Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell 2408WFP or....?

Dell 2408WFP or....?
davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2008, 06:43 PM

I'm about to buy a new 24" monitor to replace my Dell 2407WFP which I just sold on these boards, I was very happy with the monitor, but I was looking for a wider color gamut. I'm attracted the 2408 because of my positive experience with 2407 and all the ports that the 2408 has. I"m thinking of using it as a tv replacement as well. Are there any other monitors I should consider?
( Last edited by davidflas; Feb 21, 2008 at 08:19 PM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2008, 08:08 PM

Samsung 245T is another one to consider with a S-PVA panel in the same price range.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Samsung 245T is another one to consider with a S-PVA panel in the same price range.
Thanks for the recommendation, I checked out the 245T. I decided to go with the Dell as it has more inputs, and a lot of a245T users were reporting that it made any annoying buzzing sound when in use. I know that I would be driven crazy by a sound like that. I can't wait to get my Dell, it should be here on Tuesday
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

bencurtis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2008, 12:55 PM

Would be interested to hear your opinion of the new display when it arrives..... Regards, Ben

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by bencurtis View Post
Would be interested to hear your opinion of the new display when it arrives..... Regards, Ben
My 2408WFP arrived today! So far I've noticed that colors are far more saturated than they are on my Macbook's screen. I'm going to hook my Blu-ray player to it via HDMI and my HD cable box via component later tonight, I'll post my impressions after I do that.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2008, 04:28 PM

Niceee, they have hdmi? This makes me want a new monitor, only got the 2007WFP last year as well... Maybe next year. Oh and please post pics with HD cable and bluray!
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
My 2408WFP arrived today! So far I've noticed that colors are far more saturated than they are on my Macbook's screen. I'm going to hook my Blu-ray player to it via HDMI and my HD cable box via component later tonight, I'll post my impressions after I do that.
Yow, that sounds like a bit oversaturated since the glossy coating on the MacBook screen already adds more saturation. Can you calibrate it out?

asodamiac
Senior User
Feb 27, 2008, 03:33 PM

I had my 2408WFP for about 3 days now and noticed the "vibrant" colors as well. I wouldn't say oversaturated because my images are still retaining detail throughout. It's not just overblown color channels.

However, the colors ARE way too vibrant. With programs that are not color space aware, I get some really bad skin tones, but landscape photos look beautiful.

I'm planning on purchasing a calibration tool in the near future. If you don't want to use the wider color gamut, you can set your monitor to work in SRGB, which I believe follows the NTSC 72%.

As for a general review of this monitor, I replaced a Dell 2407WFP-HC monitor with this. I have not experienced any overdrive issues or ghosting. I had no issues with the 2407WFP-HC, but did notice the overdrive and ghosting in some cases. However, I feel like the 2408 is just performing better than the 2407.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

OreoCookie
Feb 28, 2008, 08:42 AM

If you're doing anything connected to colors, you should definitely calibrate your screen. Otherwise statements such as `the color is off' is as inaccurate as the screen

The colors on my Samsung 213T look a lot, lot better than on my ProBook's screen. It really shows with skin tones and reds in particular.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Benix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 10:08 AM

...I just made the move from a Apple cinema Display to the new DELL 2408WFP and I can assure you guys it's going back into the box and to the hole it came from...

...Specs on paper doesn't mean a thing compare to real life experience...My 3 years Cinema Display look sharper better in all the ways but the thing that make me really mad is that color effect around small type...Instead of being black you have a small color effect around the black, mostly red...I makes you wont to focus all the time but the problem is not your eyes, it's the monitor...

...Very disappointed, do you self a favor, stick with Apple Cinema Displays please...

...PS And yes it's over saturated...! :-(

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2008, 02:08 PM

i think most pva panels are made by samsung and most ips panels by LG/phillips, but not exactly certain.

I was looking at the 245 T as well and also concerned re buzzing - does anyone actually have a unit? the other one i was looking at was the NEC LCD 2470WNX - same panel, but possibly less buzzing? again, anyone have experiences with that one? any info appreciate

charleslaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Benix View Post
the thing that make me really mad is that color effect around small type...Instead of being black you have a small color effect around the black, mostly red(
I want to second this comment and emphatically confirm this statement.

I bought two of 2408WFP displays to use with my new Mac Pro. On my PC at work, I use a dell 2407WFP that is almost two years old. Being very satisfied with that display, I assumed the 2408 would be better in every way. It is NOT. In fact, if I could buy a 2407 again, I would. The 2408's picture is garbage compared to the 2407, and it is garbage compared to the built-in display of my aluminum 24" iMac. The reason why... it's this "color effect" around the type. I use my display for handling text. And standard size fonts in the 9 to 12 point range all have this weird alternating red/blue hue around the letters. For example, the letter "u" looks blueish on one side and redish on another. In fact, every vertical line of any given character has this effect. and it's not all that subtle either. With the out-of-the-box settings, it is overwhelmingly bright and over-saturated in color. So the first thing I did was dial down everything.... brightness, contrtast, and dropping color levels down to 85 from 100 across the board. It still has this weird red/blue hue around the type and it is not acceptable at all. Every "i" looks maroon rather than black. Same with "l". the work "black".. oh wait. That word 'black' that I just typed has a redish 'b' and a bluish 'l'. Get my point?

It's bad... really bad. Note that this distracting flaw is present in both of these displays and not just one. They both do the same thing, and they do this on both Mac and PC.

I'm really dissapointed in this monitor because I was a true believer in the quality of Dell-branded displays based on my past experieneces. Again, I love my 18 month old 2407wfp. It looks immensely better than this 2408 to my eyes. They are going back in the box and back to Dell for a refund. I would go nuts looking at this all day.

Sorry Dell. What can I say... I just think you really missed the mark on this one. this alternating red/blue effect around the type is a showstopper for me.

charleslaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2008, 12:42 AM

I've been trying to use these displays for about 4 days now and have concluded they are going back to Dell.

I have learned the alternating red blue effect is actually a feature of Mac OS X's subpixel rendering to produce smooth type. Using Universal Access, I zoomed in at full zoom on a typical page of text and these red/blue colors (which are really just font smoothing hints) scale along with the text. It's rendered that way. The problem is, the 2408wfp is so oversaturated with color that it bleeds through and gives black text this weird colored appearance.

At first when I learned of this, I thought that I could just calibrate the monitor and I could eventually bring the colors down to terrestrial levels and all would be good. But this has turned out to be an unachievable goal. I have spent hours tweaking the calibration. I even bought a $129 product called "PANTONE huey" which is a hardware/software-based calibration system and still could not bring this monitor's over-saturated colors within acceptable tolerances. The only option the monitor provides that comes close is "sRGB", which does produce a display that I would consider almost normal. However, it over adjusts and too much color is lost. For example, there are no bright reds when using sRGB.

Anyway, to sum up... it has been a colossal waste of time fiddling and futzing around with these monitors. My right thumb is damn near blistered from pressing the monitor's menu buttons so many times in vain attempts to adjust the colors of these displays. They are being returned to Dell with no regrets and I will be buying Apple Cinema Displays instead. Yes, those displays are dated, but they are a known quantity and they still look fantastic.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 19, 2008, 09:17 PM

This reply is a bit late, but your default font smoothing method may be incorrect for the panel type. If you still have the Dell monitors, go to:

System Preferences -> Appearance > Font smoothing style

Try the various options, see if the color hints vanish. If they don't, you can effectively turn Font Smoothing off by setting a high minimum font size. The system prefpane will let you set the minimum up to 12 point (default is 8). If that's not high enough to kill the effect, you can use TinkerTool to set the minimum up to 144 point.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Apr 22, 2008, 08:08 PM

2408WFP should be a good choice, I have heard about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules