Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help with Apple Talk

Help with Apple Talk
Lanlord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 10:44 PM

I have Apple Talk turned on, but I cannot connect to my NT server which is running appletalk services. I found that to connect I need to hit command K and should be able to browse, a quick check in the help file said this feature does not work in X PB use tcp/ip instead.
OK, so I put in the IP address of my NT server and still nada. Tried afp://server ip and still nothing. I can ping it, I can get to it(NT Server) if I use a different Mac running OS9, I can open a terminal and see apple talk running and get the correct zone (appletalk -u en0) but no matter what I do I can't get to the server. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Lanlord  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 03:46 PM

Can't anyone help me with this?

ArkadyChicago
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 05:03 PM

I have been successful connecting to my NT server, using "afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where x is my server's IP address. Give it another try. I can't see diddly using AppleTalk, but I can conncet to my OS X box from an OS 9 Mac using the IP address and my OS X logon. So, at least IP services are working.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

Lanlord  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 05:07 PM

ArkadyChicago:
Is that through the network browser, command K? Or through terminal app?
I did it through command k and nothing.

ArkadyChicago
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 05:22 PM

Lanlord:

It was using Command-K.

Wish I could make other recommendations, but I'm struggling with Appletalk too. Also, I was connecting top a Windows 2000 saerver, not NT as I previopusly stated. There's a difference, I think, in hpow AFP works on NT versus Win 2000.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

Stizz
Sep 21, 2000, 06:04 PM

I am having similar problems. I am on a rather large network at work with multiple domains. A server I connect to alot shows up when I ping it,.but thats all. Other wise I get error messages stating that the server cannot be found when I try to connect. I previously used Dave to connect to these NT servers, and when I run Dave thru classic mode via the chooser, all the servers I expect to see show up. However I still cant connect. I was able to print on a laser printer thru the network., but it thought the printer was connected via appletalk.

any thoughts on any of this?

Stizz

Brandon Lewis
Sep 21, 2000, 10:27 PM

I do know you can mount servers (they show up on Mac OS X's desktop) through Classic's Chooser. That's how I'm working around this.

alex.lindsay
Sep 26, 2000, 01:31 AM

I tried mounting through classic's chooser, and I can see the server, see the drives I have configured, but when I select one and press OK, all it gives me is an error which says Connect to the file server ''

Any success elsewhere?

dino-c
Sep 26, 2000, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by alex.lindsay:
I tried mounting through classic's chooser, and I can see the server, see the drives I have configured, but when I select one and press OK, all it gives me is an error which says Connect to the file server ''

Any success elsewhere?
I have the same problem. I can see the network volumes through classic's network browser.. but when I try to conect.. no love :-(

strobe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2000, 04:18 AM

I hope you're running an AppleShare IP server.

skipwiley
Sep 26, 2000, 04:23 PM

As far as I can tell OS X only supports AppleShare/IP services ie..AppleshareIP servers and OS9 Personal File Sharing with TCP/IP checked.

NT 4.0 SPx does not use Appletalk over TCP/IP therefore you won't be able to connect without using another server product for NT (see www.macwindows.com for a list of alternatives to Services for Macintosh on NT) I tried one called MacServerIP (i think?) they had a free demo available(caution: read the demo notes, it limits it's use by randomly slowing your connections).

Win2000Server supports AFP over TCP/IP therefore it will connect from OS X

When you you connect on OS X:
goto Finder
click "Go" menu--->"connect to server"
type AFP://"IP Address of AFP Server machine"
example... afp://192.168.0.1

Ernie
Sep 26, 2000, 05:01 PM

I am unable to connect using the connect to server dialog. However, I can double click on an alias of a server from my OS 9 favorites folder and it will then mount. If I then try to connect to server after that, the dialog will not even open.

appletalk -z in the terminal says no zones found. weird.

Definitely some laky behavior here

Forum Links
Forum Rules