, ordering 1 1/2 weeks before me, I'm expecting to see a delay ..... hope not .....

iBorg

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 10:30 AM

Does anyone know what kind of audio connector we need to connect to the optical in on a surround system?
Mine is still in "Processing Order", can we cancel the order before it's sent to manufacturing if it's a BTO system?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 11:11 AM

Mmmm... it's here and it's GORGEOUS!
Congrats! However, just for the record: You suck.

Anyone want me to run some benchmarks (and can tell me how)?
1) Download the 1080p version of this trailer.
2) Unzip the file (if the Finder hasn't already unzipped it for you).
3) Click on the file to launch QuickTime 7.
4) In QuickTime go to the "Window" menu to show the movie info.
5) Play the video and watch how many fps you get.

I'm expecting about 18 fps. (The normal 1280x544 version should play at the full 24 fps.)

Frogmella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 11:49 AM

Congrats! However, just for the record: You suck.

1) Download the 1080p version of this trailer.
2) Unzip the file (if the Finder hasn't already unzipped it for you).
3) Click on the file to launch QuickTime 7.
4) In QuickTime go to the "Window" menu to show the movie info.
5) Play the video and watch how many fps you get.

I'm expecting about 18 fps. (The normal 1280x544 version should play at the full 24 fps.)
Nope. Between 12 and 18; mostly around 14.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 11:59 AM

Nope. Between 12 and 18; mostly around 14.
OK. Thanks for doing that. Gorgeous isn't it?

It's interesting you only got around 14 fps. That seems low. Did you have your processor performance set in the System Preferences on "Automatic"? If so it might do a lot better with "Highest". Somebody with a single 2.0 in a Power Mac (ie. Power Mac 2.0 with one of the CPUs turned off) got 18. I don't think it's the bus speed, since those with the iMac 1.6 got 15 fps.

Also, when you get a bit more time, can you also test the 1080p version of the BBC clip? I'm expecting 12 for that one, even with the processor set to "Highest".

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 03:16 PM

My BTO has been upgraded to "sent to manufacturing"!

rockrocks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 08:49 PM

i just bought the base model and i LOVE it. my ibook is on its way to ebay. i'll miss it, but i just couldn't pass this deal up- the performance and feature set for the price is great.

i also like the more sensitive sleep light- my ibook's sleep light unfortunately doubled as a night light for my bedroom.

that trailer played at about 12-14 fps for the most part... it peaked at 17.

Butch Hauke
May 16, 2005, 09:37 PM

Unless you absolutely need to do a BTO or are outside the U.S., why not try one of the popular Mac mail order stores? I just ordered the base model today at MacZone and it will be here in two days! No sales tax and they are currently offering free ground shipping. MacZone has the base and top end models in stock, so I can't see any reason for waiting for Apple. MacConnection also has some of the models in stock, as does ClubMac.

I can't wait to get mine. I've been plugging along with a G4/450 Sawtooth for a long time, and it's just getting too slow. This will probably be the largest speed increase I've ever experienced in all my days of using Macs (around 20 years now).

Butch

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
Unless you absolutely need to do a BTO or are outside the U.S., why not try one of the popular Mac mail order stores? I just ordered the base model today at MacZone and it will be here in two days! No sales tax and they are currently offering free ground shipping. MacZone has the base and top end models in stock, so I can't see any reason for waiting for Apple. MacConnection also has some of the models in stock, as does ClubMac.

I can't wait to get mine. I've been plugging along with a G4/450 Sawtooth for a long time, and it's just getting too slow. This will probably be the largest speed increase I've ever experienced in all my days of using Macs (around 20 years now).

Butch
EDU discount and cheaper bluetooth mouse and keyboard were the main reasons I purchased through the apple store. The $100 rebate doesn't hurt.

Butch Hauke
May 16, 2005, 11:13 PM

EDU discount and cheaper bluetooth mouse and keyboard were the main reasons I purchased through the apple store. The $100 rebate doesn't hurt.
Yes, I can relate to saving a few greenbacks. But I'm the type of person who just can't stand waiting so long after I decide I want something. And I've already waited a long time to upgrade, so I really don't feel like playing Apple's guessing game this time!

Butch

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 06:38 AM

It's shipped (w00t!) but by Sameday Right-O-Way. The last time I got something thru them was a small item from Apple which shipped from California. IIRC it was ground shipping, but I couldn't track it until it hit Canada, which kinda defeats much of the point of tracking of the package.... They claim it's because it's because it's not the same company in the US, but true or not, they've got to do something about their tracking.

Anyways, it looks like I might not get my iMac until the end of the month.

BTW Apple, get with the program. "SAME DAY RIGHT AWAY" is not the name of the company. The only reason I found "Sameday Right-O-Way" quickly is because there is an Macworld forum thread called "What the heck is 'same day right away' courier?".

At least they're not shipping by FedEx ground... FedEx air is great, but FedEx ground shipping sucks.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 17, 2005 at 07:01 AM. )

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 04:55 PM

My VESA adapter mount came in today and my Airport Express base station also shipped today! Now I just need the iMac and memory to come in.

alimunnik
May 19, 2005, 04:03 PM

After 3 delays from Apple, and facing the prospect of not receiving my order until well into June, I finally phoned WestWorld Computers in Edmonton to see what was cooking there. They said 34 iMac 20's were on their way from sunny California. That was Saturday afternoon. The following Tuesday morning Canada Post dumped a big box right into my lap. Inside was the new iMac 20 with 1Gb RAM and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I couldn't believe my eyes. Those guys at WestWorld are terrific!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2005, 04:19 PM

Anyways, it looks like I might not get my iMac until the end of the month.
Yep. According to Apple, it should arrive within 8 to 11 business days, which means sometime between May 26 and May 31, at least 1 more week. Oh well, it's not as if I really need it right this moment, since my Cube 1.7 GHz works just fine. I just wanted a Mac (my Cube) at work sooner rather than later.

One 1 GB stick of RAM coming too. Hopefully that should arrive by the time the iMac does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules