Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > uneven illumination - should I send in for repair?

uneven illumination - should I send in for repair?
dmcnickle
Senior User
Nov 30, 2003, 11:15 AM

I bought my 15" in Sept from the Apple Online Store. I had no white spots or any other problems.

Then last week Sat, when I woke the powerbook from sleep, the right 2/3s of the screen was significantly darker than the left side. If I would drag a blank text page you could really notice the difference. The menu bar was also significantly darker on the right.

I called Apple and the support person had me shut down, jap the pram once and then immediately reset the vram. (hold down: option, apple, o key, f key - when you get to a white scren type reset-nvram, return, type reset-all, return)
The powerbook restarted and the right side was lighter than before.
He had me do this whole process 3 times. Each time the right side lightened up. The left side is still lighter than the right but it is not as drastic a difference as before.

It was worse Tuesday and so I called Apple again. The tech had me reset the vram and reset the power management. It helped a little but there was still a noticable difference. The right side even had a faint pink tint. They sent a box for me to send it in for repair. I really hate to do that since I have a home business and the powerbook is my only computer.

The interesting thing is that since late Tuesday night my screen looks really good. There is just a little bit of uneven illumination. I was using it for several hours straight on a project and it has "warmed up". The weather has turned colder here with our house being colder. But the last few days have not been as bad. I would hate to think that the temperature would have that much affect on the illumination of the screen. Maybe the power management reset finally took affect.

I have the box from Apple was planning on sending it in on Monday but am not sure I want to since the problem is not as bad any more. I can't afford to be without my computer for too long. Plus I am afraid that they will get it and not see much of a problem and send it back without doing anything. Then it will start all over again.

Any opinions?

Thanks

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 04:16 PM

I had the same issue. Bought my PB in Sept. No white spots but the LCD was not evenly illuminated unless I cranked the brightness all the way. I don't always like to work this way so I called AppleCare and took some digi pics so the tech could see the issue by looking at my .mac site. Apple sent the box and five days later my PB was returned and the illumination is now even on any setting.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 04:22 PM

I would send it in. Mine is going back in the next couple of days it the repair center cant do it in house.

I know what you mean about it getting better, but as I type this, my right side is darker. It varies, and its simply not right. It needs to be replaced.

Please keep us updated on how long it takes. Also, I would do it before Chrismas and the new year, you could hit huge delays because of that.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 06:14 AM

I have the exact same issue with my Powerbook. I am looking into getting it replaced...
MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Evan DiBiase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 07:16 AM

For what it's worth, I'm seeing this issue now, too, and it's on my third PowerBook (the first two were defective, as well) that has already been in for repair once (to fix white spots).

I am not amused.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 02:38 PM

i am getting this now too. Darker right side, along the screen edge than the left side. sux...
Hi!

jindrich
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2003, 03:39 PM

exactly the same thing on the right side... plus 1 white spot and another 2 growing up (and 1 dead pixel)

unfortunately im in Prague right now so i cant send it to repair, till i got back home (mallorca)

i'm quite angry, had to pospone the travel because the laptop didnt arrive and now this. This is NOT worth 3,000 euros

dmcnickle  (op)
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 11:55 AM

An update:

Airborne picked up my powerbook about 4 pm on Monday and delivered it back to my about 9 am this morning.

Apple replaced the display. The new display is much brighter than the old one. I usually keep my brightness about in the middle. When I turned on the powerbook it was a lot brighter so I thought the brightness was turned all the way up. I was surprised to see it was on the third bar.

Apple did a great job with my powerbook. Turnaround time was exceptional.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 04:41 PM

great news, i think i will send mine in tomorrow. Now dont everyone else be sending theirs in! What area are you in?
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Forum Links
Forum Rules