Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buzzing sound from iBook charger

Buzzing sound from iBook charger
ThrillSeeker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 02:09 PM

Hi everyone! This is my first post so be gentle...

Sometime's i can hear a buzzing sound from my iBook battery charger when the battery is FULLY charged and the iBook is in SLEEP MODE. As soon as i take the iBook out of sleep mode the buzzing sound stops.

Any thoughts on why this is occuring?

Just for the record the iBook is only four months old and im a happy Mac convert.

Much appreciated,

ThrillSeeker

StonedRose
Apr 22, 2005, 02:22 PM

If it is buzzing. That is not normal. I would goto a reseller or Apple Store..and hook up another adapter (45W). If the isue still exists, your DC-in board or logic could be making some connectivity on the internal rib assembly. If the issue is gone. Replace the A/C under AppleCare.

Aloha.

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 02:30 PM

Ah damn. The nearest Apple Centre is 15 miles away. I may call Apple tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks for your reply.

ThrillSeeker

ophion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThrillSeeker
Ah damn. The nearest Apple Centre is 15 miles away.
Son, we used to walk that far before breakfast.

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ophion

ThrillSeeker

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2005, 01:29 PM

my iBook charger does the same thing. It has been okay so far (almost 3 yrs) but I am interested to see what apple tells you.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2005, 01:40 PM

The iBook charger is a switching power supply. Usually, it's silent-at least as far as most of us are concerned. Some people can actually hear the switching frequency. These are the same people that can hear that a TV set is on even when the sound is off (that sound is the "flyback" transformer that sweeps the electron beam across the CRT, but I digress...).

If the sound is more of a high-pitched tone than a sharp buzz, that's what you're hearing. A true buzz (which I usually think of as a low frequency, say less than 120Hz) could indicate a component that is not operating correctly, or a part that isn't perfectly stable physically within the enclosure. The way to determine which is to see if it fails. Sorry, that's all you can do without voiding the warranty.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The iBook charger is a switching power supply. Usually, it's silent-at least as far as most of us are concerned. Some people can actually hear the switching frequency. These are the same people that can hear that a TV set is on even when the sound is off (that sound is the "flyback" transformer that sweeps the electron beam across the CRT, but I digress...).

If the sound is more of a high-pitched tone than a sharp buzz, that's what you're hearing. A true buzz (which I usually think of as a low frequency, say less than 120Hz) could indicate a component that is not operating correctly, or a part that isn't perfectly stable physically within the enclosure. The way to determine which is to see if it fails. Sorry, that's all you can do without voiding the warranty.
So you're saying that I have good hearing.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mjarski15
So you're saying that I have good hearing.
Only if what you're hearing is a very high-pitched tone or whistle. As I said, if it's a low, "fly-like" buzz, that's probably bad. I like to think "you have good hearing." That's a much better answer!

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 09:43 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply. However i did call Apple UK today and they think the charger is on its last leg so they will be sending me a new charger in exchange for my current charger.

So much for keen hearing eh.

ThrillSeeker

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 26, 2005, 09:24 PM

It could be your hearing is keen enough to keep from being without a charger. That's good enough for me.

I should have mentioned a comparison in delineating the difference between a tone and a buzz. An alarm clock buzzes-it's a harsh sound (technically it's pretty close to a triangle wave) while a flute or piano creates a tone (technically-generally-a tone is a sine wave). Harsh/bad=buzz. Cool/good=tone.

I'll bet you won't hear your new charger at all! Ain't technology wonderful!

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 05:06 PM

Apple delivered the incorrect charger, argggghhh. I now have a charger for a 'flat screen monitor'. Not only that but the courier did not collect the old charger. Which is kind of lucky for me.

I was not home when it was delivered.

When i called Apple i was on hold for 40 minutes after which i put the phone down.

Arrgh so annoyed

ThrillSeeker

klinux
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ophion
You forgot to mention the part about barefoot and in the snow.

Sorry, back to topic...
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 27, 2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by klinux
You forgot to mention the part about barefoot and in the snow.

Sorry, back to topic...
Uphill. Both ways.

The nearest Apple Store to me is in Austin-about 100 miles northeast from here. If I was afraid my iBook charger was going out, I'd sure go there to get it checked out. I would skip the CompUSA (there's only ONE in San Antonio!), because I've seen an Apple guy there about five times in the last ten years. They have the products, but never the representative when I need to talk.

On the other hand, I'm still all wrapped up in the buzz/tone/whistle thing, so what do I know?

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 09:07 AM

Oh man, i eventually had a chat with Apple and after 1hr 30min of negotiating with Apple and UPS, Apple just told me to keep the wrong charger that was sent to me and to return the faulty one! Thankfully i was sent the correct charger early this morning without warning. I believe Apple just had a system error.

Incidently i have not properly tested this new charger yet as i am waiting for the computer to fully charge.

Lord only know's what is going to happen with my OS X Tiger order!

ThrillSeeker

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 01:14 PM

Well the buzzing sound is still there so all this mayhem for no reason!

ThrillSeeker

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2005, 02:17 PM

As long as it doesn't get too hot and still charges the computer, I wouldn't worry about it too much-the replacement is obviously a new unit, so if it makes the same sound, it's probably your fantastic hearing, not the charger!

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 05:41 PM

How do you know if its not getting too hot? Cus to me it seems like its getting hot?

And it does charge perfectly fine as far as i can tell.

ThrillSeeker

PS. I got tiger today!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2005, 07:20 PM

"Too hot" means too hot to touch. Not even "uncomfortable to touch," but much hotter than that. It's an electronic device, so it WILL get warm while it's running. But it shouldn't get any hotter than your iBook.

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 07:45 PM

Im screwed if i have sensitive hands too eh!

Thanks for you replies, much appreciated.

ThrillSeeker

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 11:22 PM

Wait, they said keep the wrong one but return your "bad" one? Why not ship them both together? Freebie for having so much trouble? I thought I was making it up when I thought I could hear if the TV was on (without sound). So, it's true! I think I've heard that quiet buzz too from the iBook power adapter.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

ThrillSeeker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 05:41 PM

Well they sent a UPS return slip for the faulty one but after the apple tech did some inquiries they told me that wrong one was a non-returnable item meaning they couldn't get a UPS return slip for it! Bizarre i know.

ThrillSeeker

Forum Links
Forum Rules