Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I am a new user to MacBook Pro, but this has made me nervous

I am a new user to MacBook Pro, but this has made me nervous
skyrim
Banned
Jan 10, 2012, 05:24 AM

I am really not new to the computer. I have used PC for years. But now I got a MBP as the work computer. I have no experience for Mac OS X or Unix. Any good tips for the new Mac user? I do not need games or other fancy things. I just want this Mac can run stably and not mess my work. I tried to learn something from this article Tips for a Spammer, but got more confusion. I am a PC user for years. I know junk files can make the Windows system ugly. But is this the same to the Mac? I asked my colleague, he could not give me the clear answer either. And I cannot find defragmentation tool in Mac, which is a system utility in Windows.
Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 16, 2012 at 02:26 PM. )

OreoCookie
Jan 10, 2012, 05:50 AM

You don't need to concern yourself with these clean up tips and worse, with clean up tools. Just use your machine.

For example, you don't need a defragmentation tool or something like that, OS X defragments files automatically in the background, no user interaction is necessary.

Regarding junk files, you don't need to worry about them slowing you down. If you find leftover files of old apps aesthetically unpleasing, then you will have to delete them. But other than reducing visual clutter, there is no ill effect.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2012, 09:40 PM

skyrim, the reason folks use Macs is that they are not high maintenance as PC are prone to be. Oreo is right on, enjoy your newly found freedom to just use the computer without worrying about what is going on under the hood

skyrim  (op)
Banned
Jan 11, 2012, 02:34 AM

Thank you guys. You both are helpful. Mac is indeed better than Windows.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2012, 03:44 AM

"I used to perform maintenance on my Mac religiously like you.. but then I took an arrow in the knee"

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2012, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
"I used to perform maintenance on my Mac religiously like you.. but then I took an arrow in the knee"
so, you left your maintenance routine at wounded knee?

skyrim  (op)
Banned
Jan 16, 2012, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
"I used to only use Windows like you.. but then I took an arrow in the knee".
Ok, I have found a so useful keyboard shortcut. Press “shift + command + 4”, then press space bar. It is much easier to take the screenshots than under Windows.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2012, 05:50 AM

The other good ones that people often go years without learning are Command-Tab to cycle through open apps (Command-Shift-Tab cycles the opposite way) and Command-` which cycles through the open windows in the current app.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
and Command-` which cycles through the open windows in the current app.
Although that shortcut is highly dependent on the app you're using actually implementing the function properly. Many lesser apps don't do it, which is why Expose is a better way to go for window management.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2012, 01:39 PM

This thread makes me smile.

skyrim  (op)
Banned
Jan 20, 2012, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
The other good ones that people often go years without learning are Command-Tab to cycle through open apps (Command-Shift-Tab cycles the opposite way) and Command-` which cycles through the open windows in the current app.
This is very useful. It has the similar function as "Alt+Tab" under Windows. Thank you.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 04:50 AM

Once a month open up disk utility which is in Applications : Utilities and do a Fix Permissions scan. A majority of problems that develop over time are fixed by this. Honestly you don't really need to run it once a month you can wait until the Machine starts to slow down or starts to act odd but I usually advice people to do it to prevent that.

Never let your hard drive get more then 80% full either. OS X defrags itself on the fly. The only time you develop a fragmentation problem is when you exceed 90% of the drive then it can not function correctly any more and the drive does get fragmented.

You don't need Antivirus (currently) BUT I do recommend it regardless because one day a virus could make it into the wild and do harm and its better to be protected from that already then to be one of those unlucky enough to get infected then get antivirus after the fact.

OS X actually has a built in antivirus that has no end user control or options, its just there in the background protecting you from a very narrow list of Trojans. I personally don't run antivirus.

Get a external hard drive, a large one or a time capsule from Apple. I can NOT repeat this enough but Time Machine is a god send when it comes to protecting your data. And Apple isn't a perfect company. The hard drive in your computer is the same hard drive in Dells and HPs and others which is made not by Apple but venders like Samsung or Seagate. Once in a while Macs do ship with components that are defective or fail early. Its not often and Apples prompt support in such issues is what makes apple so good. But its better to be safe then sorry if a hard drive fails. Its also great if you lost your computer or it was stolen. Many of my customers that listened to me and use Time Machine have ended up at some point using it to restore the computer. Sometimes all it takes is a good bump at the wrong time to kill the hard drive.

Also if you ever do get a fragmentation problem from letting the hard drive fill up, the easiest way to defrag is a Time Machine restore.

This is a must have product for any Mac user along with VLC, Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime� components it adds most video codecs to the computer for problem free video watching in Quicktime.

Windows Media player for Mac - Flip4Mac WMV Overview - Telestream This installs the codec for Windows Media which you will come across on some sites.

You DO NOT NEED adobe acrobat reader. PDF viewing is built into Mac OS X.

Silverlight and Adobe Flash you do want (google them)

Hope I have been a help.

PS if you want to lock your screen when away quickly, open up Keychain and select the preference or menu option to always show in the menu bar. It will put a little lock in the menu which you can use to lock the screen when you walk away from the computer quickly.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules