Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How many collectors here? Merits of collecting notebooks?

How many collectors here? Merits of collecting notebooks?
Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2010, 04:43 PM

How many people actually hang onto their older Apple Powerbooks? I have a little collection going on but I'm wondering if there is any real point to hanging on to them.

I'm currently using a MBP 2.33 but I also have a Pismo, Titanium G4, and the last rev PB 12" 1.5GHZ. The Pismo and Titanium G4 won't fetch much money anymore but I'm debating if I should sell my PB 12" 1.5GHZ. It is very slow with running video stuff and I figured I could sell the PB 12" 1.5GHZ and get myself a netbook with a dual core processor as my traveling computer. Any thoughts?

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2010, 03:01 AM

Well out of the bunch the 12PB is the most ... collectible? IDK what to call it but there are people out there who will buy it if for no other reason than it's the last 12 notebook Apple put out. But seriously think about this. Why do you need to collect notebooks? I get keeping one or 2 for sentimentality's sake, but really.. it doesn't do anything when its in storage. You can't display it and show it off. Well..... you CAN. But just think of your friends reactions when you do that.

"Well gee Walter............ that's...... great. I guess....errremm... where's the drinks?"

Not like its a work of art or anything. (yes I know art is subjective, one mans trash, another man's treasure..) I'd say sell the others, keep the 12", or hell... sell them all and get a new mbp maxed out.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 03:33 AM

I disagree, I buy apple not just because of os X, but because of how well their products are built, the powerbook for example, the way the hinges are low, the metal is study, the overall look of the finished product. I was only in 10th grade when I got my iBook, and my PB 12" when I was in college. I was so obsessed with the way they looked, I had pictures all over my room, I just loved the look and feel of the book.

I'm not collecting really, but am holding on to every mac I've owned.

And for the record, my friends love my clamshell for it's crazy look, and because the Powerbook is still better built than any hp product that is made now. I do display them, haha.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Hunter5117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2010, 02:25 PM

I have done that at times but end up selling them. Same with PC Thinkpads, there are people out there with a dozen and use them all. I just upgraded my wife's 12" PB for a new 13' MBP so I can get her back up to speed OS-X wise, and the PB will be going to Ebay. Nice to keep them but nice to have the $$ for the newest and greatest.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2010, 03:16 PM

People have different opinions, that's why older laptops become rarer.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Cottonsworth  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2010, 11:05 AM

I guess I'm just one of those semi-Apple fanatics. I just love they way they are designed, even the Prismo which I still think I was the keyboard out there. It comes down to being sentimental or practical. I don't use any of my other laptops with the exception of the PB 12" but I'm thinking to myself, since it still fetches a pretty penny maybe I should just unload it now...

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2010, 11:58 AM

I just gave away an iBook G3 to a good friend of mine. I came also to the conclusion that it better serves someone who might use it rather than being stored doing nothing. I also have a Mac mini G4 which I might do the same or sell it to collect something. Right now I own a MBP 2.4 ghz which serves me well and a build yourself gaming PC which takes care of my rFactor cravings.

OreoCookie
Jan 26, 2010, 01:16 PM

My take is: if you think of yourself as a collector, you don't really use the stuff anymore. If you collect old timers, you probably don't drive to work in them every day. You take them out on special days for your own amusement.

But then, the financial aspect is totally moot: an old timer is not a financially worthwhile investment (unless you find a crazier collector than you). You get outdated technology, in some cases you have to spend (a lot of) money to get it fixed. But then, you simply do it for the sheer joy of it.

On the other hand, if you think in terms of how much money you can make with those machines, you're thinking in practical terms. We have a Titanium G4 lying around at work. I still know the times when I was lusting for such a machine and I was `stuck' with an iBook G3. But that was 2002. It will be `thrown away' very soon (a colleague has volunteered to take it).

So the question boils down to whether or not you're a collector. I don't think those machines sell for much on the used market. Perhaps in 20 years, the situation is different, but do you want to hang onto these puppies for 20 more years?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2010, 01:29 PM

I wouldn't say that I"m a collector, but I like to hang on to my stuff. I find that having an old PowerBook or iMac around is handy in a lot of situations.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2010, 06:29 AM

TiBooks are collectors items? Still current machines from where I stand!
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Cottonsworth  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2010, 04:35 PM

Good point. I just love looking at them every now and then and was wondering if there were other people like me or if I was just completely irrational, ha. Still debating with what I should do with my 12" G4 1.5GHZ. It literally looks brand new, hate to part with it but it is pretty much useless for me right now.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
My take is: if you think of yourself as a collector, you don't really use the stuff anymore. If you collect old timers, you probably don't drive to work in them every day. You take them out on special days for your own amusement.

But then, the financial aspect is totally moot: an old timer is not a financially worthwhile investment (unless you find a crazier collector than you). You get outdated technology, in some cases you have to spend (a lot of) money to get it fixed. But then, you simply do it for the sheer joy of it.

On the other hand, if you think in terms of how much money you can make with those machines, you're thinking in practical terms. We have a Titanium G4 lying around at work. I still know the times when I was lusting for such a machine and I was `stuck' with an iBook G3. But that was 2002. It will be `thrown away' very soon (a colleague has volunteered to take it).

So the question boils down to whether or not you're a collector. I don't think those machines sell for much on the used market. Perhaps in 20 years, the situation is different, but do you want to hang onto these puppies for 20 more years?

Cottonsworth  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
TiBooks are collectors items? Still current machines from where I stand!
Ha, true. I'm not sure if any of them are collector items, just for the few of us that are collectors, if that makes any sense.

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2010, 06:11 PM

There's a fine line between being a collector and being a packrat. As someone who has emptied their in-law's house into a series of dumpsters, I highly recommend disposal now.

I've agonized before getting rid of every one of my old Macs (and this goes back 25 years), but have never regretted it once they're out the door. Nostalgia's fine until it becomes baggage...

Cottonsworth  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Xyphoid Process View Post
There's a fine line between being a collector and being a packrat. As someone who has emptied their in-law's house into a series of dumpsters, I highly recommend disposal now.

I've agonized before getting rid of every one of my old Macs (and this goes back 25 years), but have never regretted it once they're out the door. Nostalgia's fine until it becomes baggage...
Very good points. Thanks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 31, 2010, 10:16 AM

<sidetrack>
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
... If you collect old timers, ...
FYI, "old timer" is German. In English, they're actually called "vintage cars" and an old timer means a person who's been around a long time.
</sidetrack>

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 12:23 PM

Indeed. It's one of my favorite Genglish expressions along with handy and beamer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules