Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > It can't be long now....?

It can't be long now....?
Tsurisuto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 11:34 AM

This is one of my main anticipated applications for the Mac, but it feels like I have been waiting forever for it's release!

Can you at lease tell us whether it's coming out in the 1st half of November or 2nd? PLEASE.... I'm dying of anticipation here!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 03:06 AM

If I had to place bets I would bet on the first half of December, but we'll have to see how it unfolds as the beta widens (from limited to private) next week or so.

illitrate
Nov 25, 2007, 05:17 PM

first half of december? oh noes!! i'm going to be stink then
can you release it on the 21st? i get paid that day and it'd be like buying myself an early xmas present

Feynman
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
If I had to place bets I would bet on the first half of December, but we'll have to see how it unfolds as the beta widens (from limited to private) next week or so.
In other wirds, not till December 15th or 16th, ala Apple's style of releasing products

Feynman
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2007, 07:41 PM

Mid month is almost upon us....do you monsters have any update?

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2007, 05:57 AM

Hopefully it is getting released within the next 8 days...?

jjmahoney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2007, 10:41 AM

I'm slightly bummed that I just purchased DM if the newest version is about to be available and I'll have to pay $20 to upgrade it. I certainly will pay of course, but I'm just a little bummed having just bought the latest release a few weeks ago.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2007, 10:46 AM

We're still working on it, so there's pretty well no chance it will be out in 8 days. We were down in Cupertino last week working with Apple's engineers on a few of the trickier bugs. Things are coming right along, and I think we all feel pretty good about it.

Feynman
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2007, 01:22 PM

So now we are looking at first quarter 2008....

Could we at least see more screen shots and hear more info? Please?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2007, 03:39 PM

Did you see Scott Stevenson's latest?

Theocacao: A Closer Look at Delicious Library 2

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2007, 03:58 PM

We're still working on it, so there's pretty well no chance it will be out in 8 days. We were down in Cupertino last week working with Apple's engineers on a few of the trickier bugs. Things are coming right along, and I think we all feel pretty good about it.

I was looking forward to having Delicious Library by Christmas, that way I could have catalogued all my collections while I was off from work. It sounds like Delicious Library 2 won't be out until after the new year now! A real shame.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2007, 04:55 PM

Did you see Scott Stevenson's latest?

Theocacao: A Closer Look at Delicious Library 2
Thanks for posting the link, if only because the comments had a link to Booxter. Why doesn't Delicious Library have a feature for comic books? They're going to have tools, but not comic books? Ridiculous. Booxter sounds pretty cool, and I kind of wish I had gone that way instead of DL, and I probably would have if I had known about Booxter 5 months ago when I bought DL. Though the big problem I see with both programs is that you can't share your collection online. Maybe that will be changed when DL2 comes out, but that seems to be less and less likely.

Feynman
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2007, 06:11 PM

Tools? Weird.

Morbus Iff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 08:28 AM

MikeShayne - I've been working on comic books. It's pretty hackish in version 1, but I'm really hoping it'll be easier in 2, what with the Applescript support. But yeah, I totally agree: Tools seems like a huge waste of time. Next up: groceries, because Amazon supports those lookups too!

Morbus Iff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 08:31 AM

Also, I've looked into Booxter, and that Other One (whose name I can't remember). My biggest problem with them is a) the Grand Comic Book Database integration isn't that good and b) they require separate databases - they segregate your media. You can't see all your movies next to your comic books. You can't see a custom view of all your Marvel DVDs with all your Marvel comics, etc. If I wanted 4 or 5 programs, and 4 or 5 files, for my entire library, I wouldn't be interested in Delicious in the first place.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 05:23 PM

Tools are actually a really big request. If you own a lot of tools and let people borrow them, it's a very similar problem to that of media. Admittedly, it's a less common request than comics, it was also a lot easier to implement in the current architecture.

As far as not being able to share your library online, that's exactly the main problem Delicious Library 2 is meant to solve.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 05:29 PM

Tools are actually a really big request. If you own a lot of tools and let people borrow them, it's a very similar problem to that of media. Admittedly, it's a less common request than comics, it was also a lot easier to implement in the current architecture.

As far as not being able to share your library online, that's exactly the main problem Delicious Library 2 is meant to solve.
Well here's a request for comics. I don't give a damn about tools. Comic books would be helpful. Right now all I can keep track of is the trades because they sell on Amazon.

And I know DL2 plans to solve the online problem, but then who knows if its ever coming out.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

...and here's a response: I know.

Comics are a huge feature request, and a subset of the even more popular feature request, data sources other than Amazon.

At the moment, the biggest problem keeping Delicious Library 2 in beta and out of your hands is that the release is too damned big. We've got way too many new features. It's gotten so bad even I can't remember them all.

So here's the plan: first we ship Delicious Library 2, then we work on adding non-Amazon sources for things like comics and Australian DVDs and all those other things we can't do under the current architecture.

In the meantime, we've added scriptability so people like Morbus Iff can implement some of these things regardless of the development cycle. That will also help us gauge whether something like a plug-in architecture is going to be worth doing.

milhouse
Senior User
Dec 10, 2007, 12:44 AM

Looking forward to this one too.

Better late and stable than early, buggy and bringing down the thunderous torrent of angry users.
"-Dodge This"

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
Looking forward to this one too.

Better late and stable than early, buggy and bringing down the thunderous torrent of angry users.
I don't know... I still think they should release a timed beta version of Delicious Library 2 available free from their website. As they could spend months ironing out bugs, but there are guaranteed to be some bugs that they won't find and know of. This way, the Delicious Library makers get to test their product with a broader range of users and we get to try Delicious Library 2 for 4 weeks before the beta expires and stops working. At that time all bugs should have been ironed out and we can update to the final version of DL2 if we so choose!

But lets be honest, that won't happen, and we're unlikely to get our hands on DL2 until Apple releases 10.5.2 on the 15th January 2008.

jjmahoney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 02:13 PM

Patience is a virtue folks. I feel the same way when they delay a game I'm looking forward to (which is rare these days, but still). I'm glad they took the time to get it right before letting me buy it. Incomplete and buggy products are no fun.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jjmahoney View Post
Patience is a virtue folks. I feel the same way when they delay a game I'm looking forward to (which is rare these days, but still). I'm glad they took the time to get it right before letting me buy it. Incomplete and buggy products are no fun.
But the difference with games is that we have a release date. I don't mind waiting for DL2, but knowing when it's coming would make it easier.

jjmahoney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tsurisuto View Post
But the difference with games is that we have a release date. I don't mind waiting for DL2, but knowing when it's coming would make it easier.
I suppose. But oftentimes we don't have release dates for games until they're finished (or nearly finished). They say "Q1" or "Spring 08" when something is annouced, then the speculation starts. "Well Spring ends in June so it has to be by the end of May!!!" Then the time frame gets closer and a delay is announced, with another vague release "date". Being told by some companies their game will be released "when it's done" has always been easier to swallow for me. I can get on with me life and eventually I forget until they say, "It's finished and coming out on this date!!" Then I let myself get excited.

Of course, I just got DM a few weeks ago and only recently heard about 2.0 being in the works. I'm still so psyched about 1.6.6 that I haven't had time to get hyped up about 2.0. So I guess I can't really talk. But I understand them not giving a release date. They want it to be perfect, and setting a date puts pressure on them. If the date gets closer and they still have a lot of work to do to make it right they might release a buggy or incomplete product. We might not care, but they do. It's their baby!

Anyway, it's too early. Sorry for being on the soapbox.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 09:36 PM

At this point I'd bet pinpointing the release to sometime in 2008 is a bit too optimistic.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 03:32 AM

Mark my words. We won't see Delicious Library 2 until Apple releases 10.5.2 in January.

Furthermore, I still stand by my prediction that 10.5.2 will be a necessity, and DL2 won't run on earlier version of Leopard.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2007, 06:40 AM

Maybe Apple will show a teaser of OS X 10.6 Lion in January, and then Delicious Monster will announce DL2 as a 10.6-only release.

Galley99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2007, 12:18 AM

Mark my words. We won't see Delicious Library 2 until Apple releases 10.5.2 in January.

Furthermore, I still stand by my prediction that 10.5.2 will be a necessity, and DL2 won't run on earlier version of Leopard.
I have a feeling you may be right.

illitrate
Dec 24, 2007, 03:11 AM

what are the extra/improved features of 10.5.2 then that would mean it'll be minimum requirement? are there really going to be that many changes in a .1 release that's only a few months after the 10.5.1?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2007, 11:19 AM

You're probably right about Delicious Library 2 requiring 10.5.2, but not for the reason you're thinking of.

Simply put, if we write part of Delicious Library 2 on 10.5.2, and test it on 10.5.2, we can't reliably say it will work on 10.5.1 or 10.5.0. Given that there's no reason, financial or otherwise, to stay on the previous point releases, there's no sense spending time to certify the program on them.

Realistically, if we develop the program on 10.5.2 and discover a bug, we'll put a workaround in place. When the bug gets fixed in 10.5.3, the workaround will still be there, maintaining backward compatibility. Indeed, it may never get removed.

However, it's just as likely we used a piece of code whose behavior in 10.5.2 was changed as a bug and, without even realizing it, we've broken backward compatibility in some tiny way.

All that being said, it's very unlikely we'd have to wait for a fix to release, which is to say, we're not going to have to sit on our hands waiting for a point release.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2007, 03:32 PM

You're probably right about Delicious Library 2 requiring 10.5.2, but not for the reason you're thinking of.

Simply put, if we write part of Delicious Library 2 on 10.5.2, and test it on 10.5.2, we can't reliably say it will work on 10.5.1 or 10.5.0. Given that there's no reason, financial or otherwise, to stay on the previous point releases, there's no sense spending time to certify the program on them.

Realistically, if we develop the program on 10.5.2 and discover a bug, we'll put a workaround in place. When the bug gets fixed in 10.5.3, the workaround will still be there, maintaining backward compatibility. Indeed, it may never get removed.

However, it's just as likely we used a piece of code whose behavior in 10.5.2 was changed as a bug and, without even realizing it, we've broken backward compatibility in some tiny way.

All that being said, it's very unlikely we'd have to wait for a fix to release, which is to say, we're not going to have to sit on our hands waiting for a point release.
No, but the impression that you guys gave after your visit to Cupertino was that you were trying to work some bugs out with Apple, which leads me to believe that Apple might have said that the code in question might be altered in the upcoming release of Leopard 10.5.2.

As 10.5.2 is only 2 weeks away, DL2 can't be far behind...

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2007, 10:15 PM

As 10.5.2 is only 2 weeks away, DL2 can't be far behind...
Hilarious.

Scrubelicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 01:14 PM

Why not just wright it for 10.5.1?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 26, 2007, 09:55 AM

I say they should write DL2 for 10.5.8. That'll buy them plenty of time.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2007, 09:59 AM

Up until now we have been. I mean, I am still running 10.5.1. However, when 10.5.2 comes out we'll upgrade to it and all coding and testing will be under 10.5.2. We always run the latest updates and expect you to do the same.

illitrate
Dec 26, 2007, 06:41 PM

Up until now we have been. I mean, I am still running 10.5.1. However, when 10.5.2 comes out we'll upgrade to it and all coding and testing will be under 10.5.2. We always run the latest updates and expect you to do the same.
awwww, that makes it sound like it could be quite some time after 10.5.2 before it gets released
because i'm sure you said the same thing about 10.5.0 and how you'd be upgrading the code to run with the released version in September and then you'd begin testing against that code and feature set
and now the same iteration has happened with 10.5.1 and is going to happen with 10.5.2

don't get me wrong - i'm not hoping to goad you into releasing the app in an unfinished state - i'm sure everyone else here feels the same, it's just that we wonder at what point do you stick a fork in it and say it is done, or will it forever keep needing a bit more testing to be compatible with the next OS point release?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2007, 04:01 AM

Don't misunderstand me; that's the exact opposite of what I'm saying.

What I mean is, we will probably require the latest version of Mac OS X, but that has no bearing on our release date. As of right now, we are not going to wait for any particular point release for testing purposes. The requirement is simply a side effect of whatever point release we happen to be on when release happens.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2007, 04:47 AM

10.5.8 times a charm!

illitrate
Dec 28, 2007, 05:40 PM

Don't misunderstand me; that's the exact opposite of what I'm saying.
ah, that's a relief then - anyway, don't mind us, we're just gagging to get to use the new application - you know what users are like, we'll spend the whole time complaining that it's not released, and then as soon as you do let us have it, we'll spend the whole time complaining about bugs and saying you should have spent more time testing :-)

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by illitrate View Post
we'll spend the whole time complaining that it's not released, and then as soon as you do let us have it, we'll spend the whole time complaining about bugs and saying you should have spent more time testing :-)
aoooh, illitrate! We were doing so well ... and then you come along and give away the secret master plan to the enemy!!

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2007, 04:37 PM

Hypothetically, how long have the team allowed themselves to test Delicious Library 2 with Mac OS 10.5.2?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2007, 09:33 PM

Not hypothetically, zero.

We're not specifically testing for any particular build. We're testing in general on whatever build happens to be the one that's most current.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 07:04 PM

Well... here's hoping it comes out this year.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2008, 11:19 AM

I'll drink to that.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 03:16 PM

I'll drink to that.
Perhaps the drinking is what is causing the wait?

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 04:08 PM

I'm betting we'll see Delicious Library 2 on the 24th January. Anyone willing to take me up on that?

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 10:07 PM

I'm betting we'll see Delicious Library 2 on the 24th January. Anyone willing to take me up on that?
"If I had to place bets I would bet on the first half of December,"

Bets always go so well around here, but are never paid.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 05:30 AM

What exactly are you looking to lose, Tsurisuto?

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by MikeShayne View Post
What exactly are you looking to lose, Tsurisuto?
Bets don't always have to be for money!

I thought it could just be a bit of fun...

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2008, 11:41 AM

Yep, turns out I don't know when Wil will decide it's time to release it either. I just work here.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 11:41 PM

Yep, turns out I don't know when Wil will decide it's time to release it either. I just work here.
I like your wording. "when Wil will DECIDE IT'S TIME to release it" Perhaps it's ready, and Wi just wants to see if he can make some kind of record for lateness.

Forum Links
Forum Rules