Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo 4

Halo 4 (Page 2)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2012, 11:42 PM

This game is bringing out all the MacNN users I never see on xbox live anymore. Last we had a Kevin Bogues, Jawbone and chrisgilpin sighting. There were also a few non-MacNN friends I haven't seen on xbox live in a long time.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2012, 06:42 AM

I was swayed by the reviews, and so far I'm really liking the changes. It still feels like "floaty" Halo, but that isn't a bad thing, IMO. It shouldn't feel like CoD.

That said, I'd already pre-ordered Black Ops 2, and I'll likely be splitting my time between these. Would love to join up with some of the crew sometime.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2012, 07:49 AM

I definitely liked some of the changes - the loadout, being able to sprint, and whatever that thing is that pops up to give you a choice of weapons drop. They made some awfully easy achievements - I made changes to my profile and ended up getting 3 achievements. Small ones, though.

I haven't had a chance to check out the "abilities" fully yet. Some of them seem a bit useless like the "thrust". In fact they all may be useless. The shield just shields you in front. I preferred armor lock as it shielded your back (where alot of people sneek up on) and gave you a chance to see where the attack was from.

The matches seem short. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I tried the couple of vehicles I could get to, such as the Ghost and Mech, but didn't get much time in the Mech. The ghost does seem a bit heavier, but otherwise it's the same. I'll have to try it out a bit more as it seemed a bit harder to run down people. It seemed to drag them for a couple of secs before killing them.

The sound is new.

I only gave the Wargames a try, I haven't tried the Campaign or Spartan Ops yet. I think I'll spend some time on Campaign, tonight.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2012, 04:27 PM

I started the campaign on Normal and got into the second chapter. Love the feel of the warthog.

I see the Crosbie brothers are going through the campaign together. I wonder on what difficulty?
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2012, 07:46 PM

Heroic. We've beaten the 1st two levels and it's surprisingly easy. Wondering if we should start over on legendary.

I'm diggin the new enemies, especially the ones with flying drones protecting them. For example, if you chuck a grenade at one of them, the flying drone with levitate it and chuck it back in your direction. They can even revive enemies so make sure you try to take the flying drones out first.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2012, 07:46 AM

I see my stats finally showed up yesterday, at least on the HALO WAYPOINT website. I'm not sure if they showed up in-game. I know on Tuesday, after I had played a few matches there were no stats in-game. I'll have to check today, after I finish level 2 off today.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2012, 11:42 AM

I have one gripe about about the Commendations and Medals. With HALO Reach I was able to see the status of the Commendations on one screen and get a good visual feel of where I am at getting these, with HALO 4 the Commendations seem to be menu driven and less visual. I got no idea how I am doing on my commendations. I have to drill down this menu for this type and this menu for that type. Same thing with Medals, except the medals are seen via Waypoint and not in-game. I know the info is still all there but HALO Reach presented it better, I think.

I'm still researching the rest of the game. I'm about half-way through the Campaign on Normal, went through the first 5 missions (or whatever they are called - I think it's chapters) of Spartan Ops on coop HEROIC, and a couple dozen games of MP or WARGAMES.

The Spartan Ops seem kinda short in duration when you have 3-4 players on Heroic. It's a decent length when you are playing solo.

The MP is interesting - I've had terrible games, okay games, and great games (I think these happen when I get the Mantis, or get on a lucky roll with the BR). I like that they split out Oddball, I usually like Oddball.

I see the Crosbie brothers have finished their campaign playthrough - don't ruin the ending for me. I can't remember if I checked if they started the Spartan Ops? I know either them or one of the Bogues brothers did. I tend to keep an eye on them on the True Achievements site.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2012, 12:20 PM

I wonder what would happen if you take a map like HALO 4's Vahalla remake (I think it's called Ragnarok?) and added enough vehicles for everyone? Say you had 2 Mantises, and 2 Ghosts, keep the warthog, maybe limit teams to 6, or else you need another warthog. I've always like Unreal Tournament (especially 2004), and I think one of the reasons was the customized maps I played on, on Unreal Tournament had enough vehicles for everyone (they even had some customized vehicles in some cases). Probably would have to increase the map size, though.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2012, 04:39 PM

Why did they get rid of Campaign matchmaking? That's how I got Halo Reach campaign done on coop Legendary. Why doesn't Halo 4 Spartan Ops allow legendary matchmaking?
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2012, 07:33 PM

I just finished NFS: Most Wanted a few days ago and I'm about to get back into Halo 4. Finished it with my bro on Heroic. Planning on doing the solo legendary run. I haven't even tried Spartan Ops or multi yet, even though I heard lots of good things about them. Hopefully we can all meet up and get a gaming session going.

Yeah that sucks about campaign matchmaking. Realized that the day I got it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2012, 02:12 PM

Black Ops made $500 million in the first 24 hours of release. How did Halo 4 fare in comparison? $220 million. Not shabby by any stretch of the imagination, but this isn't the rousing comeback Halo devotees were hoping.

It is what it is: Halo fans will play the crap out of Halo 4, CoD fans will be playing Blops 2 for at least the next year, and Battlefield fans will play BF3.

On a different note, I've definitely enjoyed my time in Halo 4's single-player. The game's environments are stunning.

[EDIT] The idiot that is me read a few comments into the article and forgot that these are cross-platform CoD numbers. With that in perspective, there probably are a ton of old Halo fans returning. Still, I'll have to wait to see the XBL numbers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2012, 03:39 PM

You could cut the COD numbers in half and not even considering the PC element, $220 to $250 is quite the promising showing. (A not to subtle reminder that while COD is king, people still are looking for alternatives)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2012, 07:52 PM

Only have 2 more levels on my Normal Campaign run. After the Normal run through, I plan to find someone to do it on Legendary coop via Trueachievement gaming sessions.

Completed 8 of the Spartan Ops chapters on Heroic coop. completed the first 3 Spartan Ops on Legendary solo.

Sometime in between all that I find time to play some Wargames (and a little Assassin' Creed 3).
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2012, 09:15 AM

Finished my run through the campaign on Normal. Great campaign. Alot of epic vistas. Interesting story that delves into the story of Master Chief, especially if you watched the 5 Forward Unto Dawn episodes and the cutscenes from the game. It's interesting the story they made for Catherine Halsey.

Finished all the Spartan Ops for Episodes 1-3 on coop Heroic and finished all the Spartan Ops for Episode 1 on solo Legendary.

I'll probably try and setup a session on TA for a coop Legendary run of the first 3 campaign levels this Saturday. That way I get started on the coop achievements and knock of the Heroic and Legendary achievements, except for the solo Legendary run achievement.

Did the warthog jump at midnight achievement by unplugging the Xbox and setting the clock manually trick.
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 30, 2012, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Finished my run through the campaign on Normal. Great campaign. Alot of epic vistas. Interesting story that delves into the story of Master Chief, especially if you watched the 5 Forward Unto Dawn episodes and the cutscenes from the game. It's interesting the story they made for Catherine Halsey.
Also finished my normal run, just started my solo legendary playthrough and this is by far the toughest halo campaign, I've beaten every campaign on legendary solo but the minimal amount of ammo for UNSC weapons makes many levels very difficult.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Also finished my normal run, just started my solo legendary playthrough and this is by far the toughest halo campaign, I've beaten every campaign on legendary solo but the minimal amount of ammo for UNSC weapons makes many levels very difficult.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to do a solo legendary run. Maybe if I get bored during Christmas (but I got other games to play).

I've got a coop session set up this weekend on TA for my coop legendary run. Hoping to get through the first 3-4 levels at least.

I think some people are starting to get bored of the MP. Even I'm starting to wonder if I'll still be playing HALO MP after Christmas. They need more maps, and they haven't published any community maps. If they don't have a MP DLC map pack soon, they may start losing players.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
With that in perspective, there probably are a ton of old Halo fans returning. Still, I'll have to wait to see the XBL numbers.
I'm interested to see what the XBOX Live number will be for HALO for November... waiting to see those from DAKAR.
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 30, 2012, 07:41 AM

First map pack December 10th, 3 maps and new game mode

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2012, 09:53 PM

Check out friend recommendations. I saw yours Bogues. That sticky nade kill was pretty funny and lucky as I've never seen a sticky nade bounce off a wall before.

I have a pretty good double kill with a sticky nade that i recommended. Pretty funny as well.

I'll be starting my solo legendary run sometime soon. I've heard as well that ammo is scarce. Headshots will be key to successfully beating it.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 1, 2012, 04:29 AM

Like all of the previous Legendary campaigns the n00b combo is a must against covenant, as far as the Promethean Knights I'm not so sure.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2012, 06:14 AM

First map pack December 10th, 3 maps and new game mode
Yeah, I read about that. The Crimson Map Pack will be the first DLC which will include 3 maps, a new game mode, and 8 achievements.

I think I get it for free as I bought the limited edition HALO 4.

Finished off my legendary coop run. It was fun. Knocked off the coop and legendary campaign achievements except for Lone Wolf. Also have 2 other campaign achievements that I'll go for solo on heroic.

The other achievements are the 3 achievements you need episode 5 of Spartan Ops to finish off, and the achievement for finishing 25 challenges.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2012, 12:52 PM

Final episode for spec ops was released today. Once I finish this, I'll start on my Solo Legendary run.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2012, 07:36 PM

Like all of the previous Legendary campaigns the n00b combo is a must against covenant, as far as the Promethean Knights I'm not so sure.
n00b combo as in plasma pistol and BR? They work great on the elites.

The best way to take out promethian knights is to first take out the little flying watcher bastards first.
Up close use the scattershot. You can kill them in 2-3 shots.
Long range spam the light rifle.
Also if you ever have the incineration canon, use it! Seriously does the most damage to them.

Started my legendary campaign. Bogues, what has been the toughest part of the game for you so far on solo legendary?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
The best way to take out promethian knights is to first take out the little flying watcher bastards first.
Up close use the scattershot. You can kill them in 2-3 shots.
Long range spam the light rifle.
I think I can agree with all of that.

KCrosbie"]
Also if you ever have the incineration canon, use it! Seriously does the most damage to them.
[/quote]

It does more than damage them, it kills them in one kill. I think it kills anything in one kill.

KCrosbie"]
Started my legendary campaign. Bogues, what has been the toughest part of the game for you so far on solo legendary?
[/quote]

One guy in my group that I did coop legendary with said he had some problems with the part where you're defending Cortana while she works on a bridge and all these Creepers come at you. After that you then have to cross the bridge into a portal. He had problems there. I'm thinking the part at the end of the mammoth level where you're given a tank and have to kill several wraiths may be hard IF you lose the tank.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2012, 07:37 PM

Did one of the weekly challenges on campaign this week by beating the level Requiem on legendary solo. ****in' level took 2.5 hours for me to complete. Totally worth it and challenging!

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2012, 07:43 PM

A few Crimson Map Pack Achievements Released

Size is Everything - 20g
Kill 20 enemies with a detached Machine Gun Turret.

Bigfoot - 20g
Kill 20 enemies using the Mantis' stomp attack.

David and Goliath - 20g
Board an enemy Mantis.

ODST - 30g
Kill a player while you're airborne from using a Man Cannon.

Special Delivery - 30g
Kill an enemy with a melee attack when landing from a Man Cannon.
That last one looks like it's going to be tough. The map pack costs 800 pts and has 250 gs points to obtain. Release date is Dec 10. I think I'm going to buy the season pass to save 400pts.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2012, 06:17 AM

The whole list of achievements in the Crimson Map Pack is available on the net version of Halo Waypoint, I believe. I know I saw it somewhere. I think they just posted it yesterday in the news or blog area.

I think there was a third achievement with the man cannon... they really love that thing. But I may be wrong.

I assume the turret achievement (in fact the first 2) is cumulative otherwise that would be hard too. I have been using the turrets alot (especially red's) on Exile. Which just so happens to be by the man cannon.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2012, 05:06 PM

Here's the link http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2012/12/04/Halo-4-Crimson-Map-Pack-Achievements.aspx
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2012, 06:21 PM

The map Adrift might be a good map to get the man cannon achievements on. I was playing CTF on the map and there are some good opportunities on that map to get those achievements.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2012, 10:36 PM

Alright, let me just say that the Legendary solo campaign in this game is HARD! I made it to the end of the 2nd level and after killing a shit load of elites, grunts, jackals, snipers, and 2 ghosts, what do they drop down? Four Hunters!!! Luckily I searched the area and found some rockets to take out 3 of them. Crazy!

I gotta say, playing the game on Legendary solo totally makes you play the game in a different manner. With very limited ammo, scarce checkpoints and a ton of enemies, you really have to make each shot count and play the guerrella warfare style of gameplay where you pop out of cover, take a few shots from a distance and let your shields recharge after taking cover again.

It's a real challenge, but damn it's satisfying to beat the levels. So far I've got 3 missions complete. Playing against Promethian Knights is not going to be easy.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2012, 07:29 PM

The more I hear about the solo Legendary campaign, the more I don't want to try it. I'm having fun with Wargames. I've been playing CTF lately and I think I'll try out Extraction next.

I probably will go after the other campaign achievement I need and that will be it!

Oh, I did see the solo legendary ending cutscenes, it briefly shows the Master Chief's eyes (a small part of his face).
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2012, 06:58 PM

It didn't take long to get a few of the new achievements from the Crimson Map Pack. The warthog one might be the hardest one.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2012, 06:30 PM

I've created a new song (sung to "the Monster Bash"):

I was playing Halo 4, late one night,
When my eyes beheld, an eerie sight.
For my mantis from it's rest began to rise,
And suddenly, to my surprise,

I did the stomp, I did the Mantis stomp,
The Mantis stomp, it was a Halo smash,
I did the stomp, It caught on in a flash,
I did the stomp, I did the Mantis stomp,
Ooowwooooo.....
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2012, 07:45 PM

5/8 levels complete on the Legendary solo campaign. Just did the weekly challenge by beating level 6. That one wasn't as bad. Slowly but surely I'm getting there.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2012, 08:44 AM

6/8 levels complete. Almost there! Bogues, you mentioned you were about to tackle it. Lemmie know what you think.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2012, 05:56 PM

I just finished off all 8 of the achievements for the Crimson map pack. I also reached SR50 and chose the Tracker Specialization.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2012, 08:58 AM

I'm starting to really hate these HALO 4 updates. Every time we get one, all my settings, loadouts, and Spartan Armor gets reset. Eveerything is still unlocked, but I have to set it all up again! 343i needs to quit doing that.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2012, 12:28 AM

I'm starting to really hate these HALO 4 updates. Every time we get one, all my settings, loadouts, and Spartan Armor gets reset. Eveerything is still unlocked, but I have to set it all up again! 343i needs to quit doing that.
I updated it and my load outs are still intact.

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2012, 12:29 AM

Finally finished the solo legendary campaign. Glad that shit is over!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 20, 2012, 02:36 AM

Finally finished the solo legendary campaign. Glad that shit is over!
More difficult then expected? What was the hardest part for you? Still only on mission 3, plan on finishing The Walking Dead episodes 4/5 before I move back into the halo campaign.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2012, 05:24 PM

I updated it and my load outs are still intact.
Strange, this is the second update, and the second time I've had to set all my loadouts and spartan armor up. I remember the first time, I go into a match and find out all my loadouts are gone. this time I checked before going in a match.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2012, 07:35 PM

More difficult then expected? What was the hardest part for you? Still only on mission 3, plan on finishing The Walking Dead episodes 4/5 before I move back into the halo campaign.
Hopefully the campaign is going smooth for you. I actually found that the farther I got into the game, the easier it got. Maybe it was because of the style of gameplay I got used to doing in the earlier missions. I used a lot of guerella warfare tactics, especially against the guardians. Nothing was more awesome than killing a guardian by assassinating it!

As for the hardest parts, I'd say the end of mission 3 was the hardest. I must have died close to like 50 times. It's the part that had 2 banshees, 2 ghosts, and a shitload of elites where you had to take out the 3 shield bases to cross the bridge up top. I guess i had such a hard time because I kept trying to take out the banshees and got into one myself. If you try to comandeer the banshee at the bottom, forget it! They'll take you out in an instant! After a shitload of deaths, I just rushed to the base to the right first. You get a checkpoint after each base you take out. I pretty much killed everything in that area except the 2 banshees. LOL! I don't think I would have had such as hard time with that area if I had taken that approach in the fist place.

The other hard part that I had trouble was fighting against the 4 hunters near the end of mission 2. There were a ton of enemies in that area and I finally got to the top where unfortunally, there were the hunters. I unloaded everything I had to no avail and decided to go back to the beginning of the area, where I realized I missed the area with the dropped weapons. What did I find? Rocket launchers! Took them out pretty quick with those bad boys! If I knew the rockets were there I probably wouldn't have had as much trouble.

Different people are going to have difficulty in different areas. It depends on the approach you take and how well you manage your ammo.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2012, 12:06 PM

Gotta love this time of year. Bunch of n00bs getting Halo 4 for Christmas. One of the weekly war games challenges was to get 18 kills in a single match. The first game I play is swat on... (I don't remember the name of the map). As the match is loading, I look down at the screen an see no one is ranked higher than SR5. YES!

I ended the match at 25-5. (This was after a few games of Battlefield 3.)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2012, 06:31 AM

I play alot of Big Team Slayer and Oddball. Sometimes it's hit and miss, sometimes I get the good team (we end up with both Mantis's (Mantii?)), and sometimes I get the lousy team.

I think there was one Oddball game where I landed with the oddball the whole game in a garage on Complex. (big map for oddball)
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2012, 05:06 PM

Damn 343i! I think that last update from them reinitialized my campaign mission select. I can't select any campaign mission except the prologue.

That means if I want to get the last achievement I need which is in mission 3, I need to play through missions 1 & 2.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2013, 12:22 AM

Finally got all the achievements including the DLC.

I'm really digging SWAT. My accuracy for headshots with the pistol is RIDICULOUS!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2013, 12:44 AM

Other than Big Team Infinity Slayer, I've been playing a lot of Team Regicide and CTF last week while I had the Flu. It's interesting how they changed free-for-all or team slayer by declaring a king and calling it Regicide, and it changes the game...

By the way, you guys are all way behind me in kills and SR level! :lol. But then again, I never spent days playing the campaign on Legendary solo...
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2013, 06:39 PM

Didn't even know this but episodes 6-10 of Spartan Ops became available for download today for free! 2.2 gb in size.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2013, 09:49 PM

Thanks, I'll have to download it sometime this week. I see there are no new achievements.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2013, 10:09 PM

Started the download.. Gonna take awhile for over 2GB. We're getting a lot of content with this Halo.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2013, 11:18 PM

I see there are no new achievements.
Achievements don't usually come with free content. That'll be reserved for the DLC unfortunately.

Grifball playlist is available next week and doubles playlist the week after that! About time! There will also be 4 new specializations in the next 2 weeks as well.

Halo 4 updates

Forum Links
Forum Rules