Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 3)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
We like our consoles as ugly as our domestic cars?
Have you seen the revised PS3? It is bigger than the Xbox.

I think the Xbox 360 is pretty damn attractive.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ort888

They need to do an update that allows you to select the files you want o download, and then have the Xbox download those in the background... even when you are playing games. (as long as you aren't online).

I agree. I don't see how a dashboard update can't be created that would let us make a download queue. I don't care if it is downloading while I am playing games or during the night. It's ridiculous that something this small isn't a feature.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 11:53 AM

The Xbox GUI needs work in my opinion. It's rather clunky. I don't think it needs a lot of work, just some tweaks. It's not the most intuitive system.

I do think that the 360 is a good looking console, but the original Xbox is probably the worst console design of all time. That thing was horrid.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 12, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Have you seen the revised PS3? It is bigger than the Xbox.

I think the Xbox 360 is pretty damn attractive.
I originally thought it looked good till I saw how big the thing is. It's bigger than some PCs and doesn't even include an internal HD. Too big for my liking.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2006, 01:42 PM

^Where are there some good shots of the PS3 online? I haven't been able to find any.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
BTW, PS3 is backwards compatable with all previous games and it will probably enhance the quality of it too, like how the PS2 did with PS games.
I'm guessing it won't stop working this time, like it did with all of my friend's PS2s. It only worked a few months with PS games, then refused to read those, then refused to read DVDs after another few months, and now has trouble reading any game disk.

What happened to indestructable game systems? I spilled a glass of wine directly on my N64, it also took a 6 foot plunge onto hardwood floors. Now you just play the damn things for two months and they start sh*tting the bed.

Pathetic, even my xBox is funky, I get a loading screen before the menu in Halo 2, and some other whacky error screens here and there. I have three broken xBox controllers (no, I don't abuse them) and 6 N64 controllers that work perfectly (albeit some are a little worn out).

I'd like to see next gen systems actually reflect their price with build quality. I am the type who saves everything I buy, I still have NES, and SNES and both are in great shape, original controllers still work fine too.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
^Where are there some good shots of the PS3 online? I haven't been able to find any.
http://www.xbox365.com/news.cgi?id=GGrirdrLru05112035

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 12, 2006, 01:54 PM

No, and it's one of the more frustrating things about downloading stuff. Not only do you get super slow download speeds, but you can only download one thing at a time, AND you can't do anything while your file is downloading.
So that is what they call 'live'… do you need to pay for such service?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Inside Man
No, everyone gets it for free. You just have to pay if you want to play against others.

The free service lets you message, download updates, trailers, game demos, classic games (pay per game) etc.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 02:48 PM

It's $7.99 a month or $49.99 a year. I think there is a 6 month price, but I can't remember it.

It's a neat service, I signed up last night for a month and if they keep the game demos coming I'll pay per year. Reviews and video reviews are great, but actually getting to try out the game before you buy it, is worth the ~$4 a month.

I have a few people in my office who are all on Live and I will add them as friends when I get home. I could send them messages and play games against them. Pretty cool.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 12, 2006, 04:08 PM

E3 PS3 game clips

(Warning, YouTube sucky quality)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
We like our consoles as ugly as our domestic cars?
...and, apparently, with the same flash-over-substance attitude.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
It's $7.99 a month or $49.99 a year. I think there is a 6 month price, but I can't remember it.

It's a neat service, I signed up last night for a month and if they keep the game demos coming I'll pay per year. Reviews and video reviews are great, but actually getting to try out the game before you buy it, is worth the ~$4 a month.

I have a few people in my office who are all on Live and I will add them as friends when I get home. I could send them messages and play games against them. Pretty cool.
You can keep getting the demos and stuff even if you don't pay. You only have to pay to play against other people.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2006, 04:59 PM

"About a year ago Sony defended the PlayStation 3 by stating the PS3 is "a box made of future technology opposed to Xbox 1.5, which seems to be a combination of things available today." However, this week The Inquirer talked with several game developers and heard they aren't really impressed by the performance of the PlayStation 3. The performance isn't really there yet in many cases and they say that both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 don't have enough horsepower to run state-of-the-art PC games like Crysis. Game developers say they are disappointed because they aren't able to do what they've planned to do. "

http://www.dvhardware.net/article11494.html

If I had a nickel for every bad PS3 review I could afford one by now...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Rumor
May 12, 2006, 10:31 PM

Here's another poll.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Peter King
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2006, 10:58 PM

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why so much people dislike the PS3 so much? I mean, the specs are a lot better than any of the other consoles. Is it because it costs so much? Or do a lot of people don't like Sony and prefer Microsoft and Nintendo?

MinM
Forum Regular
May 12, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Microsuck
Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering why so much people dislike the PS3 so much? ... Is it because it costs so much?
Of course. It's insanely powerful. If it were $399, people would be messing their pants over it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2006, 11:48 PM

Get this... Sony was demoing a game called Assassins: Creed for Sony Playstation. It was touted as a Playstation exclusive, and demoed as how superior PS3 graphics are.

Problem is they were demoing it on an XBox 360.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100392
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by MinM
Of course. It's insanely powerful. If it were $399, people would be messing their pants over it.
Yeah, it's overpriced... That's why I'm gonna wait til like 2010 . So it's $50. For now, I'll use my pretty decent windoze computer (Athlon 64 FX-57, 1.5GB DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro 4500)
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2006, 12:32 AM

The PS3 draws too many parallels to the Saturn. I expect its success to be better, but perhaps not substantially.

There are a lot of you that have $600 to throw at a game system, but the console war will be decided by 10 year olds begging their parents for a new game system. I can't see the majority of the middle class dropping that kind of cash to shut their kids up. These people don't care about blu-ray.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 10:55 AM

Video Business Magazine: Black and Blu-ray

“The next generation doesn’t start until we say it starts,” SCE America president Kazuo Hirai said at E3, sounding like a latter-day Henry Ford.

But the Model T faced little competition at the time, a luxury neither PS3 nor Blu-ray enjoys.

By insisting consumers buy both, Sony has left itself precious little room to maneuver against the competition for either.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 12:04 PM

Priceless movie and reality check:

The Playstation 3 booth's on the left and the Nintendo booth on the right; check out where all—and we do mean ALL—the foot traffic's going.
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/e30...ede-173469.php

then have some fun loading this…
http://www.markjezeph.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bennyhil.mid

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2006, 12:18 PM

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
PS3's interface looks pretty nice: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PS3-s-inter...g/49/aid/38576
I didn't know it could surf the net!!
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 12:48 PM

PS3's interface looks pretty nice: http://pspupdates.qj.net/PS3-s-inter...g/49/aid/38576
That woman doing them demo sounds like she just got shown the PS3 that morning and got a few basics told to her. Every question was like... um, I think so.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 12:50 PM

Priceless movie and reality check:

The Playstation 3 booth's on the left and the Nintendo booth on the right; check out where all—and we do mean ALL—the foot traffic's going.
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/e30...ede-173469.php

then have some fun loading this…
http://www.markjezeph.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bennyhil.mid

That's pretty funny. And some people will still say that it's just the "Fanboys" that are so interested in the Wii. starman might even go as far as to say that someone must have edited the video and put in all those people. you know, like when we all created second and third accounts to vote for the Wii.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 01:20 PM

Carmack: PS3 potentially more powerful than Xbox 360, but much harder to code for

During the interview Carmack discussed the issues with Sony’s development strategy concerning the PS3 comparing the symmetrical processing approach Microsoft took with the XBOX 360 to the asymmetric approach that Sony is using with the Cell processor developed in partnership with Toshiba and IBM.

Carmack concedes that the PS3 is a more powerful platform saying "the PS3 has more peak performance on there and that’s what Sony was looking for." However he believes that Sony made a mistake with the Cell architecture in the difficulty there is with programming for it as opposed to the 360.

To take full advantage of the Cell architecture developers must break their code in to "small nuggets" and use a different compiler for the SPEs making developing for the PS3 more difficult then it needs to be.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Carmack: PS3 potentially more powerful than Xbox 360, but much harder to code for

Carmack concedes that the PS3 is a more powerful platform saying "the PS3 has more peak performance on there and that’s what Sony was looking for."
I would add PS3 potentially more powerful console ever, but much harder to play with… watch the videos, both are airplane games, but any resemblance ends there.

this is SONY staff demoing the PS3 controller…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viIWk1oMac

and this is Joe Average playing Wii at Nintendo booth…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xctE...wii%20airplane

Now, tell me honestly which company would you give any credit.

Too much for Sony a.k.a. "biggest name in the business" playing follow-the-leader with Nintendo… that distant third player out there.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 13, 2006, 02:01 PM

"These are the settings, but they are not working today...... This is where you go to access websites, but its not working today"

"Can you personalise the background image? .. I don't know, and we can't get any of the guys up here to find out!..."

Yeah, really professional, and a great way to show off the system.. .

The interface is basically the same as PSP.

Other news, I pre ordered a PS3 today, not because I really want one, but to make sure I'm able to get one if I do want it. I can get a refund or transfer the pre order to a Wii if I want (more probable).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 02:06 PM

let me add some spice…

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2006, 02:23 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 02:35 PM

"It can play MP3 or ATRAC..."

Sony just won't give up on that, will it?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
"It can play MP3 or ATRAC..."

Sony just won't give up on that, will it?
I don't have time to find the article right now I'm about to leave for work, but I remember seeing an article saying that it will also play (non-protected) AAC and other formats in addition to those two. The article was saying how this is a big change for sony how they've always been about their own formats but now their realizing they will lose doing that. I'll post the article when I get home unless someone else has found it by then.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
"fantastic innovation" the guy says…

Sony is really good at pretending to be innovative by taking things that other companies have done.

Nevertheless… there is a huge difference, Nintendo Wii controller is there to stay. Sony's motion controller was built into the console at the very end of the product design and testing, it's unlikely that it will be as integral to the system as Nintendo's, which has been marketed to consumers and implemented in game development since the Wii's inception.

Like no other, huh SONY?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
I don't have time to find the article right now I'm about to leave for work, but I remember seeing an article saying that it will also play (non-protected) AAC and other formats in addition to those two. The article was saying how this is a big change for sony how they've always been about their own formats but now their realizing they will lose doing that. I'll post the article when I get home unless someone else has found it by then.
The new AAC support is for their music players.

However, it's not really new, since Sony phones have been supporting AAC files for years. In fact, they even support Apple's iTunes AAC files (albeit not the ones with DRM from the iTMS).

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2006, 12:56 AM

The new AAC support is for their music players.

However, it's not really new, since Sony phones have been supporting AAC files for years. In fact, they even support Apple's iTunes AAC files (albeit not the ones with DRM from the iTMS).
The roblem isnt what they support of not, it's the sheer disarray of their entire product line. a few products support this format, others yet another format, et....not just music players, but televisions and now the PS3, with one supporting wi-fi and HDMI, etc.

The sheer lack of a unified strategy/support across product lines is going to do them in. It really shouldnt be all that hard, they are a single company after all, like Apple.

Why is this a problem ? they are in essence a consumer electronic company. the major audience with those products is your average joe. if you fragment your support the way Sony has, you will only turn customers off. something they cannot afford to do..... couple that with the fact that the sheer existence of Sony is banking on the success of the PS3.... i think they might have shot themselves in the head by anouncing two versions of the PS3. it'll sell like crazy for the first quarter(echnophiles)....but after that i suspect it will plateau really quickly.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2006, 01:01 AM

Sony's divisions seem a lot more independent than Apple's. In some ways this can be a good thing. For example, IBM has had tremendous success with this type of organization. Sony did too until recently. However, currently Sony seems to have lost its way somewhat, and is relying a little too heavily on past successes and name, in a rapidly changing environment.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 04:02 AM

If game console threads don't prove that people become zealots over the most stupid things...

I am jaded. I still like to play video games, but these days they have to significantly improve upon what is already available or do something completely different to entertain me.

When it was unveiled last year, the Wii controller struck me as something that could do the latter regularly but it was unknown if it would work well with anything beyond glorified tech demos like the ones that dominate the EyeToy.

Based on what I've read and seen on the Web over the past week, it appears that the Wii controller can indeed be used for deep games. It isn't perfect, but based on impressions from those who have used it, it sounds like developers can fix the control issues in the unfinished Wii games playable at E3.

I am not a zealot, mind you. There are a few announced and available Xbox 360 and PS3 games that interest me, but far more come off like the games we have been playing for the last ten years but with improved visuals and audio. That's not enough for me anymore. (And I'm certainly not paying $600 for a game console.)
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2006, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1
tin pot, garden shed

fhoubi
Senior User
May 14, 2006, 08:53 AM

and this is Joe Average playing Wii at Nintendo booth…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xctE...wii%20airplane

Now, tell me honestly which company would you give any credit
At the time watching I realized you could never do a 360 roll with a Wii, they did it... Cool.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 14, 2006, 10:15 AM

whatever console James Bond uses I will get

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost

It would appear that 007 doesn't use a console at all...

---

P.S. Now I know why Microsoft chose to put three PPE cores in the Xbox 360. I just saw the Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball 2 trailer, and the characters' boobies bounce individually, and quite a lot. It would seem that that the developers need one core for the game, and one core for each of the two boobies, considering how much those appendages move.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 14, 2006 at 10:37 AM. )

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 14, 2006, 11:01 AM

It would appear that 007 doesn't use a console at all....
He will get a PS3 to use 7 cores to decode the evil intentions of Microsoft.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 14, 2006, 11:09 AM

Good for you. Nevertheless, I will avoid it, Bond keeps sucking big time for ages.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 11:27 AM

That's not the real James Bond. This is....

and so the game of choice for the real James Bond would be the GameCube

http://gamesnews.virgin.net/Virgin/L...nology,00.html
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 14, 2006, 11:51 AM

That games sucked balls. The voiceover was so croaky I laughed hard for two levels and gave the thing back to Blockbuster.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2006, 12:20 PM

I think the fickle hipsters at Engadget might actually prefer the Wii controller to that of the PS3, at least as far as the motion sensitivity goes.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/13/c...tion-3-vs-wii/

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2006, 12:21 PM

I think the fickle hipsters at Engadget might actually prefer the Wii controller to that of the PS3, at least as far as the motion sensitivity goes.

I would agree with them. I think the motion control on the PS3 is stupid. Good thing it has lots of other stuff to offer.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2006, 12:32 PM

"Well, we should preface our thoughts by some interesting information we discovered talking to a lead developer at an unnamed publishing house: they discovered about the PS3 controller's motion sensing capabilities just a couple of weeks before E3"

Very interesting...

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2006, 12:33 PM

Someone go run and tell SWG.

Forum Links
Forum Rules