Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Most Interesting People You've Worked With?

Most Interesting People You've Worked With?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 10:30 PM

OK, I just started at a moving company. And honestly I have to say every time I get a new job I realized just how screwed up some people in this world are. I don't know, I guess it always exposes me to people who I wouldn't normally meet at say school, or church or other social things I might go to.
I just started with a moving company and... I have to say these are some of the strangest (read that, most vulgar) people I've ever met. I have NEVER heard anyone curse as much as these guys do. Like, I went to a public high school and you'd hear some kids carry on using "the f word" (censors would cut that out) every second word. But I have never heard a 5 minute conversation go on where at least 25% of all syllables uttered were either Fu or uck.
There's this lady Velma who works there (I'm not even kidding her name is Velma) and... I think she's going to give me nightmares. She actually kind of reminds me of my previous female boss in a warehouse/reciving dept. Only my last one was at least nice and didn't realize she got in the way when she was trying to some how be useful (Note to any women who want to work in warehouses, if you can not LIFT, leave! Your direction is not needed, those of us who CAN lift know what needs to be done, and needlessly reorganizing things instead of doing real work is not helpful!) I don't think she's shampooed or conditioned in a good five years. And her voice sends shivers down my spine... it's like always and abrasive ear grinding nag....
Add to that guys who drive down streets ogling the trashiest dressed women. Guys who make 300 dollars a week and spend the majority of it on booze and smokes.... and.... yah... they look at me weird when I explain that this week end no I won't be partying at the bar, or having sex with some woman I don't know... I'll be preaching...
That said, it's cool the two customers I have had so far were a Rabi and his family, though he wasn't there most of the time, so I chatted with his wife while I moved their stuff. After chatting a bit about what Israel was like and explaining that I really wanted to learn Hebrew and a few other topics, like acceptance of people despite their disobedience to bible teachings she remarked, "I never thought I'd be discussing this sort of thing with the movers"
As well today we moved a couple, and the wife of the pair had actually graduated from my college. Because of that I made sure to mention that my church is probably one of the bestest in Winnipeg

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 10:46 PM

Oh Superchicken- welcome to the real world honey. Have fun with it. You'll be fine. But you musn't discuss religion on the job dear!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2005, 10:47 PM

You said "most interesting" in your title, but I'm thinking you're not very interested in these people. A more reasonable title might have been "Most Annoying People You've Worked With."

You obviously don't find these chaps "interesting", you find them vulgar, ignorant, and unclean. Ironically, you have a line in there about tolerance.

Pretty sure the moving industry is not the place for you.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 11:50 PM

Ouch... if you were anywhere near on the mark I'd be hurt. It's an interesting situation because the type of people I work with are nothing like the types of people I normally surround myself with. Actually I genuinely like most of them, or at least most of the ones I've worked with, two of the guys today I'm fairly indifferent to. But one of them was genuinely good to get to know, as well as the other four guys I've worked with. That said I don't like the management at all. That said one of them a sixteen year old I'm trying to actually help him see through gentle subtle questions that perhaps there is more to life than sex drinking and weed. It's clear from just talking to him that he needs some sort of direction in his life otherwise he's going to be just as bad if not worse than his dad is.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2005, 11:57 PM

For someone who claims to be religious, you do quite a bit of judging others. Or haven't you gotten to that part where Jesus talks about that?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 11:57 PM

You're young. Get some popcorn and sit back for a while. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

And remember everyone is having a time watching you, as well.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 16, 2005, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
For someone who claims to be religious, you do quite a bit of judging others. Or haven't you gotten to that part where Jesus talks about that?
I don't think you understand the theological aspect of what you are saying. On the surface, what you say sounds good. But Jesus preached something different.

SC: There's your harvest

Matthew 9:36-38 NASB
Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. "Therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest."

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jul 16, 2005, 12:08 AM

When I was an air courier, I flew with a former Iraqi fighter pilot.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I don't think you understand the theological aspect of what you are saying.
Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.

Matthew 7:1-5

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye?

Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 16, 2005, 12:15 AM

I have worked with some really interesting people. Probably the most interesting was when I was a Proctor and I worked with a guy from Colombia. He was desperate to leave Colombia and his only opportunity was through a student visa. He found woman to marry him for citizenship, paid her a fortune, and she ratted on him and kept the money. There's a lot more to the story, but it's mostly a blur to me now.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 12:16 AM

Thanks RR. And yah that's the main reason I haven't quit yet. There's at least two who I think I have a chance to actually help. Though I have noticed I'm kind of looked at as if I'm not quite real because I don't get all angry, punch customer's stuff when I'm frustrated, and don't talk smack about everything I see. I imagine if I can stay in there for even a few more weeks I'll start getting the normal, "so wait... what's this Christianity thing anyway" question.

By the way the whole don't discuss religion at work is out these days. Least with anyone under thirty. You still get some people who are bloody insecure about their own beliefs and are scared to talk respectfully and understandingly about them with others. But for the most part these days everyone's willing to say that they believe this that and the other thing, though they're not always sure why.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 16, 2005, 01:13 AM

So, you're taking Him literally?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 02:04 AM

Way to read in a 21st Century understanding and world view on a 1st Century sermon.

Judge in Jesus context is speaking of actual judgement, nor recognition of a flaw. Randman I shall give you an example. In your case, you have shown a flawed understanding of Christian scripture. This is a fault in you. However it is not sin in and of itself (though a dubious argument might be made by some). I can by the standards Jesus means to present still recognize that you have not excelled in something, in this case biblical interpretation. Judgement however would be for me to say that because you have not done properly what you set out to do, you are thus a unlovable, worthless person. When I make an inward evaluation of someone's soul and decide whether they are worthwhile, or not then I am judging. However when I simply recognize that someone is a certain way, that is not the type of judgement Jesus is talking about. How do I know this?
There is a concept that goes, "Scripture interprets scripture". The book of James says that God does not tempt anyone to sin. God inspired scripture, the epistle writers often cast down the type of judgement you are condemning on people within the church who were leading others astray. If God inspired these writers (Paul, Peter, John etc.) then we must assume that they are not sinning, AKA going against Jesus in their actions. Thus we can follow their example and realize that Jesus did not mean that we should be ignorant to faults around us be they in people or in other things.
That said, I have many flaws, if you wish to point them out that's your choice, but please don't go accusing me of things I haven't even done. I have done many wrong things, at least make sure your argument against me is valid. At which point however if you bother to read enough scripture to fully understand all my flaws, I hope that you will come to a saving knowledge in Christ, develop into a mature believer, and realize that it is not your job to go looking for my faults, or to bring them up in hostile manners

Have a nice day.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 02:06 AM

By the way is the KJV honestly the best translation you could find? Try bible.org for their NET translation, or at least find an online copy of the NIV with Bible Gateway, or try the NASB, NKJV, etc... if it says ye the translation is probably not as accurate as a newer one either.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2005, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
Ouch... if you were anywhere near on the mark I'd be hurt. It's an interesting situation because the type of people I work with are nothing like the types of people I normally surround myself with. Actually I genuinely like most of them, or at least most of the ones I've worked with, two of the guys today I'm fairly indifferent to. But one of them was genuinely good to get to know, as well as the other four guys I've worked with.
I stand corrected, then. That's indeed showing some interest. Perhaps that should have been in the original post?

I think sometimes your writing style/phrasing leads me to misinterpret what you're actually saying.

I'm still boggled that you're a mover...

Railroader
Banned
Jul 16, 2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
When I was an air courier, I flew with a former Iraqi fighter pilot.
Now that, would probably be a guy with some stories to tell.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 16, 2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
I'm still boggled that you're a mover...
He's says he's been working out. I am not surprised. He's probably pretty good. He'll also probably be able to skip the gym because of this job too.

Actually, it's perfect work for someone who's eventually going into a pastoral position.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2005, 02:16 AM

He's probably pretty good.
I bet you're right. SC doesn't seem the type to do anything half-assed, nor one to shirk responsibilities. Plus, he knows the value of "stuff".
Actually, it's perfect work for someone who's eventually going into a pastoral position.
Why do you say that?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 16, 2005, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Why do you say that?
A lot of people thinking of becoming pastors never really get out into the world. This job will expose SC to a broad spectrum of society and prepare him for dealing with all kinds of people.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 02:29 AM

In any case, nice to see that you haven't lost your, eh, innocence yet. Everything in the world is still new and interesting to you. Just wait another year or two and you will see how repetitive and soulless life is, and after that you will spend your summer jobs ignoring all the people around you and wondering how much longer you have until you clock out.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 16, 2005, 02:31 AM

This is not his first job Kerrigan.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 04:50 AM

I am currently 22.

Since I was 17, I have been working generally in the IT field of things. Tech support at Apple Australia, sales at a reseller, service for a couple of years, (whoever designed the ibook was a sadist from a service perspective) etc. Then some generic desktop/server admin for a small web development company.

Really hated it. The 9-5 (or 8:30-5:30 more commonly) work week was an absolute soul killer for me, not to mention all the corporate ******** that goes with it (yes I was 10 minutes late to work today, did you notice the 5 hours of unpaid overtime I did last week? No? Irrelevant? Simply fascinating.)

Six months ago I made a rather drastic career change, and ventured into the world of prostitution. qnxde biggalo, male giggilo. I won't start a "self harm" debate here because it's beyond the scope of this but suffice to say I've never been in a more satisfying job in my life. Anyway, onto the actual point of all this - the people I work with (males and trannies) are among the most interesting, reasonable, friendly, understanding and FUNNY (my god I laugh) people I have ever met.

I've made a bunch of awesome, meaningful relationships with people that could never happen in most other lines of work due to the clinical, "Office Space"-ey atmosphere that seems to come with so many.

Having recently met a guy I really like, I don't intend on doing this for much longer but I have found the experience incredibly rich (pun not intentional ) and enjoyable. Honestly, the gamut of people you work with, and the atmosphere is incredible. Sometimes I come into work when I'm not even rostered on purely for the social interaction.

btw, yes it is legal here, and safe sex practices are absolutely enforced (duh.)

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
By the way is the KJV honestly the best translation you could find? Try bible.org for their NET translation, or at least find an online copy of the NIV with Bible Gateway, or try the NASB, NKJV, etc... if it says ye the translation is probably not as accurate as a newer one either.
You've been taken in by the liberal lies dude. The KJV is the only translation to be concerning yourself with.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 06:58 AM

Is it confusing having so many variations on the gospel, and then having to guess to which one is the truth, and which is an erroneous translation? Minesweeper anyone?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2005, 07:34 AM

Frank Kozik was actually an employee of mine for a few months in about 1990 or so right before he bought his first flat press. After that, he moved his press into some of our empty space for a year or so.

The Two Daves from The Jesus Lizard were waiters at a restaurant I cooked at in the early eighties. They were roommates at the time, and they had a cat named Dave.

Edit: oops, sorry to veer Bible Class off topic.
( Last edited by chris v; Jul 16, 2005 at 07:41 AM. )

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jul 16, 2005, 08:59 AM

Now that, would probably be a guy with some stories to tell.
You betcha. We would go get dinner after work and chat.
He was working 3 jobs so he could bring his "fat wife" from Iraq.
She had to stay in hiding.
He loved Iraq but hated Saddam.
Last that I heard he had went back to fly cargo and stuff.
I wish him all the luck.

He had no ill fellings towards me for doing my job in the first Gulf War.
He told me they weren't stupid. There was no way they were going to fly against western pilots.
He said when they first took Kuwait, they celebrated. They had a great victory for Iraq.
But then the reality setteled in. They knew a "great storm was arising".
He knew the country would pay. He flew his plane to Iran and was detained by the Iranians.(jailed) And apparently this is how he got to come to America.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 09:04 AM

Everyone step away from the book and no one gets hurt.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Hash
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by wolfen
You're young. Get some popcorn and sit back for a while. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

And remember everyone is having a time watching you, as well.
Well said.

Meeting different people is a good idea, that way you will learn that there are people who may different values and life.. and they enjoy it.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde
I am currently 22.

Since I was 17, I have been working generally in the IT field of things. Tech support at Apple Australia, sales at a reseller, service for a couple of years, (whoever designed the ibook was a sadist from a service perspective) etc. Then some generic desktop/server admin for a small web development company.

Really hated it. The 9-5 (or 8:30-5:30 more commonly) work week was an absolute soul killer for me, not to mention all the corporate ******** that goes with it (yes I was 10 minutes late to work today, did you notice the 5 hours of unpaid overtime I did last week? No? Irrelevant? Simply fascinating.)

Six months ago I made a rather drastic career change, and ventured into the world of prostitution. qnxde biggalo, male giggilo. I won't start a "self harm" debate here because it's beyond the scope of this but suffice to say I've never been in a more satisfying job in my life. Anyway, onto the actual point of all this - the people I work with (males and trannies) are among the most interesting, reasonable, friendly, understanding and FUNNY (my god I laugh) people I have ever met.

I've made a bunch of awesome, meaningful relationships with people that could never happen in most other lines of work due to the clinical, "Office Space"-ey atmosphere that seems to come with so many.

Having recently met a guy I really like, I don't intend on doing this for much longer but I have found the experience incredibly rich (pun not intentional ) and enjoyable. Honestly, the gamut of people you work with, and the atmosphere is incredible. Sometimes I come into work when I'm not even rostered on purely for the social interaction.

btw, yes it is legal here, and safe sex practices are absolutely enforced (duh.)
What kind of job?

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2005, 09:44 AM

Not reading comprehension training that's for sure.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 10:00 AM

Now if only you could master paragraphs we'd all be so proud...
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hash
What kind of job?
He takes it up the bum for money.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 04:28 PM

Wow, now thats what I call 'taking it up the ass' at work every day.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 01:19 AM

Well being Jewish I don't want to get myself involved in the Bible class already in progress, but I will say its better in the original and without any translation.

Back on topic, I have worked at a few jobs (Fitness desk manager, research assistant, university of maryland dining services, and emergency medical technician), but only one has had interesting people.
Some of the medics I worked with had the strangest previous jobs I can imagine. One guy was a chef, another a lawyer, another a printer, bus driver, couple guys from the army, a real mix of people. I would discuss religion with just about every one of them since I was generally the first orthodox jew they encountered willing to answer their questions. I never had a problem with this and was never offended or anything.

The rest of you guys really have more interesting stuff I guess, but hey I'm only 21. I have good stories from working on the ambulances in Israel though, but I'll save those for an appropriate thread.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2005, 05:47 PM

I'm tempted to avoid a call in to work tomorrow... I got the most brutal sun burn ever yesterday.... painful...

Forum Links
Forum Rules