Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Want a new Pro that looks like an Air?

Want a new Pro that looks like an Air?
Thread Tools
quiklee
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
 
The rumors are that the newly design MBPro is going to have the tapered edges like the Air. I seriously doubt the Pro will ditch an optical drive in the next revision so I'm not sure how great the pro's going to look with tapered edges . . . Honestly, I think it's perfect the way it is, but I'm biased!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs
     
TiBook_Kid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2008, 08:18 PM
 
i highly doubt that one of apple's pro lines would omit the optical drive. they would lose tons of customers, and i think a redesign is completely needed on the mbp and the mac pro. they have been the same design for 4-5 years now, so i think a refresh is in order.

Regards,
Jake
Titanium PBG4 "Bruiser" 1GHz, 512mb, 60gb, MacBook "Whitey" 1.83 GHz 512mb, 120gb, PowerMac G4 "Sawtoof" 350MHz, 576mb, 120gb, iPhone, iPod nano
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2008, 08:46 PM
 
I'm sure Apple will make it gorgeous. I hope that they don't give it black keys like the Air though, that just doesn't fit in at all. I do love the current MBP design though, it is a true classic. I would rather see the MacBook be redesigned.
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2008, 10:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by TiBook_Kid View Post
i highly doubt that one of apple's pro lines would omit the optical drive. they would lose tons of customers, and i think a redesign is completely needed on the mbp and the mac pro. they have been the same design for 4-5 years now, so i think a refresh is in order.

Regards,
Jake
Why? Just because it looks the same? The current case designs are incredibly well thought out, thats less than I can say for the macbook.

I just hope apple leaves the macbook pro keyboard the way it is and leaves that abomination of a keyboard that they seem to like on the consumer models.
     
TiBook_Kid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 8, 2008, 11:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Why? Just because it looks the same? The current case designs are incredibly well thought out, thats less than I can say for the macbook.

I just hope apple leaves the macbook pro keyboard the way it is and leaves that abomination of a keyboard that they seem to like on the consumer models.
in a way, i would just like to see something different. yes, they are well thought out, but there is always something that can be improved on. personally, i would just like to see the mbp and the mac pro offered in a black aluminum alongside the silver. yes, it might resemble a lenovo or a dell, but it is very luxurious. and i am on the same side with you on the keyboard, i hate the little chicklet keys.

overall, i believe a redesign is in order, but not a price hike just with a fancy redesign.
Titanium PBG4 "Bruiser" 1GHz, 512mb, 60gb, MacBook "Whitey" 1.83 GHz 512mb, 120gb, PowerMac G4 "Sawtoof" 350MHz, 576mb, 120gb, iPhone, iPod nano
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2008, 12:48 AM
 
With more than one USB port, going optical-free would be great.
Next they can replace a Firewire port with eSATA (faster, cheaper, and less likely to destroy your logic board).
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2008, 02:34 AM
 
I'm surprised by how many people want a new design just for the sake of getting a new look every couple of years.

I'd rather have Apple improve the current excellent design to address specific shortcomings than switch to a rev A design just so that the marketing department can go off about how people are getting something totally new.
     
Xarthan
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
Why? Just because it looks the same? The current case designs are incredibly well thought out, thats less than I can say for the macbook.
I agree on that part except for the HD design. I wish it was more user acessable like the Macbook for upgrades.
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD
     
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2008, 02:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
The rumors are that the newly design MBPro is going to have the tapered edges like the Air. I seriously doubt the Pro will ditch an optical drive in the next revision so I'm not sure how great the pro's going to look with tapered edges . . . Honestly, I think it's perfect the way it is, but I'm biased!
They could move the optical drive to the side and toward the hinges where the case would be thicker. There's no way Apple would eliminate the optical drive on the MBP at this point though I do expect that will happen in the next 3 years or so.
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2008, 09:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
With more than one USB port, going optical-free would be great.
Next they can replace a Firewire port with eSATA (faster, cheaper, and less likely to destroy your logic board).
At this point in time an optical drive is absolutely essential on a pro machine, seeing as most production media is still on optical disks. And carrying around an external drive is horrible, especially since the footprint of the machine wouldn't be any smaller with the optical drive removed.
     
Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicagoland area
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 9, 2008, 11:52 PM
 
Another vote for the current MBP staying the same. I think the current design is timeless. Sleek, practical, durable, exceptionally good looking. I would rather seem y MB look more like the Air or the MBP. They keys suck on my MB and the case sucks (cracks).

As for my MBP, every time I look at it I am taken by it's good looks.
     
EndlessMac
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2008, 01:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by quiklee View Post
The rumors are that the newly design MBPro is going to have the tapered edges like the Air. I seriously doubt the Pro will ditch an optical drive in the next revision so I'm not sure how great the pro's going to look with tapered edges . . . Honestly, I think it's perfect the way it is, but I'm biased!
If this is true then it would make a lot more sense to think of the redesign as a thicker MBA for the MBP design. I can't speak for others but I personally would not buy a MBP without an optical drive. I use it all the time and would rather not like to carry a separate drive with me. I like being able to quickly pick up my laptop and go without having to hassle with grabbing accessories in order to do what I want.

Although I think we are all making the mistake in thinking that the possible redesign is going to be as thin as the MBA. It sounds like it's mostly a tapering of the edges like the MBA style which will make it look like an overweight MBA if this rumor is true. I don't know how good that will look because the current MBP design is really good as it is but I'll hold my opinion until I actually see it. I think the MacBook needs more work than the MBP but I guess we will see how accurate this rumor is in due time.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2008, 04:25 AM
 
I agree that a pro portable definitely needs an internal optical option.

However, what I'd like to see is a removable optical. That way if I know I won't be needing it (which happens quite often actually) I can install a second battery instead. Apple used to do this. Many PC notebook manufacturers do it too. With Apple's engineering skill I'm sure they could implement such a system w/o adding extra thickness.
     
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Yamanashi, Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 10, 2008, 10:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I agree that a pro portable definitely needs an internal optical option.

However, what I'd like to see is a removable optical. That way if I know I won't be needing it (which happens quite often actually) I can install a second battery instead. Apple used to do this. Many PC notebook manufacturers do it too. With Apple's engineering skill I'm sure they could implement such a system w/o adding extra thickness.
Thats the one feature I wish the current line of laptops is lacking. I think most Pro users would enjoy the option of having a second battery on their computer. I'd gladly leave my optical drive at home and pop in a second battery when traveling. Especially when I hit up those trans-pacific flights....

I'm surprised the Pismo lovers haven't jumped on this thread. Those were great computers in their day, heck, still are. Maybe all the Pismo fans have given up and gotten new intel macs...
     
brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Join Date: Oct 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 11, 2008, 03:48 AM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I agree that a pro portable definitely needs an internal optical option.

However, what I'd like to see is a removable optical. That way if I know I won't be needing it (which happens quite often actually) I can install a second battery instead. Apple used to do this. Many PC notebook manufacturers do it too. With Apple's engineering skill I'm sure they could implement such a system w/o adding extra thickness.
Good idea.
     
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
 
I would welcome a removal of the optical drive. I rarely use mine, and it wouldn't bother me to carry the external drive in the laptop bag most of the time.

Would Apple be brave enough to move to a sealed battery? I wouldn't mind that either. I don't even own a second battery. If Apple created an external battery unit for long trips, they'd silence most of the critics.

Apple could remove many ports, too. Modem, ethernet, FW400 can all be achieved with attachments. Just 2 USB2, FW800, video, and sound would be fine.
     
Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
 
I'm pretty happy with the design, as it's been the only design I've had. I bought the first aluminum 15 inch Powerbook G4, and now have a Macbook Pro. About my only minor design quibble is the IR sensor on the front stands out a bit, it would have been pretty slick if they could have hidden it a bit in the optical drive area like on the Mini.

I definitely understand the allure of the Pismo though, I was so close to buying a used one for the longest time when the Titaniums were out.

Ethernet needs to stay put though in the Pro laptops. I'm constantly using it, as well as the full DVI port and would hate to need dongles for either. With the prevalence of (crap) USB portable drives that need two power ports, 2 USB ports on a single side of the 15 inch would be nice, though I tend to avoid this need by sticking to bus powered 2.5 inch firewire enclosures.

I think anything new may just be a minor change in look, until we get closer to OLED displays becoming affordable for laptops.
<This space under renovation>
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 12, 2008, 06:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
With more than one USB port, going optical-free would be great.
Next they can replace a Firewire port with eSATA (faster, cheaper, and less likely to destroy your logic board).
No way, losing the optical drive would be a mistake for apple. The MBA has been marketed for those folks who want an additional computer that is great for traveling. Its not been targeted at the desktop replacement or single use sector. I'd rather not need to worry about buying or carrying an extra optical drive just because apple decided to forgo the option in the name of asthetics

Adding eSATA would be a great move, not sure how many people still use FW. I was under the impression that many video cameras still have that interface. I'm not sure since I don't do any of that stuff..
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Adding eSATA would be a great move, not sure how many people still use FW. I was under the impression that many video cameras still have that interface. I'm not sure since I don't do any of that stuff..
Some video cameras still use it, and they will for a long time (due to HDV still being recorded to tape). Though as HD cameras move to solid state the need to import over firewire will decrease.

However that doesn't make USB any better. As I'm sure everyone knows USB transfers are awful on the mac, lagging the whole system at times. For anyone relying on external hard drives to store and edit video from they need firewire or esata (I prefer firewire due to the fact that I can power a drive from it, esata can't deliver power). Firewire is pretty much the only way someone like myself (and many others) can use their macbook pro as a mobile editing station. So at least in my mind it would be a poor decision to get rid of firewire.

I also agree wholeheartedly with your point about the optical drive.
     
finalsortie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 12, 2008, 05:33 PM
 
As much as I like to current design, I would like to see a refresh in the design of the MB and MBP. I think making all their macs aluminum and tweaking the current designs to be more robust would be the best option. I always prefer strength and durability over the cutting edge. . . It is also important for Apple forge ahead with more ecologically friendly designs.

Personally, I use FW, as I have an external DVD/DVDR/DL etc, that I used via FW with my ibook G4 1.07 combo drive. I would also like to be able to use this drive with a new mac, and I plan on upgrading to the a pro grade laptop in the next year or two.

On a side note, if they could ditch the MacBook name I think that would be awesome. . . alas they seem rather fixated on it.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 02:34 AM
 
I don't like the MacBooks/Pros anymore. They are too dated. I tried out an HP and it felt way better on my hands and arms. Right now, the bezel of my MacBook Pro is piercing into my wrists. The edges are not tapered enough. When you inspect the casing, you can see that the plastic bezel is kinda cheapish. The MacBook Air totally antiquates the MacBook Pro in its design. With that, I would like to see a sort of hybrid MacBook Air/Pro. Keep the optical drive, a little thinner than what we have now for the Pros, tapered edges, a MacBook Air quality screen but at 15 and 17", and so forth. Of course they are going to change it, it has been way too long. I am confident that what they do is what we are all alluding too, and the keyboard will be changed for sure.

For those that want the silver chicklets to remain, the newer, flatter keys can improve your typing speed by 10-15%. I also like the black. It is easier to find keys with it, and centers the keyboard more in one's field of view, whereas the silver keyboard is sort of invisible.

As for the name... always hated it. MacBook... so lame. Bring back PowerBook, way better. Call them PowerBook Pro, PowerBook Air and maybe keep MacBook for the the entry level "MacBook."
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I don't like the MacBooks/Pros anymore. They are too dated. I tried out an HP and it felt way better on my hands and arms. Right now, the bezel of my MacBook Pro is piercing into my wrists. The edges are not tapered enough. When you inspect the casing, you can see that the plastic bezel is kinda cheapish. The MacBook Air totally antiquates the MacBook Pro in its design. With that, I would like to see a sort of hybrid MacBook Air/Pro. Keep the optical drive, a little thinner than what we have now for the Pros, tapered edges, a MacBook Air quality screen but at 15 and 17", and so forth. Of course they are going to change it, it has been way too long. I am confident that what they do is what we are all alluding too, and the keyboard will be changed for sure.

For those that want the silver chicklets to remain, the newer, flatter keys can improve your typing speed by 10-15%. I also like the black. It is easier to find keys with it, and centers the keyboard more in one's field of view, whereas the silver keyboard is sort of invisible.

As for the name... always hated it. MacBook... so lame. Bring back PowerBook, way better. Call them PowerBook Pro, PowerBook Air and maybe keep MacBook for the the entry level "MacBook."
The design is hardly dated, it is far more modern looking than any other laptop I've seen. Also the way the edges are tapered on the macbook air would do nothing to make your wrists more comfortable while typing. And making the macbook pro thinner would be almost impossible at this point, I don't know if you've opened one up but they are packed pretty tightly in there. The screen on the macbook pros is far nicer than what's on the airs. The macbook air screens look mediocre. If you are referring to the glossy finish, you can already get that on the pros.

As for the keyboard, I can't see any way that the chicklet style keyboards would improve your typing speed. After typing on them for a while, and having enough time on them on the macbook, macbook air, and apple aluminum keyboards to feel comfortable using them they still do nothing but slow down my typing and cause more errors. Maybe it's easier to find keys if you are looking at the keyboard, but for most people who touch type it is harder to find the keys since they are all flat, it gives me a harder time differentiating between the edges of keys.

The name however is lame, like you said, I feel ridiculous saying "oh I have a macbook pro" (as much as I do like the machine).
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
The design is hardly dated, it is far more modern looking than any other laptop I've seen. Also the way the edges are tapered on the macbook air would do nothing to make your wrists more comfortable while typing. And making the macbook pro thinner would be almost impossible at this point, I don't know if you've opened one up but they are packed pretty tightly in there. The screen on the macbook pros is far nicer than what's on the airs. The macbook air screens look mediocre. If you are referring to the glossy finish, you can already get that on the pros.

As for the keyboard, I can't see any way that the chicklet style keyboards would improve your typing speed. After typing on them for a while, and having enough time on them on the macbook, macbook air, and apple aluminum keyboards to feel comfortable using them they still do nothing but slow down my typing and cause more errors. Maybe it's easier to find keys if you are looking at the keyboard, but for most people who touch type it is harder to find the keys since they are all flat, it gives me a harder time differentiating between the edges of keys.

The name however is lame, like you said, I feel ridiculous saying "oh I have a macbook pro" (as much as I do like the machine).
Most of what you say is off the mark. The design is over 4 years old, it is now officially uninteresting and antiquated next to other computers, like the Air and the ThinkPad X300. The edges are not good on the Pro, they need to taper them more. This is one of the reasons why I use a Wallstreet and 5300ce whenever I can. Their design is much more pleasing and pleasant both to look at and to work with. They also will make the Pro thinner, not much, but they will, both because they can and because they need to give people a reason to buy them, that there are changes. The MacBook Air screen is the best Apple has put out on a portable. I have seen the Pro's glossy screen, the Air's is better. The newer keyboards are faster, period. This is one of the reasons Apple switched to it for not only their laptops, but the iMacs too.
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Most of what you say is off the mark. The design is over 4 years old, it is now officially uninteresting and antiquated next to other computers, like the Air and the ThinkPad X300. The edges are not good on the Pro, they need to taper them more. This is one of the reasons why I use a Wallstreet and 5300ce whenever I can. Their design is much more pleasing and pleasant both to look at and to work with. They also will make the Pro thinner, not much, but they will, both because they can and because they need to give people a reason to buy them, that there are changes. The MacBook Air screen is the best Apple has put out on a portable. I have seen the Pro's glossy screen, the Air's is better. The newer keyboards are faster, period. This is one of the reasons Apple switched to it for not only their laptops, but the iMacs too.
My comments are off the mark? Yes, it really makes sense to change one of the most functional, elegant, and iconic case designs of all time because a fraction of customers think it has grown boring. Why do the edges need to be tapered? How are they not good? If you want the top edges to be tapered for typing comfort then how is the air any better? It's top edges are not tapered and they are bare metal, which makes the air arguably less comfortable than the pro.

I also highly doubt they will make the machines any thinner. It's pretty evident you haven't opened up any of the pro line of apple portables, because there really isn't any room to make them thinner. Especially considering how hot they already get.

The air's screen is not better, it is the same panel that is in the macbook from everything I can tell. I own a macbook pro and use an air daily, the air's screen is fine, but it is nothing outstanding.

And how are the newer keyboards faster? I know it gives a feeling of speed because you can barely feel where you are typing and because the key stroke is fairly short, but for anyone who is a good touch typist I can't see how it's faster.

And last, if you are able to do your work on machines as ancient as a wallstreet or 5300ce then why would you have bought a macbook pro?
     
Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 04:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
My comments are off the mark? Yes, it really makes sense to change one of the most functional, elegant, and iconic case designs of all time because a fraction of customers think it has grown boring. Why do the edges need to be tapered? How are they not good? If you want the top edges to be tapered for typing comfort then how is the air any better? It's top edges are not tapered and they are bare metal, which makes the air arguably less comfortable than the pro.

I also highly doubt they will make the machines any thinner. It's pretty evident you haven't opened up any of the pro line of apple portables, because there really isn't any room to make them thinner. Especially considering how hot they already get.

The air's screen is not better, it is the same panel that is in the macbook from everything I can tell. I own a macbook pro and use an air daily, the air's screen is fine, but it is nothing outstanding.

And how are the newer keyboards faster? I know it gives a feeling of speed because you can barely feel where you are typing and because the key stroke is fairly short, but for anyone who is a good touch typist I can't see how it's faster.

And last, if you are able to do your work on machines as ancient as a wallstreet or 5300ce then why would you have bought a macbook pro?
Besides the fact that both of you are taking this a little personal, freudling is right.
Apple switched keyboard because the chiclet style is proven to increase typing speed. Maybe not for all, but for the majority.
And I am sorry to disappoint you, but you are not the majority of customers and it is entirely possible the the majority of Macbook Pro owners currently are feeling outdated. But it is future customers that matter and they will see the Macbook Pro as a five year old design and go buy a new Carbonfiber Sony.
Evidently you didn't consider the advances made in logic boards and graphics cards since they came out with the Macbook Pro design. The Macbook air is a perfect example of how they can take something seemingly impossibly small and make it smaller and thinner. Newer Intel processors coming out advance upon the Penyrn design further and newer cooling devices will make it possible to have less free space for cooling. Also smaller chips, boards, drives, and such make it possible tto take off more as well.
As far as the screen's go this has been a point of controversy for all Apple products and is hard to tell. No the Macbook and Macbook Air do not share screens. To start with the Macbook Airs screen is designed to be more green and work better with LED backlighting, whereas the Macbook screen is old as far as technology goes. I think I also read somewhere that the size is a little different, but I have never used both at the same time to measure them up. It is probably true that the Macbook Pro's screen is better as it should be, it is a Pro model and offers many more screen choices. He might have been referring to the older CFFL backlit models. It is also possible that his eyes just can't see all of the small detail on the little screen so it all looks clear and clean, whereas on the Pro's you can see pixilation much better since it is bigger.

Hope this helps a little!
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 04:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Beweglich View Post
Besides the fact that both of you are taking this a little personal, freudling is right.
Apple switched keyboard because the chiclet style is proven to increase typing speed. Maybe not for all, but for the majority.
And I am sorry to disappoint you, but you are not the majority of customers and it is entirely possible the the majority of Macbook Pro owners currently are feeling outdated. But it is future customers that matter and they will see the Macbook Pro as a five year old design and go buy a new Carbonfiber Sony.
Evidently you didn't consider the advances made in logic boards and graphics cards since they came out with the Macbook Pro design. The Macbook air is a perfect example of how they can take something seemingly impossibly small and make it smaller and thinner. Newer Intel processors coming out advance upon the Penyrn design further and newer cooling devices will make it possible to have less free space for cooling. Also smaller chips, boards, drives, and such make it possible tto take off more as well.
As far as the screen's go this has been a point of controversy for all Apple products and is hard to tell. No the Macbook and Macbook Air do not share screens. To start with the Macbook Airs screen is designed to be more green and work better with LED backlighting, whereas the Macbook screen is old as far as technology goes. I think I also read somewhere that the size is a little different, but I have never used both at the same time to measure them up. It is probably true that the Macbook Pro's screen is better as it should be, it is a Pro model and offers many more screen choices. He might have been referring to the older CFFL backlit models. It is also possible that his eyes just can't see all of the small detail on the little screen so it all looks clear and clean, whereas on the Pro's you can see pixilation much better since it is bigger.

Hope this helps a little!
I haven't seen anything proving the chicklet style keyboards to be faster, but if you have a link I'd for sure be interested to see why it's faster. I also never said I was the majority of customers, but the macbook pro isn't really boring, there is nothing else out there like it, like I said before it is pretty iconic.

I also don't think apple really will be able to make the machine any thinner and up performance at the same time. Yes, chips are getting smaller, but they are also getting more powerful. Things have remained mostly the same size because apple has opted for more powerful machines over thinner machines.

I completely forgot about the LED backlighting, you're right there. But the larger screens are also higher resolution than the smaller screens, so the pixelation thing wouldn't make much of a difference, since both size screens have roughly the same amount of pixels per inch (110 on the MBP 15inch, 116 on the MBP 17inch, and 113 on the macbook/macbook air).

Again, the case design and what people like is all personal preference, I'm a huge fan of the current design and would ask for nothing but performance increases (and a 15.4" model with a 1920x1200 res option). I understand some others may want it changed but I really can't see much increase in functionality by altering the current design.
     
Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 06:49 PM
 
A co-worker informed me about the keyboard. He might not really know, but he did have good reasons. Less distance between keys, and less chance of double-tap or inadvertent presses. I do agree it seems harder to touch type, but once you get use to it, it is easier. Just like changing from a mouse to a touchpad. Different style, but in the end they will do the same thing with just as much accuracy (at least for me). But I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 09:49 PM
 
baballe336:

How's the dogma! "I also don't think apple really will be able to make the machine any thinner and up performance at the same time. Yes, chips are getting smaller, but they are also getting more powerful. Things have remained mostly the same size because apple has opted for more powerful machines over thinner machines."

baballe336, the way you have it, Apple will never change the design of their computers such that they will be thinner, which is of course patently false. Although it is hard to make predictions, Apple's certainly won't remain the same as they are today, it just is not the way we are evolving and it is not the way the industry works. We get it, you like the design, some don't. If you mull around on the forums you can see many people complaining that they are tired of the design, and that it is too boxy and unappealing: too industrial looking.

The keyboard. Jobs stated in one of his keynotes that the new chicklet keyboard will improve your typing speed. I have tried it and it is faster. I am very sensitive to typing speed because I type all day long, largely because I have to craft and send an email every 4 minutes over an 8 hour span.

What we will see in the next MBP revision is a thinner, streamlined rig with the chicklet keyboard and better battery/screen, with an updated Intel processor. It will remain silver, with a black keyboard, and maybe they will offer the option of a black one. It will look similar to the MBA, but will be thicker with an optical drive.
     
Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Somerville, MA and San Jose, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 10:00 PM
 
My MBP's front edge grabs onto my arm hair. It's quite painful. There is between the metal and the thin gray strip.

And, no, my arms are not that hairy.

My other complaint is that the screen should open to 170 degrees, at least.

Lighter is better, but otherwise, I have no complaints about the MBP. I'd like to have a model that is anodized black--and I'd pay for it (bought my girlfriend a black MacBook last year).
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 11:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
baballe336:

How's the dogma! "I also don't think apple really will be able to make the machine any thinner and up performance at the same time. Yes, chips are getting smaller, but they are also getting more powerful. Things have remained mostly the same size because apple has opted for more powerful machines over thinner machines."

baballe336, the way you have it, Apple will never change the design of their computers such that they will be thinner, which is of course patently false. Although it is hard to make predictions, Apple's certainly won't remain the same as they are today, it just is not the way we are evolving and it is not the way the industry works. We get it, you like the design, some don't. If you mull around on the forums you can see many people complaining that they are tired of the design, and that it is too boxy and unappealing: too industrial looking.

The keyboard. Jobs stated in one of his keynotes that the new chicklet keyboard will improve your typing speed. I have tried it and it is faster. I am very sensitive to typing speed because I type all day long, largely because I have to craft and send an email every 4 minutes over an 8 hour span.

What we will see in the next MBP revision is a thinner, streamlined rig with the chicklet keyboard and better battery/screen, with an updated Intel processor. It will remain silver, with a black keyboard, and maybe they will offer the option of a black one. It will look similar to the MBA, but will be thicker with an optical drive.
I just don't think they will get any thinner in the next revision. I also haven't said that they won't change the design, I have just said the currently I don't think there is much room for improvement, at least not enough to make the case appear drastically different. The whole keyboard thing, why haven't they added it to the pro line yet? I mean if it is so much better why has apple kept updating the pro line and not added the chicklet style keyboard? It's been out for a long time now. We'll see what happens with the next updates, maybe I'll be wrong, it's happened before. I wouldn't be too surprised if apple made an update that was all for aesthetics, as that's the way the company has been headed recently, fashion over function.

We could probably keep arguing for a while, but it's not really going to accomplish a whole lot. To each his own, hopefully the next revision will be acceptable to everyone.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 13, 2008, 11:53 PM
 
maybe I'll be wrong, it's happened before.

I am sure it has.
     
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 12:00 AM
 
I wonder if they are considering a numpad for the 17".

The 15" requires a redesign because there's no room for a wider trackpad. It can't get any wider now because it's wedged tight between the optical drive and the battery.
     
naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 03:25 AM
 
Hi guys

I just ordered mine so the newly designed MacBook Pro should be announced in a few days! Confirmed!!!!!!
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 05:34 AM
 
Originally Posted by Bwa View Post
My other complaint is that the screen should open to 170 degrees, at least.
Excellent point! I don't know about 170º but the MBP screen could definitely open more than it does now. That's one of those little things I've missed ever since we made the jump from the PB to the MBP.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 05:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
maybe I'll be wrong, it's happened before.
I am sure it has.
How about you get off your high horse and give it a rest. You two are both guessing. And neither one of your guesses seems more educated than the other's. And quite frankly this bickering is tiring.

Fact is we don't know what Apple will do in terms of the case. They could very well update the case, but they could also leave it just the way it is. Both scenarios are absolutely possible. And even if they do some modifications we have no specific reason to believe that these modifications will be especially extensive or not. All we can do is sit back and wait for either more inside information (doesn't happen much these days though) or the actual revision.

Until then, this 'my guess is better than yours' baloney doesn't add any value to the thread.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 07:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
How about you get off your high horse and give it a rest. You two are both guessing. And neither one of your guesses seems more educated than the other's. And quite frankly this bickering is tiring.
QFT
     
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
 
Hey people,

I'm in the market for a macbook pro, when is a revision likely? Will it be within the next year? The next few months? Or do people have no idea?

Thanks
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by kenna View Post
I'm in the market for a macbook pro, when is a revision likely? Will it be within the next year? The next few months?
Yes, it will be within the next few months. Intel will release the new Cantiga chipset (1067 MT/s FSB) together with the Penryn CPU refresh (speeds up to 2.8 GHz for the MBP, SSE 4.1) on June 3-7 so expect Apple to update after that. A new case or other design changes are possible (as always), yet all but certain.
     
lauwersp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
 
I bet the next MBP GETS the black keyboard. As much as i love the silver keys, the only thing i have to admit is the there are certain dimmer lighting situations where the backlet keys make the letters HARDER to read as the white/blue LED lighting is really similar to... ahem... silver. oops. and i LOVE the backlit keyboard feature (other than that). It makes the whole IBM/Lenovo shine a little light down on the keyboard from the top of the screen thing so... so... 70's.
     
bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 14, 2008, 08:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
maybe I'll be wrong, it's happened before.

I am sure it has.
You're so cutting.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 15, 2008, 02:59 AM
 
IIRC from an HI point of view it would be best to have light keys with dark letters. Unfortunately that conflicts with backlighting.
     
freudling
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 15, 2008, 04:18 AM
 
One of us needs to break into Apple and find out what they r working on.
     
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: May 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yes, it will be within the next few months. Intel will release the new Cantiga chipset (1067 MT/s FSB) together with the Penryn CPU refresh (speeds up to 2.8 GHz for the MBP, SSE 4.1) on June 3-7 so expect Apple to update after that. A new case or other design changes are possible (as always), yet all but certain.
Thanks Simon, do you own a MacBook Pro? Recommended over the simple MacBook?

I think the MacBook is too small and I don't really like the design unless its the black one and in which case I might as well pay that little bit extra for the bigger screen and overall sleeker looking MacBook Pro with better graphics card and backlit keyboard?

Also Simon, I have a 26inch Samsung HDTV and I want to hook it up to my MacBook Pro, will this be possible and will the transition be seamless? I don't know what port I will need on my HDTV for this, is there a simple way of finding out if my tv has one?

Just my current thoughts, i've never owned a Mac but i've been in the market for too long and finally its next on my to-buy-list....
( Last edited by kenna; Apr 15, 2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: more info)
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 16, 2008, 03:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by kenna View Post
Thanks Simon, do you own a MacBook Pro? Recommended over the simple MacBook?
I own both. I like the MBP for it's beautiful screen, the graphics power, and the all the ports. I like the MB for its size, the beautiful black case, and the simple way you can insert RAM or exchange the HDD.

I think the MacBook is too small and I don't really like the design unless its the black one and in which case I might as well pay that little bit extra for the bigger screen and overall sleeker looking MacBook Pro with better graphics card and backlit keyboard?
In that case you should go for the MBP. When it comes to looks alone I actually prefer the black MB over the MBP, but compared to the white MB I think the MBP is still very sexy.

Also Simon, I have a 26inch Samsung HDTV and I want to hook it up to my MacBook Pro, will this be possible and will the transition be seamless? I don't know what port I will need on my HDTV for this, is there a simple way of finding out if my tv has one?
It depends on your TV. Decent HDTVs usually have HDMI or DVI, as well as either VGA or component. Sometimes you can also find composite and S-video. The best in terms of quality and ease of use would be to hook it up through the MBP's DVI either directly (if your HDTV has DVI input) or through an inexpensive DVI->HDMI dongle.

If those options don't work you could try using a DVI->component adapter. Another option is to attach the included Apple DVI->VGA dongle to your MBP and hook that up to a VGA port or component ports (there are VGA->component adapters too) on your TV. As a final resort you could buy the Apple DVI video adapter that goes from the built in DVI to composite and S-video.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,