Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > Jeff Goldblum in NEW Apple Ad

Jeff Goldblum in NEW Apple Ad
MacNN Staff
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2000, 01:53 AM

Name: Justin Resuello
Subject: -= Jeff Goldblum in NEW Apple Ad =-
Timestamp: Tuesday, November 7, 2000, 8:32pm

I was watching NBC's election coverage on NBC at around 5:20 PM PST. During the 5:20 PM commercial break, the first ad was a BRAND NEW Apple ad. Here's how it went...

It began with a close-up shot of the Canon ZR10 camcorder's LCD screen folded out. On it was Jeff Goldblum. He began to talk about how he had a great idea for a movie. The shot began to move from the Canon camcorder, along the FireWire cable, to the (Indigo) iMac DV. On it was iMovie. It showed Jeff dancing around. He spoke about the special effects--specifically about slow motion and fast-forward. Then he talked about adding a sound track to the movie. It ended with him saying something like "doing this would make everyone want to watch the movie again and again."

I thought the commercial was clever. It was nice, in fact. It's great to see that Jeff is back, making commercials for Apple.

But... How's a Mac better than a PC? I guess because of iMovie. (In my opinion, iMovie is one of the best reasons to buy a Mac, but I want to start using iMovie on Mac OS X.)

Justin Resuello

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2000, 03:18 AM

The SAG strike is over. I'm glad. The voice of that non-union voiceover guy for movie trailers was getting on my nerves. (Yes, there are other good things about the end of the strike.)

Frank120
Nov 8, 2000, 03:52 AM

Is anyone also wondering why iMovie wasn't made a carbon app from the very beginning??

bleen
Senior User
Nov 8, 2000, 04:10 AM

About the carbonization decision. I have two guesses on that 1) Apple was in a rush to release iMovie/iMovie 2 or 2) Apple has a Cocoa version waiting for the GM release of OS X

jc
Nov 8, 2000, 08:44 AM

iMovie is primarily a QuickTime app. It would be very trivial to port to OS X. Folks forget that QT is a pretty complete API in itself (and is cross platform). iMovie is very likely completely OS X ready but just not linked to the buggy Carbon (AW 6 anyone?).

MUrbanek
Nov 8, 2000, 10:14 AM

I believe that iMovie was not released as a Carbon App for two reasons.
1) The firewire bugs are still being beaten out of OSX PB
2) I am sure that a Cocoa version will be seen quite soon on the horizon.

-m

Shane Anderson
Nov 8, 2000, 11:30 AM

Actually it is because iMovie was _not_ created by Apple! Go Figure! It was a recent acquisition from another vendor. Apple simply dressed it up with a pretty QT interface and released it. And since there is a more-well-known similar story with a yet-to-be-released piece of software, I should state that, no, I am not confusing it with that one http://www.macevangelist.com

Recent Apple employee
Nov 8, 2000, 12:57 PM

Shane's normally right on with his information. However, in this case, he's a bit mistaken. iMovie was written completely in-house at Apple. Final Cut Pro was purchased, along with the development team, from Macromedia.

rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2000, 01:55 PM

I'm with Recent Apple Employee. iMovie was written in house at Apple, Final Cut was purchased.

It's likely that code from Final Cut made it into iMovie, or at least that many of the same engineers worked on it however.

Recent Apple employee
Nov 8, 2000, 02:08 PM

rezEdit wrote:

> It's likely that code from Final Cut made it into iMovie, or at least
>that many of the same engineers worked on it however.

Neither is the case. The only common code may be the handling of OS resources and QuickTime APIs but as the two groups were completely insulated (and there weren't common developers), there's no opportunity to share code.

abnyc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2000, 01:54 PM

actually you are all wrong...apple originally developed FCP and sold it to
"macromind"(remember them!!!) then as it was purchased back. IMOVIE was developed by apple in its entire.
your mother

Snarl
Nov 9, 2000, 05:35 PM

I think it's a tad silly that they focus so much on video editing on the iMac. How many new Mac-users actually buy a FireWire DV camera so they can edit the footage on an iMac?

Snarl

JakeR
Nov 9, 2000, 08:42 PM

http://apple.com/hardware/ads/again.html

(maybe this url is well known by now? if it is sorry for redundant post)

number nine
Nov 9, 2000, 08:48 PM

I think it's a tad silly that they focus so much on video editing on the iMac. How many new Mac-users actually buy a FireWire DV camera so they can edit the footage on an iMac?

uhm, well i for one bought a FireWire DV camera (Canon ZR-10) and a new firewire mac to go with it for just this reason. i've never once concidered buying a video camera until i tried iMovie on a friend's iMac DV. i'm sure there are others like me.

besides, this market is really going to take off in the near future, and if apple can be the accepted standard in this market (like they were with desktop publishing) then it's a great thing!

- j

MacPhan
Nov 9, 2000, 10:10 PM

<<I think it's a tad silly that they focus so much on video editing on the iMac. How many new Mac-users actually buy a
FireWire DV camera so they can edit the footage on an iMac?>>
I'm with NINE on this... I'm sure people said the same thing about desktop publishing and being able to select and print differnt fonts!

Video_Phreak
Nov 10, 2000, 01:11 AM

Why would people buy scanners for their macs then? A DV camera is becoming just another peripheral/accessory for the mac much like a scanner was a few years back. Pretty soon it will be just as affordable too.

My 2�.

=)

Forum Links
Forum Rules