Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fandango movie widget

Fandango movie widget
Kar98
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 06:03 PM

Fandango Support Response: Ticket 10280593

Me: Hi Fandango, your movie widget in OSX dashboard doesn't list any theaters for my ZIP code.

Them:
<quote>
We suggest that you make your comments known to the management at the theatre. They have the authority to address and resolve most issues such as listing their showtimes on Fandango.
</quote>

Me: What's that now? Web 2.5? Now the users are not only supposed to provide the content themselves, but also to do cold call acquisition? I think not. I'll just delete your widget instead and get my theater info from yahoo, how's that?

Sherlock on the other hand did give information for theaters in a 50 miles or so radius, complete with listings, synopsis, trailer.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 07:29 PM

Their widget doesn't list anything at all for my country, and I don't fancy my chances even with their suggested approach. That is very forward thinking though .

Kar98  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 10:37 PM

Widgets are located in Library, Widgets, from which offending ones like the movies widget can be removed without any harm. Which I did.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 11:49 PM

Same story here: nice widget but the theatre listings are useless. In the Greater Vancouver area, it lists theatres out in the suburbs, but none of the theatres in the downtown core. Nice.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 12:22 AM

So now Sherlock is dead, what are we supposed to use? I have still yet to find a widget that duplicates Sherlock.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2007, 02:39 AM

I encountered a weird behavior with this widget. I requested the list of movies that would be available Friday night - it had been reporting today's local movies just fine - and it "reversed itself", showing its flip side - indicating "No movie data available".

All you can set on that flip side is the Zip Code... which is accurate for me... and which works when the date is today. But if I hit "Done", it flips back to the other side, tries to acquire data for Friday again, fails again, and flips things over again without allowing you the opportunity to reset the date... like setting it back to "today", for example.

Unless I feed it some arbitrary Zip Code for an area that it (hopefully) has listings for on that date - which I can no longer alter - I have to close down the widget and open a new instance of it in order to view today's local listings again.

That's pretty user-unfriendly, and not at all robust design.

k2director
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 04:15 AM

I dislike this widget already, which is too bad because I really looked forward to it.

I plug in my zip code, but it shows me theaters for ALL of Los Angeles, not the ones closest to me first. DUMB!! So I have to sift through endless theaters I've never heard of to see what's playing at the megaplex only 3 blocks from my house. Why does Apple let stuff like this go out the door?

Also, Fandango doesn't sell tickets to most of the big theaters near me. Moviefone.com does, but not Fandango.

Apple should have found a better partner, or at least insisted on a better design for finding theaters.

goldfilm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 03:38 PM

Does anyone know how to come back to the poster view (smaller) once you're in the listings view (bigger)?

Thanks!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by goldfilm View Post
Does anyone know how to come back to the poster view (smaller) once you're in the listings view (bigger)?

Thanks!
Just double-click the top black bar of the widget and it will go back down to poster view.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by goldfilm View Post

Thanks!
Command+R

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
Command+R

Wild.

goldfilm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2007, 01:57 AM

Savage! thx

It reminds me the Command - Option + clicking on the weather widget: it cycles through all the options. Then Command+R brings it to the current one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules