Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > PB G4 Ti with upgraded logic board

PB G4 Ti with upgraded logic board
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2008, 12:47 PM

So I have a powerbook G4 Ti with the 400mhz logic board (which happens to be dead), so the only thing that it appears I could upgrade to would be the 500mhz board. Now that's not much of an upgrade, and I'd like to put in one of the 1ghz boards so I could run leopard and some other software that requires more power. Is it possible to make the 1ghz DVI board fit?

I know it would require at the least some dremeling of the back of the case to make the ports fit, but other than that what sort of complications would I run into?

milhouse
Senior User
Feb 18, 2008, 12:06 AM

The internal connectors may be different or oriented differently for the display, keyboard (very likely) or trackpad etc. Check out iFixit for various take apart manuals. Assuming they have take-aparts for the respective Ti models, and assuming the photos are actual photos of the respective mobos, eye them up. I'm almost sure the keyboard and connector differs between those two models (i.e. they are not interchangeable).

IIRC, the hinges are different between the 400MHz and 1GHz models. There may be some internal differences as a result. Cooling (heat pipe, fans etc) might also differ. You also might find a lower case for the 1GHz model and might be able to use your display.

You might also check replacement part numbers for the two models on pbparts or ifixit. That might give you an idea about the interchangeability of parts.
Good luck with it.

YMMV
"-Dodge This"

powerbook_nate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2008, 12:31 AM

Anything other than the 400MHz or 500Mhz board wont work. Every revision of the Ti had internal changes which made the boards incompatible from version to version. Connector locations changed, as well as screw holes and even some external I/O.

milhouse
Senior User
Feb 18, 2008, 01:01 AM

Someone's selling a 1GHz Ti in the marketplace. I'd consider buying it, if I were contemplating a similar upgrade. You could part out your machine and make up to a few hundred bucks, assuming the other parts are in very good condition, esp the screen. I have no relation to that person. I just ran across his post while browsing.
"-Dodge This"

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2008, 09:00 PM

PowerBook Ti's are only running approx. $350 on ebay.

I've decided to turn my PowerBook Ti 1ghz into a digital picture frame. I think it will be a fun project.

Forum Links
Forum Rules