Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing OS 9.1

Installing OS 9.1
Lanlord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 03:59 PM

OK, I have downloaded OS 9.1.
My question to everyone is this:
Can I burn and install CD from the downloaded images?
If I don't do this what is the best way to install it, do I have to mount everyone of the 15 images and do it that way?
Thanks in advance

woody97470
Jan 11, 2001, 04:21 PM

Double click on "Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi". This will create an Installer on your desktop which you can save to disk by dragging it or you can run it from there.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2001, 05:09 PM

I believe that what Lanlord wants to know is how to make a *bootable* installer CD for Mac OS 9.1, rather than just putting the OS installer on a CD. This would require having a System Folder, etc. for the Mac to boot up from, so that you could do clean install, etc.

I've archived alot on CD-R's, but haven't made bootables - anyone have the instructions for doing this efficiently?

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

krockls1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 05:21 PM

its actually pretty easy. All you have to do is to drop a "blessed" system folder into the main directory you are planning on burning. Some programs like toast have a button you can click which says "make bootable" this is OK, but not necessarily needed. Just make sure that the folder icon has the "happy mac" on it and it is blessed. If you cant get it to bless, just drag out the system file and put it back in, that should do the trick. As for the system folder, you can make one from your CD by installing a fresh one into the volume you're pressing on, or you can "borrow" the folder from your norton utilities CD or something, which is nice, because it's low memory and already has the system files you need. Just have to put up with the stupid desktop pictures that are burned into the system, but hey.

------------------
Kevin Rock
Kevin Rock

Lanlord  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 05:23 PM

Cool, guys.
Thanks for all the info, I will give it a shot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules