Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Terrible Audio Quality on 17" iMac compaired to Powerbook

Terrible Audio Quality on 17" iMac compaired to Powerbook
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 05:10 AM

I know, i know...constant comlaints for me...but...this has to be said

I just put on some headphones for a midnight jam session and i realized something
the headphones wen't loud AT ALL
the only thing that was loud about the music was the terrible level of distortion coming out of the input jack to the phones...

so i tried my Powerbook...and guess what, perfectly clear, and VERY loud

what the?
anyone else notice this w/ the 17"iMac
i thought i realized it awhile back w/ the Pro speakers and iTunes but this offically proves it...both running 10.2.2...i'm at a loss for ideas...
whats the deal?
anyone?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 09:21 AM

Maybe it's only your iMac, I can't imagine all iMacs having such a terrible audio quality. Take your headphones to the next Apple store (or CompUSA, whatever) and try some iMacs there.
If they're fine, you should have your iMac checked and/or replaced.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 04:01 PM

I just tried a DVD thinking it might have been iTunes or something
nope
i had to lean into the pro speakers to hear it! hardly any sound at all.

NY152
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 08:29 PM

I just picked up an 17" iMac. The pro speakers along with my iSub sound....well, professional. For the first time since updating to 10.2 I have finally found a Mac that I have to turn down the volume on.

Food for thought.
<over-large signature edited by management>

omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 09:15 PM

my pro speaker and iSub setup sounds great, also I often connect the iMac to my Hi Fi stereo and it sound great there too. I wonder what the problem is with yours.

omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 09:18 PM

also I usual turn the itunes volume up to about 90% and than use the system volume to lower or increase the volume, remember the itunes volume does not change the system volume (the slider in the corner)

omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 10:23 PM

after trying out the headphones, I have to agree with you, it isn't very loud. I guess the pro speakers sound so much louder because of the digital amp, and the headphone jack is at line level, enough for the stereo amp and small headphones, but not enough for loud listening on headphones. guess a person would have to get something like the USB griffin iMic to get amplified sound. maybe powerbooks have amplified line out ports

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by omarv:
after trying out the headphones, I have to agree with you, it isn't very loud. I guess the pro speakers sound so much louder because of the digital amp, and the headphone jack is at line level, enough for the stereo amp and small headphones, but not enough for loud listening on headphones. guess a person would have to get something like the USB griffin iMic to get amplified sound. maybe powerbooks have amplified line out ports
what does your DVD audio sound like?

boardsurfer
Nov 25, 2002, 12:59 PM

the sound on my 17 inch is quiet also. The pro speakers are fine, even though you cant really go loud because they distort. I hooked up my JBL's from my first iMac and they are not even close to being as loud as they are on the 15 inch iMac. It is somewhat depressing. So, I just listen to tunes from the small iMac and play/work on the larger.

Is there an adapter to plug the larger miniplug into the "pro speaker" jack to take advantage of the extra amplification? would that even work?

oh, and headphones are definately quieter on the new iMac

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2002, 06:57 PM

SOLID: Your imac is ****ed up.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 04:30 AM

Yes DVD isn't too loud either. Those problems with pro speakers distorting are completely gone when you add an iSub, before that I couldn't turn the volume up past 50%. the only thing I can suggest for using other speakers with the pro audio jack is the griffin pro speaker breakout adapter.

Solid, an iPod is super for listening to music through eadphones.

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by omarv:
Yes DVD isn't too loud either. Those problems with pro speakers distorting are completely gone when you add an iSub, before that I couldn't turn the volume up past 50%. the only thing I can suggest for using other speakers with the pro audio jack is the griffin pro speaker breakout adapter.

Solid, an iPod is super for listening to music through eadphones.
i have an iSub...
the Pro speaker distortion only started occur recently...humm

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 12:13 PM

I run my 15" iMac flat-panel (SuperDrive) through Griffin's iMic USB audio in/out adapter. I do this because the sound quality directly from the audio-out on the iMac, itself, comes out distorted and with a low-level whine. With the iMic the sound is perfect.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Forum Links
Forum Rules