Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rear Display Housing

Rear Display Housing
Lewis™
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2008, 07:52 AM

Yet another dented MBP, so I won't bore you all with the details, but I do have a slight problem.

I dented the rear display housing case, ie: the top of the lid. It's purely cosmetic, but I'm losing sleep over it! I've spoken to several Mac affiliated stores down here, and most of them want to charge me for the housing case AND the display! Which pushes the price up a lot! It's completely unnecessary, but apparently the rear casing is only available as a package with the actual display! Is this really the case?

I'm in South Africa, where Apple aftercare service is notoriously bad. I'm just wondering if my remaining choices really are to A) fork out superfluous amounts of money; B) purchase the housing myself, if I can, and do a DIY repair; C) Deal with the eye sore and move on???!

Anyone with a similar experience or some advice please help.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2008, 01:09 PM

You said "most of them want to charge me for the housing case AND the display," why not buy from one that will sell them separately?

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
May 29, 2008, 01:24 PM

If it is purely cosmetic, it might be easier to just sell it to someone that wouldn't mind as much and just use the proceeds to purchase a new MBP.

Lewis™  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You said "most of them want to charge me for the housing case AND the display," why not buy from one that will sell them separately?
By "most" I meant the ones who did provide a solution, told me the case and display come bundled. The others, I'm still awaiting a response from. Sarcasm solves nothing.

It's brand new. I really don't feel like the work of trying to sell it now.

I feel the mac service providers are trying to make a quick buck out of me. Does the rear case ONLY ship with the display, or is it possible to order them separately?

And who do I call to find this out?

Forum Links
Forum Rules