Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > GigE with Giga upgrade - fan problems

GigE with Giga upgrade - fan problems
Crimson
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2008, 02:47 AM

Ok, I've got a 1.25GHz upgrade waiting to be installed into GigE, but the problem is the fan. It died ages ago when I transferred my Sawtooth into a server case, and about month and a half ago i managed to fry Sawtooth's AGP... Thus I've now got a GigE. i ran the upgrade with 15mm high fan on the server case, then on ATX-case, but on GigE's case, the fan is too high for the lid to close. Any suggestions on suitable fan (50*50*10mm, 12CFM) or different solutions? I've been toying with an idea about making an air intake with filter in the bottom of the case and ducting the air to the cooler of the upgrade... Opinions?

Crimson  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2008, 03:19 PM

Not one comment,sad.

milhouse
Senior User
Feb 18, 2008, 04:35 PM

it's difficult to visualize the problem. If the fan (dimensions stated) will work, there are lots of sites online that sell nice fans. I forget where I bought mine. Look at the decibel rating as well as cfm. Some of those fans are way too loud. I also had a duct for my MDD mod. It helped a bit.

When I modded my MDD, I used two of those metal filters behind a lower case intake to trap the dusties. In my experience, directly cooling the HS works well but the case needs proper airflow to vent the heat away from the components. Generally speaking, cool air enters the lower front of the case and exits at the upper rear of the case. I think the fans I used were sunons but I can't be certain.

It sounds like you have a decent solution planned.

Googling your fan dimensions yields a bunch of links:

cooling fan 50mm 50mm 10mm - Google Search
"-Dodge This"

Crimson  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 06:59 AM

Milhouse, if i remember correctly, you were the one who made G4 into G5-look back in time? Thanks for the reply... The fan size is the main problem - here in Finland, suitable fans aren't really found that easily, and ordering from the net isn't an option - Thus I'm toying with some ideas - using PCI-covers to fashion a holding bracke for 120mm Silentblade fan for example, standing it off the middle HD-plate. (or hanging from cable shelf ) I also have some Sharkoons 80mm) that could do the job. I will propably swap the PSU-fan to 80mm silentblade as i did for my sawtooth... Thinking, thinking, thinking (checking around I found the CFM-ratings for original Sawtooth's PSU fan and 120mm fan... I had replaced them with models that were much lower in CFM, and still no heat prolems. A friend suggested Noctua-fans, silent and effective...)

I've now 2 512Meg sticks, and 2 256meg sticks in the rig now, and yesterday, the machine started panicking. AHT revealed an error (mem_/3/5) with one 512, and rember failed the test with stuck address - swapped the 512meg sticks and rember is happily testing now - problem fixed? Dunno...
( Last edited by Crimson; Feb 19, 2008 at 07:10 AM. )

Crimson  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 07:20 AM

Good resource for pre-G5 macs: G4 parts information

milhouse
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 11:41 PM

If you can't order from the net, I could probably find something and send it to you. The fans are probably less than $10. LMK
"-Dodge This"

Crimson  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2008, 05:42 AM

I'll try and check... other things pending prior that

Crimson  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2008, 05:38 AM

Ok, I'm selling my sawtooth and Radeon 8500, I've got an offer I wanted... Radeon 9800 Pro will be bought soonish... and the cable shelf is going to be modified, so no need for small fan... (R9800Pro is cooled by Zalman's dual heatpipe assembly, which would be tight fit.)

Pictures of the cable shelf assembly are welcome, if anyone has GigE or similar G4, also opinters on taking it off. It's riveted, so drilling is the key.

Forum Links
Forum Rules