Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hostess Bars

Hostess Bars
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 04:27 PM

What the hell is a point of a hostess bar? Last night my friend and I ended up at one (his choice) and I just don't get it - why would anyone buy overpriced drinks just to talk to girls?!

They're most likely not going to put out, no matter how much game you've got or how much they drink, especially considering the watered down shots they get. So you're really just there to spend time with them, talk about nonsense, and then go home, alone. Who would do this on a regular basis? Are people really that starved for attention?

It seems like a strip club would be a better use of my dollar - less talking, more naked ladies, and I'm not really a fan of strip clubs, because again, you're probably going home alone.

It was one of the weirdest nights I've had in a while, definitely an experience, but not one I'm eager to repeat.

So, hostess bars, WTF?!

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 04:31 PM

A friend of mine, who paid her way through university as a stripper, told me this universal truth: "You're going to get screwed, but you won't get ****ed." She always said that she particularly enjoyed performing for lesbians, simply because the girls tended to visit as couples, get hot and bothered and go home together. Guys, on the other hand, just build up a ton of sexual energy with nowhere to go.

I never got the idea behind strip clubs, or hostess clubs, either. As you've said, what's the point? Go out, don't be an idiot, talk to a bunch of girls and you might just find one who likes you. It's easy, really.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 04:40 PM

A better choice:

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 04:41 PM

Please define "hostess bar".
I have no concept of one.

In other news, whilst googling for a definition, this thread made page 2 of the results... ...already.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 04:42 PM

Well done, SpaceMonkey, I couldn't find an appropriate image after a short search.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 04:44 PM

I came in here hoping that I could now buy a twinkie flavored candy bar or something and leave disappointed.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 04:56 PM

Same here. Why aren't there candy spammers here?

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 04:59 PM

From Wikipedia:
Hostesses light cigarettes, pour drinks, offer flirtatious conversation, and sing karaoke in an effort to keep the customers entertained. Hostesses can be seen as the modern counterpart of geishas, providing entertainment to groups of salarymen after work. The clubs are distinguished from strip clubs in that there is no dancing or nudity. A club will often also employ a female bartender, who is usually well-trained in mixology, and may also be the manager or mamasan. While drinks tend to be more expensive than at regular bars and there is generally a substantial cover charge, many places offer nomihōdai (飲み放題?) (bottomless refills) for certain drinks - usually just shōchū.

Hostesses need to drink with their customers every night, and it is not uncommon that they develop alcohol problems as a result.[1] Most bars run on a commission system in which hostesses receive a percentage of sales.

Patrons are generally greeted warmly at the door and seated as far away from other customers as possible. In some instances, a customer is able to choose with whom he spends time, while most often that is decided by the house. In either case, the hostess will leave after a certain amount of time or number of drinks, offering the customer a chance to see a fresh face.
Host and hostess clubs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The quoted portion pretty much describes my experience, with bolded parts being especially true. Also of note, there were no bottomless drinks available, which would've made it bearable.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Please define "hostess bar".
I have no concept of one.

In other news, whilst googling for a definition, this thread made page 2 of the results... ...already.
I haven't seen these outside of Japan, but essentially you pay a lot to sit with reasonably elegant women (or woman, depending on the club) and are served expensive drink/food in a dignified manner and engage in lively conversation. This is usually popular with businessmen setting out to entertain coworkers or clients, or lonely guys with money looking to meet that special lady. Though it is not outright prostitution, financial arrangements are sometimes made for further 'conversation', but that's if you're rich.

Recently a wave of women's liberation has swept in, bringing with it male hostess bars for the pleasure of women.

Foreigners are often confused by all this, thinking it's a whore house, and after dropping thousands of dollars they leave quite disappointed. At least that's my take after seeing enough of them in Tokyo.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 05:23 PM

Bizarre.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Bizarre.
Yes indeed, I'm still puzzled by it. But it's considered a high end form of entertainment in some circles, and there was even a popular tv series based on a male hostess bar on Fujisankei television.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 06:02 PM

Japan is scary.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 07:07 PM

Twinkie Bar

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 21, 2010, 08:28 PM

as luck would have it; just this night,i was talking to a man who had just gotten back from japan and described the very thing. his co-workers in japan (american company, over there to conduct training) took him to one for his bday.

what a small world.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I haven't seen these outside of Japan
A friend of mine asked me to meet him at the bar below a Japanese restaurant I had been to before in Montreal. So I did. Turned it was a hostess bar. Despite having gone to the restaurant several times prior, I had no idea. I thought the bar downstairs was just a bar, but apparently all the visiting Japanese businessmen knew about it, and frequented it for this reason. Mind you, given that I was just a student at the time, I made sure I never went back. The alcohol cost WAY too much.

So, yes they exist in North America. And I'd be shocked if they didn't exist in Asia outside of Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if they existed in other parts of the world too.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 09:28 PM

I live in Hawaii, 30% of the population is Japanese tourists.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I live in Hawaii, 30% of the population is Japanese tourists.
So are those bars all over Honolulu or something?

Meanwhile on the Big Island it seemed like the place of choice for booze for the locals at least was beer from the back of a pickup truck.

boy8cookie  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 09:41 PM

Yeah, there's a bunch of these bars all over Oahu, mostly in Waikiki. This was my first time in one, though. Probably last time, if I can help it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
A friend of mine asked me to meet him at the bar below a Japanese restaurant I had been to before in Montreal. So I did. Turned it was a hostess bar. Despite having gone to the restaurant several times prior, I had no idea. I thought the bar downstairs was just a bar, but apparently all the visiting Japanese businessmen knew about it, and frequented it for this reason. Mind you, given that I was just a student at the time, I made sure I never went back. The alcohol cost WAY too much.

So, yes they exist in North America. And I'd be shocked if they didn't exist in Asia outside of Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if they existed in other parts of the world too.
That's pretty funny. So honestly now - you've since become a member?

After second thought, it was naive to think that they wouldn't exist everywhere - these places must be gold mines.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2010, 07:45 AM

I'm just shocked the hostesses aren't all hopelessly drunk all the time, given that drinking is part of their job.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2010, 09:32 AM

There's tricks to make it appear like you're constantly drinking, but aren't - replacing liquids, disposing of them in an unwatched moment, etc.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 22, 2010, 08:34 PM

They have these in Hong Kong especially in Wanchai, except they will have sex with you if you want, mostly Thai ladies and Filipinas. You buy them expensive drinks and they talk to you massage your shoulders and call you "big man", "boss man" and "You so strong" etc.

Customers are lonely german tourists and US Sailors, not my idea of fun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules