Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theming the Dock

Theming the Dock
mjarski15
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2004, 08:09 AM

Okay, I have been searching for a while now and I haven't been able to find any info on the net. My question is, where have the resource files for the dock been moved to? I would like to customize the dock without the use of any additional software but need to locate the resource files. If anyone can help me out, please do. Thanks
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:28 PM

Honestly i wouldn't go through that kind of crap... so why don't you try transparent dock its a great app and it backs up your existing dock

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 02:35 PM

Google for Skin-A-Dock, or if you just want colorization/transparent download Clear Dock by Unsanity (free).

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by pyn:
Google for Skin-A-Dock
Skin-a-dock is not Panther compatible. Be careful....

mjarski15  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2004, 09:19 PM

Transparent Dock and Clear Dock don't do what I want. I edit the resources files for system icons and don't have problems (actually less problems then when I tried Candy Bar). If there was a good program out there to "skin" the dock, then I would use it but what I have read about skin-a-dock doesn't impress me so far ( I know it is a beta I am not trying to bust on the developer). That is why I wanted to know if anyone knew where to located the resource files for the dock. It was easy in 10.1 but they moved them in 10.2 and I haven't found them since. Thanks again
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 10:37 PM

You can change icons w/ Shapeshifter or Candybar...

slava
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by mjarski15:
Transparent Dock and Clear Dock don't do what I want. I edit the resources files for system icons and don't have problems (actually less problems then when I tried Candy Bar). If there was a good program out there to "skin" the dock, then I would use it but what I have read about skin-a-dock doesn't impress me so far ( I know it is a beta I am not trying to bust on the developer). That is why I wanted to know if anyone knew where to located the resource files for the dock. It was easy in 10.1 but they moved them in 10.2 and I haven't found them since. Thanks again
There are no resources for the Dock background in 10.2 and beyond. Dock fills the background with solid color and then draws a white line around it, all programmatically. Unfortunately there's nothing to tweak any more -- the only way you can do it is intercept when Dock is doing these drawings by using ClearDock or TransparentDock (first does so at runtime, second actually patches the Dock binary file on the disk replacing white color with whatever else you choose). The choice is yours. =)
// slava@unsanity

mjarski15  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by slava:
There are no resources for the Dock background in 10.2 and beyond. Dock fills the background with solid color and then draws a white line around it, all programmatically. Unfortunately there's nothing to tweak any more -- the only way you can do it is intercept when Dock is doing these drawings by using ClearDock or TransparentDock (first does so at runtime, second actually patches the Dock binary file on the disk replacing white color with whatever else you choose). The choice is yours. =)
Well not exactly what I wanted to hear (had a feeling that the resources where removed), but thank you for the info.
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

slava
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by mjarski15:
Well not exactly what I wanted to hear (had a feeling that the resources where removed), but thank you for the info.
Yeah, life is certainly almost never feels like a dream nowdays...
// slava@unsanity

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 07:59 PM

2 Questions...

1. Are the triangles done the same way, or are they still a resource stored somewhere?

2. What is wrong with TransparentDock. Using it seems to mess up my permissions and every time I repair permissions it has to fix something with the dock. Why does it do that and is it still an okay program to use?

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 08:49 PM

any time i clean install os x, transparent dock is the first or second app i load in, it's never interfered with anything whatsoever on my machine.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 22, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
any time i clean install os x, transparent dock is the first or second app i load in, it's never interfered with anything whatsoever on my machine.
That is what I used to do as well. However, load it up and make a change to something like adding the shadow and changing the background color. Then pop open disk utility and repair permissions. See what I mean?

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
Transparent dock does the job, but web pages don't extend pass the dock.
Is there a way to make web pages open all the way down pass the dock so the icons are really floating on top of the pages instead of under the pages?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 10:38 PM

Nice bump of a 6 month old thread...

Fusion
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
Transparent dock does the job, but web pages don't extend pass the dock.
Is there a way to make web pages open all the way down pass the dock so the icons are really floating on top of the pages instead of under the pages?
Nope, this is a feature of a couple windows based docks, but has never been a feature on OS X itself. It's not even the dock's fault, it's Safari's. If I remember right, apps like Firefox, MS Office, etc... can go behind if you manually drag them there.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2005, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fusion
2 Questions...

1. Are the triangles done the same way, or are they still a resource stored somewhere?

2. What is wrong with TransparentDock. Using it seems to mess up my permissions and every time I repair permissions it has to fix something with the dock. Why does it do that and is it still an okay program to use?
2. it has to break permissions to get to the Dock, it's its way of working. Usually having slightly awry permissions are fine.. visit http://homepage.mac.com/ryaxnb2/perms.txt for my two-page long permission error list.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion
Nope, this is a feature of a couple windows based docks, but has never been a feature on OS X itself. It's not even the dock's fault, it's Safari's. If I remember right, apps like Firefox, MS Office, etc... can go behind if you manually drag them there.
You are absolutely correct there!
I downloaded Firefox and Camino and they are just lovely..

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 09:31 PM

there's an option somewhere to have the dock float above all windows... i believe this worked with safari, though i can't understand why you'd want your dock overlaying a web page thus rendering the content unreadable.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules