Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1 million preorders and no threads about whether your 4S shipped yet?

1 million preorders and no threads about whether your 4S shipped yet? (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 10:11 AM
 
If you're on a Verizon 4, the difference is in the 4S' SIM slot.

If you're on an AT&T 4, the difference is in the extra antenna band joint above the mute switch (which is slightly lower than on the original GSM 4).
     
Cashfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Seattle
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
 
pre-ordered on the 7th on Verizon website. "Shipped!" notification came today. no ETA on the UPS website yet. hopeful that it will show up Friday.

Scheduled Delivery:
Friday, 10/14/2011, by 3:00 P.M
( Last edited by Cashfan; Oct 13, 2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: OCD)
Jeff
     
SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 02:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cashfan View Post
pre-ordered on the 7th on Verizon website. "Shipped!" notification came today. no ETA on the UPS website yet. hopeful that it will show up Friday.
When I check the UPS page it says by the end of the day on the 14th? Are you sure yours doesn't say the same?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 02:46 PM
 
Maybe I am missing something (it would not be the first time). What is this "risk of fraud" all you folks keep referring to with Applecare+ purchases after the fact that allegedly justifies a 30-day purchase time frame?

Seems to me that for post-iP-purchases one would just show the store salesperson the working phone and they would sell you Applecare+ anytime up until warranty expiration like all other Applecare.

"No mail/net order" Applecare+ purchases after the fact is a totally separate issue that does make sense. But that has not been what all the comments have been about.

-Allen
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 03:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
$650 plus state sales tax, plus shipping, plus micro SIM, plus fancy case, plus your time, plus reporting it to the police if stolen.
Wow. So full unlocked 64-GB ~$960 price for me including the $40 OtterBox Commuter case and tax. An insurance policy of some kind sounds pretty important for those of us who cannot afford to self insure that much. Also, the Find My iPhone feature now sounds more important.

-Allen
     
SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 03:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Seems to me that for post-iP-purchases one would just show the store salesperson the working phone and they would sell you Applecare+ anytime up until warranty expiration like all other Applecare.
That is actually a great idea. Because Applecare is tied to the serial number users should be able to purchase it upon proving that their phone is functional and/or passes some type of quick diagnostic.

The problem with that is probably cost in implementation and confusion. A blanket policy (notwithstanding the current exception period) that AC+ must be purchased with the phone is easier for people to understand and avoids the problem you mention of only being able to sell AC+ in a retail store.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 04:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
A blanket policy (notwithstanding the current exception period) that AC+ must be purchased with the phone is easier for people to understand and avoids the problem you mention of only being able to sell AC+ in a retail store.
Except that legally the "blanket policy" contradicts the less-restrictive (and IMO governing) TaC as well as precedent on all other Applecare. That leads to FUD, which is not a good thing for Apple or for customers.

-Allen
     
SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 05:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Except that legally the "blanket policy" contradicts the less-restrictive (and IMO governing) TaC as well as precedent on all other Applecare. That leads to FUD, which is not a good thing for Apple or for customers.

-Allen
I haven't looked carefully, but to me "AppleCare" does not equal "AppleCare+" so there shouldn't be any confusion between the old and new terms.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 05:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I haven't looked carefully, but to me "AppleCare" does not equal "AppleCare+" so there shouldn't be any confusion between the old and new terms.

The TaC PDF from Apple that specs one year is titled AppleCarePlus.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 12, 2011 at 06:08 PM. )
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 06:05 PM
 
AppleCare+ is BS.

It should be called AppleCare- or AppleCareLight

-t
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
 
My iPhone 4S has shipped.

From Shenzhen, China. It's in Chek Lap Kok right now. Hmm.. sounds kinky.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
Andy8
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
My iPhone 4S has shipped.

From Shenzhen, China. It's in Chek Lap Kok right now. Hmm.. sounds kinky.
Pouring rain here right now and another typhoon on the way.

Shall I pop out to the airport and grab it for you?

Edit: Chek Lap Kok = Hong Kong Airport
     
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 13, 2011, 03:12 AM
 
Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Pouring rain here right now and another typhoon on the way.

Shall I pop out to the airport and grab it for you?

Edit: Chek Lap Kok = Hong Kong Airport
No thanks. I want to make sure it gets into my hands and not get lost in the gray market in Hong Kong.

Too late. It's in Anchorage, AK.

Should be here on Friday. Sweet!
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.
     
ourisman
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
 
My two 4S iPhones (ordered from Verizon) were picked up by FedEx in Ontario, California and will be delivered by 3 p.m. tomorrow (in Berkeley, California).
===========
David Ourisman
travel consultant
my travel blog
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
 
I talked to AT&T at length and apparently buying a phone at a store tomorrow is not an option if you preordered, because the account iphone upgrade nfo is already tied to the preordered phone. I did get kicked up to an AT&T iPhone 4s orders contact that I have not gone to:

AT&T iPhone 4s preorders info contact: 800-331-0500
     
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Land of Enchantment
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
 
quoting ourisman, my 4S iPhone (ordered from Verizon last Friday at 11:00 am PT) was picked up by FedEx in Ontario, California and will be delivered by 3 p.m. tomorrow (in Albuquerque NM). I trepidatiously hope This is like being a kid and waiting for the day of presents
     
dennett
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jun 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
 
Our two 4s iPhones just went out for delivery
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
 
I was *supposed* to get it today, but apparently T-Mobile screwed up and left it lying around (I wouldn't have known that it was supposed to be here today if the hotline guy that I called for an unrelated issue hadn't told me).
     
SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 15, 2011, 09:21 PM
 
UPS showed up at 10am on Friday and my wife is now a happy camper.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 16, 2011, 12:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I talked to AT&T at length and apparently buying a phone at a store tomorrow is not an option if you preordered, because the account iphone upgrade nfo is already tied to the preordered phone. I did get kicked up to an AT&T iPhone 4s orders contact that I have not gone to:

AT&T iPhone 4s preorders info contact: 800-331-0500
Wrong. They can. Thy did it for me.

Just depends on how nice/helpful the employees and managers are.

-t
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2011, 08:06 PM
 
Finally, notice from AT&T today that 64 GB 4s ordered Oct 8 is "being shipped."

-Allen
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
 
I ordered my 64GB phone on Oct 16 and was given 1-2 weeks for shipping. It arrived today.
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 21, 2011, 12:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I ordered my 64GB phone on Oct 16 and was given 1-2 weeks for shipping. It arrived today.
Ordered from whom?
     
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 21, 2011, 01:11 AM
 
From Apple online. AT&T phone.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,