Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > CD/DVD Drive Not Recognizing CD/DVD's - Snow Leopard

CD/DVD Drive Not Recognizing CD/DVD's - Snow Leopard
soon2bmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2009, 10:04 PM

When inserting a CD or DVD into my drive nothing happens or I get a box saying that the "Disc can not be recognized". Finder shows absolutely nothing and disk utility shows there is a CD/DVD in the drive but it will not allow anything to happen. I can not burn any type of burn folder or file but if I am in iTunes and try burning a CD it works absolutely fine!

This never happened with Tiger. Then after a couple months of have Leopard installed it started happening. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard hoping it would be the fix and it still does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have also tried reseting the PRAM.

TIA

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 10:10 PM

Your optical drive is dying and needs to be repaired/replaced.

The issue has nothing to do with whatever operating system you're running.

soon2bmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2009, 10:17 PM

Well I had done some research and I have read mixed reviews on this issue. I figured I would finally post up asking for a couple more opinions. Do you know this for a fact or are you just taking a stab?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 10:31 PM

Ah, sorry - missed that it works with iTunes.

hmf.

In the System Preferences' CD/DVD pane, have you fiddled with the settings?

soon2bmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2009, 10:39 PM

Yes, I have messed with the the settings in system pref many times and nothing works still. I am completely stumped!!

Some other forums online have said it's a permissions thing but have never really said how to fix it or nothing has worked and in another forum someone said it was the drive going bad.

Thats when I figured I would finally post about it. I really need my drive working again. It has been out of commission for about 6-8 months I believe.

Leonard Skinner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2009, 02:33 AM

Try this little ditty...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25100

PatchBurn - 4.0.5

Gets any cd/dvd to mount and burn with any make of drive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2009, 06:20 AM

Patchburn has been pretty much obsoleted since 10.4, has not been updated since 2007, and ENABLES iTUNES BURNING (which already works).

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by soon2bmac View Post
When inserting a CD or DVD into my drive nothing happens or I get a box saying that the "Disc can not be recognized". Finder shows absolutely nothing and disk utility shows there is a CD/DVD in the drive but it will not allow anything to happen. I can not burn any type of burn folder or file but if I am in iTunes and try burning a CD it works absolutely fine!

This never happened with Tiger. Then after a couple months of have Leopard installed it started happening. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard hoping it would be the fix and it still does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have also tried reseting the PRAM.

TIA
My DVD drive apparently began to fail a few months ago. After trying many cures, I opened up my MacBook Pro, took out the drive, opened the drive and cleaned the lens with something or other. Put it all back together.

Works fine now with the exception of sensitivity to crappy media.

Some posts I read on the topic had success with cleaning discs, others not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules