Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes puts in songs twice

iTunes puts in songs twice
brza
Jan 21, 2006, 03:30 PM

For some reason when I drag and drop songs onto iTunes, it virtually always adds the songs twice at once. I don't already have them on my computer (eg: sometimes I'm copying them directly over the LAN onto iTunes)... and each copy of the song is separate. So two copies of some song isn't just the same file listed twice.

Weird. Recently it didn't happen but there didn't seem to be anything different happening. My only guess is that because iTunes is set to automatically add songs I copy to it to the music library, it lists the original copy as well as the Library copy.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2006, 05:53 PM

Is there a stray .m3u file in there? (for whatever reason)

brza  (op)
Jan 22, 2006, 02:15 PM

I ran $locate *m3u* at the command line and there are no .m3u files on my computer. Only results were a couple of icon files and a .dylib file, all used by VLC

P
Jan 22, 2006, 06:16 PM

Might not be .m3u, but I think it is because one of the files you're dragging is a playlist of some format. When iTunes adds a playlist, it adds all the songs in the playlist. If the list includes the songs you were adding separately, the songs will be added twice.

brza  (op)
Jan 22, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by P
Might not be .m3u, but I think it is because one of the files you're dragging is a playlist of some format. When iTunes adds a playlist, it adds all the songs in the playlist. If the list includes the songs you were adding separately, the songs will be added twice.
Nope, thats not it

Edit: It's all just MP3s. On the occasion there are other files, I make sure not to select them
( Last edited by brza; Jan 22, 2006 at 06:59 PM. )

Nagittar
Jan 22, 2006, 09:13 PM

the exact same thing happens to me. are you, by any chance, dragging folders downloaded from torrents?

mindwaves
Jan 22, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nagittar
the exact same thing happens to me. are you, by any chance, dragging folders downloaded from torrents?

Now, why would he be doing that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules