Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Expos� is awesome

Expos� is awesome
dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 07:49 PM

To anyone wondering if the 12" iBook is too small worry no more. I have been using mine and find expos� the most useful feature in Panther. The resolution is more than adequate for individual windows and more are just a button press or mouse move away. On my PC I have my resolution at 1600x1200 but I don't find a problem with this screen at all. I think that when I go back to my PC i'll find myself accidentally hitting the f9 key.

El Mago
Nov 6, 2003, 01:07 AM

It is sa-weet, no?

EvanV
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 03:06 PM

What is Expose?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2003, 04:02 PM

Sorry to not jump on the expose bandwagon, but I'm actually under-impressed with it. I've got a nice little app called "Show Desktop" that sits in my dock and I find much preferable to expose.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 09:47 PM

EvanV:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/

The write-up doesn't do it justice, though, it's best to see a video or to see it in person. It's a very clever window management system.
 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 04:15 AM

I will jump on that bandwagon!

Expose is awesome

wludavid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 05:08 PM

What type of video card do you have? My iBook has the 16MB card, which is just enough for QE, but I'm concerned that the increasing reliance on video card processing might make the computer come to a crawl with all these fancy animations.

dracoleb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2003, 06:24 PM

The graphics card in the iBook G4 is an ATI Radeon 9200 32 Meg

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2003, 06:42 PM

I agree, Expos� is great. I have the 'F9' functionality as button-3 on my logitech trackball and now I can't live without it. Having a ton of windows open on both monitors is no long a huge pain since I can find what I need in just seconds.

Keep the rubber side down!

Eciton
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 07:47 PM

True - as a Switcher of one day I already can't live without it.

+1

rytc
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 04:56 AM

It is pretty sweet, one of the main features I've used since upgrading my clamshell to Panther. Ironically updating this iBook everytime a new version of OS X has come out has made it more and more useable.

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Eciton:
True - as a Switcher of one day I already can't live without it.

+1
Hey, congrats, you finally made it! iBook G4 I presume? Or second hand G3?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 01:08 PM

Expos� runs fine on my 600mhz ibook with a crappy 8mb graphics card, don't worry about it, its very smooth.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Eciton
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Hey, congrats, you finally made it! iBook G4 I presume? Or second hand G3?
Aha, you remember me! Indeed, after a year's procrastination, waiting and sleepless nights I finally sprang for a 12" iBook, new. I've maxed everything out and I'm happy with my decision .

tr
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Sorry to not jump on the expose bandwagon, but I'm actually under-impressed with it. I've got a nice little app called "Show Desktop" that sits in my dock and I find much preferable to expose.
i've done just the opposite, trashed Show Desktop, and just use Expos�. i found i used Show Desktop a lot in Jaguar, but with the same fuctionality built into Panther, not to mention more features, why use a separate app?

tr

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 04:32 AM

Expose is the best--even on my lowly PowerBook G3 WITHOUT a GPU supported by the OS. It's not smooth like on a PBG4, but it does NOT bog my G3 down.

Show All (not Show Desktop) is the great part of Expose. Put in on a spare mouse button and you can just HOLD that button, then release on the window you want!

Also try hitting Tab while in Show All. (Or for extra fun, hold Tab down!)

Expose is like having a bigger display--exactly big enough--just at the moments you need it.

When Microsoft steals it, lets hope they can't buy their way out of their crimes yet again.
nagromme

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Expos� runs fine on my 600mhz ibook with a crappy 8mb graphics card, don't worry about it, its very smooth.
Agreed. Maybe not butter smooth like on my 2x2GG5, but at least perfectly functional (same 8MB VRAM 600MHz iBook).


Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by nagromme:

Expose is like having a bigger display--exactly big enough--just at the moments you need it.
Well said ...

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 08:26 AM

While the Panther pre-release hype machine was chuggin' away, I thought expose was stupid. Had just recieved my G5 dualie and a 23" cinema display, and (duh) saw no point to Expose.

Bought a 12"iBook G4 at the Panther party...

Oh, forgive me, Expose, forgive me! You are the sweetest feature of 10.3! I have seen the error of my ways!

Overstatement, perhaps... nah.

Rev-O

Hey, how do you put a little carrot above the last e in Expose?

orry_main
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 09:22 AM

This is a carrot: ^ often found over letters such as o in French, like in 'h�tel'. This is an acute accent: �, often found over letters letters such as e in French, as in 'expos�'.

(Sorry, I was a linguistics major at one point...and I'm just a stickler for these sorts of things )

To get the accent type option+e and then the character you'd like to put the accent over, in this case, e. For the carrot, it's option+i and then the character you'd like to put the accent over. All this used to be found in Key Caps, which Panther has moved into the global 'Special Characters�' item under the Edit menu (the ellipsis, by the way, is option+; )

Oh, yes. And Expos� rocks my little iBook's world.

tallrower731
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 08:07 PM

Expose rocks even on my Clamshell iBook (Graphite). Its certainly not as smooth as my new iBook, but its pretty sweet.

mschaef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 11:45 AM

I got a chance to play with Expose on an iBook G4 at the Apple Store the other day, and it seemed to work quite well. I also think it's something easy to get addicted to.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 11:47 AM

I really like the idea behind Expose, but I haven't really been able to get into it, yet. I've trained myself to always hide every application except the one I am using by always option-clicking on the desktop before I switch.

Must... break... habit!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 11:44 PM

I love expose as well. I configured it so that I can see all apps when I throw the mouse into the top right corner, and the desktop when I throw it up into the top left corner. I don't like using the F keys.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules