Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > DSL question

DSL question
mjarski15
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 02:22 PM

I just ordered DSL a few days ago and I got the home installation package that they sent. My question is, do I need to use the data line that they sent me or is that essentially just a regular phone line? I ask because the location of my computer, where I would ideally like to have the ADSL modem located also, needs about 25 feet of phone line and the "data" cord that they sent me is only about 9 ft long. Thanks
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

frates
Apr 17, 2004, 03:13 PM

you need a standard rj11 cable, which you can find nearly anywhere. they come in any lenght you need (here for example , but remember to plug the dsl-filter (if you need one) directly in the wall, not at the end of the cable.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2004, 12:23 PM

Usually, the RJ11 cable that comes with a self-install kit is of very high quality cable, often CAT5. Regular JK-type telephone cable is OK, but it is almost always simple cable, not twisted pairs. That means that there is more chance for that cable to pick up noise, which will reduce your DSL throughput. The cable SBC sent with my self-install kit is really good, it's quite long, and it's never given me a second's trouble.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mjarski15  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2004, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I think I will start off with the regular phone line for now and pick-up a better and longer cable when I get a chance.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules