Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Java Dev (Dynamo/Apache/OSX)

Java Dev (Dynamo/Apache/OSX)
mcomb
Sep 22, 2000, 01:19 PM

Has anyone tried to use ATG Dynamo on OSX? The Dynamo app server seems to run fine, but I have been unable to get the apache connection module to work properly.

The CM will compile after removeing a reference to ftime from DRPClient.c. However, when I add it (as a DSO or compiled in) to Apple's Apache or apache1.3.12 that I compiled and then start apache I get no error messages, but apache does not start. There is nothing in any of apache's logs, and no apache or httpd running.

Other than this problem, the java performance under OSX seems excellent. Definately faster than LinuxPPC on the same machine. I want to move from linux to OSX for development on one of my computers, but I can't unlesss I can get this connection module to work. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
-Mike

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2000, 04:18 AM

Please let me know if you figure out how to get this running. It would be VERY helpful to my company, which is nearly all NT (except for my area, which has two G4s). I'd like to be able to do web testing of Dynamo code on my G4 so I don't have to keep hitting an NT box for compiling jhtml. It's bad enough that my company has to also dish out an extra $499 for each G4 just to get Visual SourceSafe (all the NT guys already have it).

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

mcomb
Sep 27, 2000, 10:15 AM

Well, like I said, Dynamo itself runs fine and I have been doing development unders OSXB for the last week on it. As a temporary solution I have setup apache w/ the connection module on another machine runnning linux and setup that copy of Apache to connect to my machine. You could setup one old slow pc running linux to run apache with the connection module for a whole bunch of people (use virtual hosts to connect to different dynamo servers). My G4/350 with OSXB seems to compile pages about as fast as our 600MHZ NT boxes.

I will post another reply if I do manage to get the CM to work properly under OSXB.

-Mike

Originally posted by 47Ronin:
Please let me know if you figure out how to get this running. It would be VERY helpful to my company, which is nearly all NT (except for my area, which has two G4s). I'd like to be able to do web testing of Dynamo code on my G4 so I don't have to keep hitting an NT box for compiling jhtml. It's bad enough that my company has to also dish out an extra $499 for each G4 just to get Visual SourceSafe (all the NT guys already have it).

!seagull
Oct 4, 2000, 01:45 PM

Mike (et. al.) -

I hope that what I share below will be of some help. I have been doing Dynamo development (4.5 and 5 beta) since January, and this problem has driven me nuts on several occassions (you know, where weeks pass once you figure out a solution, and then when you hit that problem again, you've forgotten the problem - I suppose that is why we have pen and paper, but I digress).

You've compiled with no warnings or exceptions, using cc or cpp in OS X - with the modification you mentioned, and then followed all of the instructions for adding and loading your new DCM module. My question is this: What port do you have Apache set to listen on? Unless you have changed it to > 1023 (try 8080), you'll have to be 'root' (I don't know if the administrator account in OS X will work). If you're not root, you will see those problems as you described - I know I have. If you are already root, then check directory permissions - making sure that all of the necessary log directories can be written to (don't know why they'd be closed).

Bear in mind that I have not tried this with OS X - all of my experience is NT, Solaris and Linux. As soon as I get home I'll give this a shot. Please let me know how this works out for you.

/jonathan

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2000, 05:39 PM

I may be talking out my arse but all of the DynamoCommerceServers I've seen running have been through ports 8840. Does that help?

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

mcomb
Oct 4, 2000, 06:13 PM

Yeah, I am pretty sure that I was su'd to root when trying to get this to work. It did write a pid and a "starting apache" message to the appropriate log files, but a process listing did not show any apache or httpd processes and it was not possible to connect with a web browser. There where no other messages in the logs. Anybody know if it is possible to start apache in some sort of verbose/foreground mode so that we can see what is going on?

When you have a chance to try this please post back with your results.

Thanks,
-Mike

Originally posted by !seagull:
Mike (et. al.) -

I hope that what I share below will be of some help. I have been doing Dynamo development (4.5 and 5 beta) since January, and this problem has driven me nuts on several occassions (you know, where weeks pass once you figure out a solution, and then when you hit that problem again, you've forgotten the problem - I suppose that is why we have pen and paper, but I digress).

You've compiled with no warnings or exceptions, using cc or cpp in OS X - with the modification you mentioned, and then followed all of the instructions for adding and loading your new DCM module. My question is this: What port do you have Apache set to listen on? Unless you have changed it to > 1023 (try 8080), you'll have to be 'root' (I don't know if the administrator account in OS X will work). If you're not root, you will see those problems as you described - I know I have. If you are already root, then check directory permissions - making sure that all of the necessary log directories can be written to (don't know why they'd be closed).

Bear in mind that I have not tried this with OS X - all of my experience is NT, Solaris and Linux. As soon as I get home I'll give this a shot. Please let me know how this works out for you.

/jonathan

mcomb
Oct 4, 2000, 06:16 PM

Not unless I missed your point. The default port for serverina is 8840, but that has nothing to do with apache.

-Mike

I may be talking out my arse but all of the DynamoCommerceServers I've seen running have been through ports 8840. Does that help?

jimijon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 12:14 AM

I have used the browser successfully after configuring the apache mod to listen on my XXX80 port.

I then configure the DRP to listen on that port. SNMP are on XXX70, serverina off.

Love to hear your results.

mcomb
Oct 5, 2000, 01:55 AM

So are you saying that you did get apache with the Dynamo module to work on OSXBeta? Can you be more specific about what you had to do? I am familiar with the configuration process through dynamo and the httpd.conf file, but I can't even get apache with the dynamo module to start up.

Thanks,
-Mike

Originally posted by jimijon:
I have used the browser successfully after configuring the apache mod to listen on my XXX80 port.

I then configure the DRP to listen on that port. SNMP are on XXX70, serverina off.

Love to hear your results.

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2000, 09:50 PM

Question: I've done the jar xvf Dynamo4.5.1.jar and the Dynamo4.5.1/ directory now resides on a clean drive. I've chmod 755 bin/Install
...I tried to bin/Install to run the installation script but it tells me:
bin/Install: Command not found.
WTF is going on here? I'm following the UNIX installation instructions but this is a big roadblock. What to do? Do I need to have the developer tools from Darwin preloaded before I try this?

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

mcomb
Oct 8, 2000, 03:32 PM

Hey, I believe the install script uses ksh by default which does not exist on OSX. Change the top line of the Install script to use /bin/csh instead or just copy a working Dynamo4.5.1 directory from another machine (you will probably have to change the shell for the startDynamo/stopDynamo scripts as well).

-Mike

Question: I've done the jar xvf Dynamo4.5.1.jar and the Dynamo4.5.1/ directory now resides on a clean drive. I've chmod 755 bin/Install
WTF is going on here? I'm following the UNIX installation instructions but this is a big roadblock. What to do? Do I need to have the developer tools from Darwin preloaded before I try this?

mcomb
Oct 8, 2000, 03:34 PM

Hey, I believe the install script uses ksh by default which does not exist on OSX. Change the top line of the Install script to use /bin/csh instead or just copy a working Dynamo4.5.1 directory from another machine (you will probably have to change the shell for the startDynamo/stopDynamo scripts as well).

-Mike

mcomb
Oct 8, 2000, 04:30 PM

OK, I finally got apache+dynamo on OSX to work. Actually I am not sure why this did not work before, because I think I have gone through this same process before. Anyway, here are directions for anyone who is interested.

Follow the directions here http://homepage.mac.com/LightyearDesign/MacOSX/ for compiling Apache for OSX (you don't need the PHP or mysql support. Follow ATG's directions for building the dynamo connection module (do not build as a DSO, it does not work for some reasion). Remove the following lines from DRPClient.c...
--------------
/* this should never happen. use ftime instead. */
struct timeb tb;
ret = ftime(&tb);
if (!ret)
{
seed = (unsigned int) tb.millitm;
}
else
{
-----------

That is it! Everything should build and work. You will get a warning about incompatible pointers during the dynamo module build, but it will work anyway.

I will continue to watch this thread to post a message here if you need help.

-Mike

qmnonic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 09:12 AM

This is a really old thread, but ATG 2006.3 does install and seem to work on OSX 10.4.7. The install scripts need a little work, but it's fairly straightforward.

Some details here : http://www.nabble.com/ATG-on-Apple-O....html#a5340291

Forum Links
Forum Rules