Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Problem? Or just me.

Problem? Or just me.
Lanlord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2000, 03:11 PM

Being a Linux newbie, I am not entirely sure what I am doing.I have LinuxPPC installed and running. Couple of questions though.

1. I open a terminal winndow and try to run linuxconf. It errors out saying "Linuxconf: error in loading shared libraries: libgd.so.1: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory."
The file is there I can see it in /bin. This is where I try and run it from but it gives me that error.

2. How do you change the screen resolution? I want to run at 1024x768 and I want more colors. I have a G4 AGP with a Rage 128 Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

miranda
Aug 12, 2000, 04:54 PM

Hey...
Run Xconfigurator to be able to change video modes. Make sure your monitor can handle what you choose, however.
As far as linuxconf not running and not being able to find libgd.so.1... I believe a .so file is a "static object" file in C/C++.
On my linux box, libgd.so.1 is in the /usr/lib directory. See if you can either point your path toward that directory... or else recompile linuxconf and link it to that source file.
If all else fails, there is also a binary (on my system, at least) called netconf, which will allow you to do a lot of the same administrative tasks that linuxconf lets you do.

Hope that helps.

miranda

kps111
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2000, 05:34 PM

That's the buggy installer again
The answer to your first question (and many others) is here:
http://www.linuxppc.com/support/updates/product/

Pop in your CD and open a terminal, type:

mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/software/
rpm -hvi gd*

It didn't work for me, this did:
Add a hyphen after gd in the last line to rpm -hvi gd-* after it installs type 'linuxconf'

The answer to your second question is more complex. It's a timing issue with the newer ATI 'Pro" cards. I've made several attempts to fix this but have not finished. The solution is to use XFree86 4.0.1 and the latest kernels from BenH or Paulus. They are 2.2.17pre13 and pre15. Don't waste your time with kernel args like append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17:cmode:24" they wont work with the ATI 128 'Pro' card.

I don't believe Xconfigurator will work either because LPPC installs xpmac as default xserver and not Xfree.

The xf4 RPMS available would not install on my system due to too many 'failed dependancies' so I rsynced the source and recompiled X, but when I tried to compile a custom kernel to go with it, it all puked. I 'bounced' between LPPC,SuSE and YD several times since then and haven't made a serious attempt to try it again, so I'm stuck in 8 bit mode too.

XFree, the kernels and instructions are here: http://linuxppc.org/usr/xf4/

Lanlord  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2000, 08:59 PM

KPS111,
You have helpped me out yet again! Thanks.
I have to say that most of what you posted is pure "greek" to me, but I did get the gist of it. thanks for the detailed directions.
3 more things if you please

1. I have a Micro$oft Intelimouse. Do you how to configure it so I can use the scroll wheel as well as the additional buttons on the sides? Or just point me to a site with directions.

2. When I try and run the Kernal Configuration applet from the Gnome menu I get an error that says "I am sorry but your /boot/module-info-2.2.15pre3 file is missing and I cannot do without it." Polite enough error but what does it mean and how can I fix it?

3. Can you recommend a good Linux starter book for someone like me who does not know his emacs from his kernal compiler?

If I were ever to meet you I would buy you a beer for all the help you have provided me!
Thanks again

kps111
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2000, 01:15 AM

I'm not familliar with that mouse, but from what I've read, it uses a different protocol. Do you have any functionality at all with it? The scoll feature may be xserver and application dependant, so it may or may not work consistently. Anyway, I can't guarantee this will work, but you may try it if you feel adventuresome.

cd /etc/sysconfig/
cat mouse <--cute eh?

below is my result pasted from the terminal is it the same as yours?

[karl@karls142 sysconfig]$ cat mouse
MOUSETYPE="Busmouse"
XMOUSETYPE="BusMouse"
FULLNAME="Universal Serial Bus 1 Button Mouse (USB)"
XEMU3=yes

If it is, type: emacs, from the menu choose open file, and type /etc/sysconfig/mouse

change it to this:

MOUSETYPE="imps2"
XMOUSETYPE="IMPS/2"
FULLNAME="Microsoft IntelliMouse (PS/2)"
XEMU3=yes

Don't change case, be precise. Save the buffer and hope it gives you some functionality. You may need to reboot the system for the changes to take effect. Ordinarily this kind of stuff should be done in run level 3 (no X) and not 5 (full X) but I think for the sake of simplicity this is ok. Now you also know that emacs is nothing more than a very powerful text editor.

I'm still using the 'hokey puck', so in xpmac, button 2 is option+2 and button 3 is option+3. This may or may not work with the Intellimouse.

I have no idea about the second question, I can't find the applet or the module-info-file anywhere on my system.

Linux has a very good built in help system, most commands have a 'man' page. So if you got a kick out of the 'cat' command, just type 'man cat' and it'll be explained. So next time you see rpm -ivh gd-* you'll know it means start 'redhat package manager' -install,verbose,hash(#)marks <package name> in this case gd-<wild card> The wild card saves typing the full name of the package.
Use the system 'man' pages and all the online help you can find. I have the O'Reilly book 'Running Linux' and I'm planning on getting one on System Administration also from O'Reilly.

Hey, you're welcome! I'm no Linux 'guru', I've only been using it since May and have gone through much frustration translating 'greek' myself. It's a complex system, and I'm dedicating a great deal of my time to the effort, but I think it's worth it. Initially, I wanted to see what the 'fuss' is about and get a little *nix pre-requisite for OSX, but after playing with it for a while, I just might stick with it.

Lanlord  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2000, 10:46 AM

Uh Oh!!!!
I did something wrong and I don't know what.
I was playing with Linux last night and tried to get Mac On Linux running. It did not work so I went to bed.
Well this morning I fire it up and POOF!!
Yaboot works and Linux tries to load, goes through and says all is ok, but there is a flash right before the logon screen comes up thet says
"LinuxPPC 200
Kernal 2.2.15pre3 on a ppc
localhost login:"

I know this is normal as I have seen it before. But it just sits there flashing that screen over and over.
I tried booting off the cd and reinstalling the packages. Nothing!
Am I toast?
Or is there an easy fix?

kps111
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2000, 04:54 PM

I don't know what to tell you, I never tried running MOL, It's quite unstable in its present state. I don't know what files it writes to or what changes it writes to those files.

The only suggestion I have is to try booting into 'single user' mode. To do that, edit the yaboot.conf file and add this line to your regular boot parameters.

append = single < you may need to enclose single in " " quote marks, I can't remember>

If you can boot into single mode you may be able to track down your problem.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a better answer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules