Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > from imac to a window user -cd burning question

from imac to a window user -cd burning question
Freaky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 03:53 PM

Please bear with me as I have just made the switch to mac. I've spent hours researching this topic but with no luck.
What do I need to do to make a cd I burn of my jpeg images able to be viewed by a windows user?
I use iphoto to load images from my camera onto my new IMAC. Then I make changes to my images in PhotoshopCS2. I have been following the directions found via MAC Help as to how to burn a cd in disk images (change file to a .dmg, then burn while leaving disk appendable so that I can add more later).
Still, my photolab is unable to read my burned cd (except on their Mac) and even then they had to re-burn my cd to print my images.
Thank you in advance.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 05:59 PM

Most popular burn app on the Mac is Toast, it is going to let you burn ISO 9660 disc (windows friendly) but it is not free.

Toast (PPC)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6351

Then there are some free apps that claim to be able to do the same thing, to burn hybrid format discs for compatibility with other platforms.

BurnX Free (PPC only it seems)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13824

LiquidCD (PPC / Intel)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19994

SimplyBurns (PPC / Intel)
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19778

Hope this helps.

mjarski15
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by rrock
Please bear with me as I have just made the switch to mac. I've spent hours researching this topic but with no luck.
What do I need to do to make a cd I burn of my jpeg images able to be viewed by a windows user?
I use iphoto to load images from my camera onto my new IMAC. Then I make changes to my images in PhotoshopCS2. I have been following the directions found via MAC Help as to how to burn a cd in disk images (change file to a .dmg, then burn while leaving disk appendable so that I can add more later).
Still, my photolab is unable to read my burned cd (except on their Mac) and even then they had to re-burn my cd to print my images.
Thank you in advance.

I believe that the windows computers are having a problem reading the CDs because you are leaving the CDs that you burn appendable. If you were to burn the CDs without first creating a dmg image then the windows computers should have no problem reading the CD, but you will only get one burn out of the CD. Or you can do as the above poster stated and use Toast, it is a very good burning tool. Hope this helps, welcome to the Mac.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

Freaky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 10:41 PM

Thanks. Will test without the appendable part though I would like the option to add images later. I'll also need the ability to write/re-write for later use so will look to see if a non-appendable burn will allow that. Will also look into Toast. Thanks again. Love this forum.

Unixweenie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 05:18 AM

Hi all,

My iTunes Library is in Apple Lossles. The goal is to make a PC readable DVD music data disc.

I have Toast and burned many CD and backup DVD's for my Mac.
Confused and have a dumb, but burning Q...

Know almost nothing about PC music format files.
Couldn't play back a test disc when the "Mac and PC" Toast option, data disc format was used.
PC didn't have itunes, but IIRC, a basic Windows media music file application of some kind.

Haven't been able to do any other playback tests on a PC.
If I use Toast and select DVD ROM (UDF), will Toast convert the Apple Lossles files to UDF and will the resulting disc be in PC readable format?

Same Question for IS0 9660 CD starting with itunes ALE files. Will Toast convert the ALE files before burning to the PC CD readable standard?

Since it only took 6 minutes to burn a 4.5 GB data disc, from iTunes using "Mac and PC" option, I'm concerned there was something missed?

Anything else relevent to using an ALE coded itunes Library with Toast, for later PC, and general readability? Any appropriate tutorials?

This is some background I could find about UDF and M-UDF

http://www.burnworld.com/dvd/primer/filesystem.htm

DVD File Systems:
"One of the major achievements of DVD is that it has brought all the conceivable uses of CD for data, video, audio, or a mix of all three, within a single physical file structure called UDF, the Universal Disc Format. ...

The version of UDF chosen for DVD which - to suit both read-only and writable versions - is a subset of the UDF Revision 1.02 specification known as MicroUDF (M-UDF)... "

Thanks, Dave
( Last edited by greenjeens; May 31, 2006 at 05:23 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules