Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If a asteroid was going to hit the earth...

If a asteroid was going to hit the earth...
Kevin
Baninated
Oct 21, 2007, 12:36 PM

And you have 20 minutes to live and knew it. What would you do in that 20 minutes?

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 12:42 PM

20 minutes? We'd likely all know for years and years.

Depends - am I alone or with people when I hear this news? I mean if I was on the subway or in the tub or in an airplane that would change things.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 21, 2007, 12:51 PM

So my guess is that you'd spend that time discussing with yourself what to do. As far as having known for year and years. Yes. but I am saying the last 20 minutes of your life .. if you knew, what would you do.

This is hypothetical. Not meant to be taken too seriously.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 01:07 PM

I would go swimming.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 01:09 PM

I think he is saying there is no way an asteroid would just show up one day 20 minutes to impact. We would know about it for quite some time beforehand.

As to your hypothetical question: I guess I would try to tell all my loved ones that I love them. Not much you can do in 20 minutes really.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 21, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
I think he is saying there is no way an asteroid would just show up one day 20 minutes to impact. We would know about it for quite some time beforehand.
Right. But even then there would be that last 20 minutes that you had before hitting the earth.
As to your hypothetical question: I guess I would try to tell all my loved ones that I love them. Not much you can do in 20 minutes really.
That is why I made it a short time. To see what kind of creative comments I would get.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 21, 2007, 02:50 PM

Watch all of the other people over-reacting. Maybe ask if anyone I saw wanted consoling.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 02:51 PM

Well, if we knew years in advance I would have told everyone that I love them, etc. So…

I reckon I'd get a 12 pack of beer and a lawn chair, then just watch and wait. *shrugs*

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 03:27 PM

Find the best spot to watch it come in and bring my loved ones with me. Beer and lawn chair sounds about right. It would be quite a sight! Wouldn't miss it for the world.... Hmmph.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 03:29 PM

i'm with cybergoober on this one actually. i have a place here in boston i would just love and sit to watch the sucker come in. and another if i were in california.

*you should have backed the thread title editing idea

abe
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
And you have 20 minutes to live and knew it. What would you do in that 20 minutes?
I'd say a prayer then call a heroin dealer (are they in the Yellow Pages under "Heroin"?) and tell him to stop on by for the biggest sale of his life. Then, I'd call my far flung loved ones and exchange good-byes. I'd buy some heroin, crack, meth and pot from the guy and invite my pretty neighbor over for a party and offer her a choice of liquers, foods or illegal intoxicants. I'd tell her we had 10 minutes and if she refused or took too much time to decide I'd bid her well and say good-bye to this world in solitude, finding out why smack is so seductive.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 04:04 PM

I'd enjoy one of my fine Nicaraguan cigars.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 04:17 PM

I would put my lovely dogs to sleep, and then play some Asteroids until I sleep myself or it is game over…

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2007, 04:24 PM

Grab a beer and pray.

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 04:27 PM

I would call up Bruce Willis. Duh.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2007, 04:30 PM

So just how would they know it was on its way? What if they weren't looking the right way? I mean, even a little ball of dirt could do a lot of damage.

I mean, it's not like the Tunguska object sent an e-mail before it made a ****ing house-call.

Fair enough, it was a while ago, but all the same...

And it's "an" asteroid, not "a" asteroid. Christ. Reading that here is even more disturbing that the idea of worrying about getting wiped out by an interplanetary dingleberry.
( Last edited by PER3; Oct 21, 2007 at 04:37 PM. )

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 04:33 PM

Pre-asteroid sex is better than make-up sex.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Cipher13
Oct 21, 2007, 04:38 PM

20 minutes? That's a bit of a stretch. I'm intent on seeing the end of the world from a certain spot in North Sydney, and hell if I can get there in standard traffic in 20 minutes, let alone during armageddon... and that's without even having time to pick up some cold beer and an esky, my iPod with Symphony X primed, my mates and some hotties.

Ah, and of course the whole family thing.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Oct 21, 2007, 04:41 PM

easy one. Hold my son, smell his hair, and give him the biggest bowl of ice cream he's ever seen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 21, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I would put my lovely dogs to sleep, and then play some Asteroids until I sleep myself or it is game over…
Ah...irony.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2007, 06:20 PM

I would sit out on the porch with a few beers and watch everybody else go nuts.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Oct 21, 2007 at 07:06 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 06:30 PM

and laugh your ass off?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by PER3 View Post
So just how would they know it was on its way? What if they weren't looking the right way? I mean, even a little ball of dirt could do a lot of damage.

I mean, it's not like the Tunguska object sent an e-mail before it made a ****ing house-call.

Fair enough, it was a while ago, but all the same...

And it's "an" asteroid, not "a" asteroid. Christ. Reading that here is even more disturbing that the idea of worrying about getting wiped out by an interplanetary dingleberry.
A little ball of dirt would disintegrate upon entry of our atmosphere. There are astronomers monitoring the objects in the vicinity, plotting their trajectories. Also, It would take an object of considerable size to wipe us out so, yes we would know about it for quite some time*.

*The scientists and our governments would know about it, at least. Whether or not they decided to share that information with us right away is another issue altogether. Even so, an object of that size would be observable by amateurs as well, so… yeah I reckon we'd know.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I would sit out on the porch with a few beers and watch everybody else got nuts.
You’d sit around watching everybody else’s nuts?!?

Well, to each his own...

I’d probably go make a thread about it on MacNN.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 06:36 PM

*The scientists and our governments would know about it, at least. Whether or not they decided to share that information with us right away is another issue altogether. Even so, an object of that size would be observable by amateurs as well, so… yeah I reckon we'd know.
thought of this line from armageddon when i read your post

"President: We didn't see this thing coming?
Dan: Well, our object collison budget's about a million dollars. That allows us to track about 3% of the sky, and beg'n your pardon sir, but it's a big-ass sky."

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
20 minutes? That's a bit of a stretch. I'm intent on seeing the end of the world from a certain spot in North Sydney, and hell if I can get there in standard traffic in 20 minutes, let alone during armageddon... and that's without even having time to pick up some cold beer and an esky, my iPod with Symphony X primed, my mates and some hotties.

Ah, and of course the whole family thing.
Hahaha, Symphony X would be brilliant. Which album do you suppose would be the most fitting? Paradise Lost might work, especially the song "Set the World on Fire."

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I’d probably go interject a grammar critique on MacNN.
To thine own self be true! </polonius>

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 07:12 PM

I'd gather my 4-year old son and my 6-year-old daughter in my arms, point to the sky and say "Look, kids...Santa's coming!" Then I'd laugh.

Actually I have no offspring.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
To thine own self be true! </polonius>

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2007, 08:56 PM

I'd call my Mother in Law and say, "see, it did not matter that I was not a MD, or lawyer after all." Then I wold laugh twice and hang up.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
easy one. Hold my son, smell his hair, and give him the biggest bowl of ice cream he's ever seen.
That is just . . . beautiful.

As for me, I would grab some beer, or a nice bottle of wine if I had one, sit someplace outdoors, and watch the show.
(I would want to do the whole called-the-loved-ones thing but I am assuming all communication channels would be overloaded. And they know anyways that I love them. Although there is this one woman who has captured my heart, I might try and call her . . . )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Oct 21, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
I'd gather my 4-year old son and my 6-year-old daughter in my arms, point to the sky and say "Look, kids...Santa's coming!" Then I'd laugh.

Sick, man, sick!

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 22, 2007, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post

Cipher13
Oct 22, 2007, 04:19 AM

Hahaha, Symphony X would be brilliant. Which album do you suppose would be the most fitting? Paradise Lost might work, especially the song "Set the World on Fire."
That'd definitely be fitting, though if it came down to it, I'd have to listen to V: The New Mythology Suite in it's entirety, along with Of Sins and Shadows, Candlelight Fantasia, and of course, The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

Music to live to, and music to die to. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2007, 04:20 AM

i think a beer and some friends would be all i want.

its funny...i had a dream about that the other night.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2007, 07:24 AM

We have slightly better technology than we did in 1908. We know where the objects out there are now and which direction they're heading.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2007, 07:25 AM

I would put on my scuba gear and hope that my tanks where full with the right mix of gas for an extended underwater stay

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2007, 08:11 AM

I'd call up Al Gore and laugh in his face.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2007, 08:13 AM

Commenting on a typo is one thing. Criticizing the whole bloody forum for one typo in a title is just over the top. I'll point out that users cannot edit their own titles after a fairly short period of time, so a missed typo in a title is not that uncommon. And not a big deal.

As for me, I'd go about a mile from where I am right now and be with my wife where she is right now. I'd call my son on the way and tell him I love him, and probably call my dad, brother and sister and tell them the same-if I had time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 22, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Commenting on a typo is one thing. Criticizing the whole bloody forum for one typo in a title is just over the top. I'll point out that users cannot edit their own titles after a fairly short period of time, so a missed typo in a title is not that uncommon. And not a big deal.
Ah well some people have pet peeves of grammar mistakes. I can't fault that for that.

I have my own Idiosyncrasies. But yeah, belittling a person, or a forum over such things, and comparing them to ultimate doom is going a bit over the top.

I've heard/read some pretty bad things coming out of the mouths of "known scholars"

It just proves we are human. We make mistakes. Some forum topic mistakes become infamous as well! (The screenshot one)

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2007, 09:25 AM

Party like its 1999.
Signature depreciated.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post
Pre-asteroid sex is better than make-up sex.
Quoted for Humour™
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Party like its 1999.
How would you know ?

-t

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I’d probably go make a thread about it on MacNN.
OMG!!! Teh world is down!!!!1

I'd phone my friends and family, tell them that I had a good time with them, appreciate them, and tell one in particular that we're about to find out who was correct about what happens when you die.
After that, I'd probably sit around reminiscing on life, watch people freaking out like it'll help, and wait.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2007, 10:40 AM

I'd probably be making love.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 22, 2007, 11:05 AM

Poor bessie

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2007, 11:22 AM

I'd try to get 'Last Post' on Slashdot.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2007, 11:32 AM

Listen to "if I give my soul" by Johnny Cash one more time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
I'd try to get 'Last Post' on Slashdot.
No chance, they'll keep posting from hell

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2007, 12:05 PM

bang the woman next door and her sisters and my wife and her sister, oh wait, only 20 minutes, my wife and her sister
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules