Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PM 8600 vs 8500

PM 8600 vs 8500
ericdelangen
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2000, 03:21 AM

I've gotten way out of control with the mp3 thing... my iMac has a 30 gig full of them... and have been looking into getting an older mac to use as a juke box instead of slowing down my iMac all the time. I've got the opportunity to acquire an 8500 for not too much $. I know the PM 8500 has RCA audio ports on the back, which would be usefull for my purposes, but does the 8600 have those as well? I've looked at everymac.com and apple TIL, but neither of those sites mentions whether the 8600 has these ports. I know the PM 7500 also has the RCA jacks like the 8500. Can anyone fill me in on whether the 8600... or any other powermacs for that matter have the connectors?

herman2
Aug 25, 2000, 07:50 AM

Why RCA?
There is nothing special about the RCA conectors. Spend a dollar or two on an adaptor to RCA to the 2.5mm plug found ona ll Macintoshes. The adaptor can be bought in any store that sell electronics.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2000, 05:19 PM

8600 has all the same stuff as the 8500. In fact, the last of them, a 250 and a 300(604ev's), had a 100MHz bus and can be pushed almost as fast as a new Mac. The RCA jacks on the AV models 7x00 and 8x00 afford a wide range of inputs, wile leaving the mic/line-in jack open for other uses. I have a radio going to the line-in and a VCR on the RCA AV in/out on my 8500.

Forum Links
Forum Rules