Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac DV SE And USB Zip drive

New iMac DV SE And USB Zip drive
iPaul UK
Senior User
Oct 17, 1999, 03:57 PM

Has anyone here had problems using an Iomega USB Zip drive (With latest software) with a new spec iMac DV? Much of the time the disk won't show on the desktop. And if it does... Then the Zip software refuses to work, It says there are no Zip drives connected! The drive did come with an iMac update which i did NOT install as I would have thought it is only for the earlier iMacs. Or should I install this too? Any advice will be much appreciated!
Paul

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 1999, 04:50 PM

I hope there is no problem. I just got the new zip 250 but still am waiting for my imac dv se. Hopefully everything goes well.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

PhilB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 05:18 PM

Paul,

My SuperDisk had similar problems until the latest driver upgrade. One of the fixes with USB is to unplug the drive, wait a few seconds and replug. That often cures the problem. As far as the iMac update goes, there should be a Readme file with it concerning appropriate application. If not I'd call Iomega support and ask them. Hope this helps.

Phil

Pengi4
Oct 19, 1999, 02:59 PM

It probably has to do with the new ROM. The mass storage drivers that Apple previously had a separate extensions are now in the ROM and may conflict with the Iomega drivers. Try disabling the Iomega drivers and see if it works. The problem with this is that the Iomega programs (Copy Machine, Tools) won't work anymore. However, the Apple drivers give you about twice the write speed.

QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 1999, 03:23 PM

I just bought a grape iMac DV, installed software for the USB ZIP100, Epson740i, VST floppy, and an Artec scanner, and found my poor computer froze at startup!! UGH!
After MUCH testing, I narrowed the conflict down to the ZIP. Having everything disconnected from the USB bus, I started up the computer. Then, I connected my ZIP drive to the built in USB port. Then I inserted a disk into the drive -- it wouldn't mount. So I opened Iomega's Disk Tools and ZAP! The iMac froze!!

So.

Does anyone know of a workaround to get the bloody ZIP drive to work? Updated drivers? Should I use the USB ZIP250 instead?

(otherwise, the iMac is a beautiful little machine!!)

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 1999, 03:40 PM

I just bought a Zip 250...I'll be getting it tommorrow so I can tell you guys if I have any problems. My hunch is that Pengi4 is right. The fact of the matter is that Iomega can't write a driver to save its life. I work in an office where its all WinNT. One guy downloaded their driver and lost his hard drive. I, however, got a good copy of their driver and installed it on many machines. Mac OS 9 might help too.

iPaul UK  (op)
Senior User
Oct 19, 1999, 06:24 PM

I'm glad it's not just me with this problem! I did Email Iomega.. And the reply just has to be seen to be believed! They gave me a whole load of suggestions.. Mostly ridiculous ones! Like "The disk won't appear on the desk top if it is not inserted into the drive" Like I needed to be told that!!?? My other Zip drive works fine on my old 8200, So I would have expected it to work just aswell on my new iMac too... As I am merely the end user.. I guess all I can do is wait around for some new drivers to appear...
Paul

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 1999, 09:26 AM

Well, I have that new USB zip drive 250... Too bad I'm still waiting for my DV SE to come from the apple store.. But hopefully, we can get things working soon because I have stuff backed up from my old computer that I sold to put on my new iMac.

Mike

ps: thank goodness 95% is backed up on a CDR!
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Fdanna
Oct 20, 1999, 11:48 AM

For some reason when I got my iMac something told me to try the zip drive without installing the iomega software. I never use the apps that it comes with anyway. Well, everything works great! The built in zip drivers in 8.6 work just find and I've no problems tranferring data and I've also repeated unplugged and plugged the drive so I could transfer files from my pc.

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 1999, 03:09 AM

i spoke to a mac tech (i'm waiting for an epson 740 to arrive and with the usb zip issues i thought i'd burn up that 90 day phone help) and what he recommended was that the keyboard go into usb slot 1 and a usb hub into slot 2 (where you would hook up the printer, zip, etc). when i asked him about the other usb connection on the keyboard, he said it was there for lefties and though it was suppose to work as another usb port - guess what - it doesnt. another purchase to make - oh joy.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 1999, 10:37 AM

Are you saying that you can't even hook up a joystick or gamepad to that USB socket?

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 1999, 10:44 AM

I have received my Zip 250. It worked just fine on my iMac DV/SE. I did install the Iomega drivers but I did not install the iMac update. Also...I have the keyboard plugged into the upper USB port and the Zip drive plugged into the lower one (I don't know which one is labled 1 or 2). However, I would follow Fdanna's advice. I installed the iomega drivers before I read that but it sounds to me like the Iomega stuff is just superfluos. Can you format with out the Iomega drivers?

QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 1999, 11:46 AM

What version of the Iomega drivers are you installing with the ZIP250?

Perhaps I'll return my ZIP100 ana get the newer drive if it seems to work better ...

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 1999, 01:34 PM

I'll have to check on that for you...I think It is 2.1 but I'm not sure. I can tell you tomorrow since at home I don't have my iMac hooked up to the internet yet.

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 1999, 01:37 PM

I would really try to uninstall the Iomega stuff first and see if it works with the USB drivers bundled with 8.6. Then if you can't get that to work try the next gen of drivers if mine is a rev higher than yours... I figure there should be a work around for this. The Sony Spressa USB CD writer had problems too with the new iMacs but someone found a fix.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Oct 21, 1999, 11:04 PM

I just set up my iMac DV with the USB Zip 100, and I followed what seemed to work from a previous post: just hook up the Zip without installing the software that it comes with. It's working perfectly for me right now. No problems.

SeanT
Oct 22, 1999, 06:03 AM

I recently bought an iMac DV SE and found that it kept hanging on shutdown . I narrowwed it down to the zip drive . After I had disabled the drivers and unplugged the zip the iMac works fine . I think I'll take the advice and try not loading the software that comes with the disc and plug it in and see what happens . Will let you know the outcome .
Sean.

MiamiMac
Oct 22, 1999, 12:15 PM

My iMac DV SE would keep hanging when I installed the Iomega "crapware" as well. I had to remove the Iomega extensions. I did a fresh install of 8.6, trashed the finder prefs (thanks for that tip!), and reinstalled the Iomega software for my USB Zip 250. Everything works fine! Not bad for my first Mac crash. I am a die-hard Wintel convert.

A question to those with USB 250 Zip drives: do you hear a high pitched whine when you insert a disk and the drive is spinning? I don't mean the initial "mechanical" noises the drive makes when you insert the disk, more like a high pitched whine. Is this normal? I don't get it with my parallel zip 100 nor do I get it with my internal ATAPI Zip 100. (I know - I have Zip drives everywhere!) Thanks in advance for the feedback!

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 1999, 12:30 PM

I do get the high pitched whine. It's quite annoying but it won't bother me as long as the thing continues to work.

iPaul UK  (op)
Senior User
Oct 22, 1999, 02:57 PM

Hi again,
Well I did as some of you suggested... I removed all traces of any Iomega software (Inc ALL usb Zip extentions) And now everything works great! Like some of you.. I don't use any of the Iomega utilities either, so I won't miss them. By the way.. I didn't need to re-install the operating system.
Paul

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 1999, 02:41 PM

I too can confirm that trashing the Iomega software solved my USB Zip problems on a new DV SE.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 1999, 04:58 AM

i never installed the iomega (non-software-writin-fools) stuff on my new DV. just plugged it in and it worked great - about twice as fast as my old imac/266 w/ the iomega software . .

-cotton

RawHide
Oct 26, 1999, 05:38 PM

Here is a little something that seems to work...

In the Control Panels Folder rename "Iomega Drive Options" to "~Iomega Drive Options" which forces it to load last. Did the trick for moi'

-RawHide

[This message has been edited by RawHide (edited 10-26-1999).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 01:59 PM

It seems that this info is SOLID...

Iomega and SuperDisk tip: Anyone having problems with Zip (USB) or SuperDisk drives should not install the software drivers that come with either of these drives. The needed software is already installed with the iMac DV and if the older versions are installed, it may prevent them from working.

Forum Links
Forum Rules