Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > internet explorer spoof?

internet explorer spoof?
jeffdunning
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 10:39 AM

i was wondering if anyone knows of a program or a plugin for safari that will make websites "think" that the instance of safari you are running is internet explorer. does something like this exist? and where would i find it at?

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 10:44 AM

If you enable the Debug-menu in Safari, you can spoof all you want.

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2004, 07:40 PM

To enable the Debug Menu in Safari : Quit Safari first, then open up the Terminal App (located in the utilities folder inside of your applications folder), then type this

defaults write com.apple.safari IncludedebugMenu 1

then open up safari and you should see the Debug menu next Help in the Menu bar and you can change how websites recognize your browser under the "user agent" subtitle
Good Luck
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

jeffdunning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 06:20 AM

ok, i got the debug menu to come up, but when i try to go to the page that need to be viewed by i.e. only it still says that i need to have i.e. 5.5 or newer, even though i have i.e. 6 selected in the debug menu

is there anything else to try, i just tried OmniWeb and i can view it, but i don't want to buy that program, i would like to get it to work in either Safari or FireFox.

Thanks for all your help guys.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2004, 06:59 AM

What page are you trying to view?

jeffdunning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 10:20 AM

i'm trying to open a soft-phone. Its for my work. I can get ti open and working in OmniWeb, but not in anyother browser

jeffdunning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 01:02 PM

anyone got anymore ideas?

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by jeffdunning:
anyone got anymore ideas?
use Omniweb - it works. You don't have to pay for it to use it - though it's such a great browser, you probably should. (version 4.5 can be used indefinitely for free, version 5.0 will require a license after 30 days or something (actually 30 launches on different days))
cpac

jeffdunning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 11:34 PM

yes, i do like OmniWeb, and it is able to bring up my softphone. The only problem I'm having with OmniWeb is that it will not let me connect to a Citrix Server. I can connect to the same Citrix server using Safari. I'm not sure why. Has anyone had any success connecting to Citrix Servers using OmniWeb. If I could get OmniWeb to work with the Citrix Server I would use it for sure. Anyone got any ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules