Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Installing iOS4 without connecting App Store?

Installing iOS4 without connecting App Store?
Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 01:21 PM

Having the iPhone 3GS and iPad internet connection but no access to iTunes Store, I was wondering how I could upgrade my iPhone and iPad when having the iOS4 and iBooks upgrade - files?
Is that possible or do I have to wait another 3 weeks until I have real internet again?
Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2010, 01:22 PM

You need a computer and a compatible versions of iTunes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman View Post
Having the iPhone 3GS and iPad internet connection but no access to iTunes Store, I was wondering how I could upgrade my iPhone and iPad when having the iOS4 and iBooks upgrade - files?
Is that possible or do I have to wait another 3 weeks until I have real internet again?
Thanks.
What do you mean by "real internet" ?

And where do you want to get the iOS 4 update from ? A CD ?

The short answer is: NO, w/o Internet and iTunes, you can't upgrade.

-t

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 03:09 PM

With "real internet" I mean that I am on a kind of ship, where they have blocked access to iTunes Store, but there is access to webbrowsig, email, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger, Skype, and most important? iDisk.

So I asked my wife to put the file iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw (which can be found in harddisk -> Users -> username -> Library -> iTunes -> iPhone Software Updates) on my iDisk. I then copied it from my iDisk to that location on my harddisk.
Same idea I did with iBooks update for the iPad.

Then started iTunes, just to find out it doesn't work that way.

Hence my question.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 03:13 PM

Well, restoring rom the virgin iOS4 ipsw would wipe out all your user data, apps and media on your phone.

You really wouldn't wanna do that anyways, as long as you are away from home.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2010, 03:17 PM

So I asked my wife to put the file iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw (which can be found in harddisk -> Users -> username -> Library -> iTunes -> iPhone Software Updates) on my iDisk. I then copied it from my iDisk to that location on my harddisk.
Same idea I did with iBooks update for the iPad.

Then started iTunes, just to find out it doesn't work that way.
Hold down shift when you click Restore or something. That's how everyone who doesn't want to pay for iPod Touch updates does it.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Hold down shift when you click Restore or something. That's how everyone who doesn't want to pay for iPod Touch updates does it.
Does not work. Either "Restore" nor "Check for update" wants to contact iTunes Store.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 03:49 PM

Does not work. Either "Restore" nor "Check for update" wants to contact iTunes Store.
It's Shift on Windows, Option on the Mac.

And the button doesn't change, but you'll get a File Open dialog box to select the ipsw file.

AFAIK, YOU'LL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA !!!

So be careful.

-t

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 03:55 PM

Since the iPhone and iPad are linked to my MacBook Pro which I have with me, all data is on my MacBook Pro anyway, so loosing data is not a problem.
But thanks for the warning though!

OK, I'll try and come back to report...

So far seems to work: doing the iPhone update first: 3.1.3 to 4.0: that worked! and it kept all the data as well, so that's good.
Next: iPad and the new iBooks.app
( Last edited by Appleman; Jun 27, 2010 at 04:11 PM. )

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2010, 01:39 AM

Since the iPhone and iPad are linked to my MacBook Pro which I have with me, all data is on my MacBook Pro anyway, so loosing data is not a problem.
But thanks for the warning though!

OK, I'll try and come back to report...

So far seems to work: doing the iPhone update first: 3.1.3 to 4.0: that worked! and it kept all the data as well, so that's good.
Next: iPad and the new iBooks.app
So the update for the iPhone worked.

The problem with the update for the iBooks.app was a completely different origin: my wife sent me iBooks.app from her account, hence the iPhone and iPad needed to be registered through the Store, to which I do no have access, so it was denied during syncing.
Once she send me the iBooks.app of my account, it worked without any problems.

Sorry for the late update.
Thanks too all.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2010, 10:29 PM

So I updated my iPhone 3G at home. I get all my internet thru my iPhone tether, because I don't see any value in buying home internet or cable. 6 gigs of data a month is plenty.

Long story short: once the phone was updated to v4.0, iTunes demanded to connect to the iTunes Store. But since my phone was newly updated, I couldn't go on, the phone remained deactivated until I could go to the mall and get iTunes to talk to the store. Then, the process of re-syncing the apps and content could begin. What a nuisance.

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2010, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
So I updated my iPhone 3G at home. I get all my internet thru my iPhone tether, because I don't see any value in buying home internet or cable. 6 gigs of data a month is plenty.

Long story short: once the phone was updated to v4.0, iTunes demanded to connect to the iTunes Store. But since my phone was newly updated, I couldn't go on, the phone remained deactivated until I could go to the mall and get iTunes to talk to the store. Then, the process of re-syncing the apps and content could begin. What a nuisance.
Being still at the ocean, obviously my phone never spoke to the internet yet (read above: no connection to iTunes Store) but I was able to install iOS 4 and have the phone keep everything. I don't see where (at what stadium of the upgrading) your phone wanted to connect?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2010, 01:53 AM

Right after installing OS4 and restarting, but before restoring my setting and apps from the iTunes library. I think the difference is my phone was authorized with the iTunes Store, and needed to be re-authorized before installing apps and songs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules