Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 38)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Isn't a PS2 inside the PS3? I read that last night. I don't have the link on me.
Yes, and as was pointed out, the PS3 has been having compatibility problems.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 01:13 PM

I have a friend waiting outside BB right now for a PS3. Not for him, of course, but to sell on eBay. We decided that no one actually buys it to play, they all just sell it on eBay.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 01:28 PM

Where do you come up with this crap?

There is backwards compatability with the PS3.
So ? if someone wanted to play PS2 games, they could get a PS2 for like $150 ? unless they already own one, in which case, why would they get a PS3 to play PS2 games on....i think they'd rather wait until there are games they want on the PS3 before buying it.

Just cause someone has a PS2 doesnt automatically mean they will be buying a Ps3. Just like....if someone has a GCN they will not automatically get a Wii.

And no, i cant see through walls....fact of the matter is....Sony said they will supply 2 million by years end for $x. Nintendo said it will supply 4 million for $x/2. Sony's banking on the hardcore to invest, Nintendo's banking o nthe hardcore + everyone else. do the economics. which one will have more consoles in circulation ? demand, supply, price, audience.

just to clear your head.... more power does not mean more sales. if you have a PS2/GCN/XB doesnt mean you automatically buy a PS3/Wii/XB360 respectiely.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 16, 2006 at 01:35 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 01:32 PM

If you have PS2 games, you currently own a PS2. Therefore, if you buy a Wii, you can still play your PS2 games on your PS2.

Backwards compatibility helps, but it certainly doesn't make your console an automatic success.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
If you have PS2 games, you currently own a PS2. Therefore, if you buy a Wii, you can still play your PS2 games on your PS2.

Backwards compatibility helps, but it certainly doesn't make your console an automatic success.
Isn't that the very point you've been making about why the PS2 did so well? Talk about serious backpedaling.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So ?
You said "The PS3 doesn't even have that". I proved you wrong. There's your answer to "So?".

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 01:56 PM

Yes, and as was pointed out, the PS3 has been having compatibility problems.
uh 2-5% of all games and it will be fixed with a ROM update.

Beats having to buy and download old games.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
uh 2-5% of all games and it will be fixed with a ROM update.

Beats having to buy and download old games.
Which is why I won't be downloading and buying Windwaker again?

I guess I should have bought a PS3 where I can just download Genesis games for free...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 02:13 PM

Looks like the XBox 360 will be selling for $100 on Amazon:

Amazon Customers Vote Homepage

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 02:14 PM

Excite truck review:

IGN: Excite Truck Review

Oh god it has that overheating bit that annoyed the hell out of me in the excite bikes.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2006, 02:23 PM

Looks like the XBox 360 will be selling for $100 on Amazon:

Amazon Customers Vote Homepage
Wow! There were rumors about this, but everyone (including me) thought it was BS. But if it's part of a promotion like this I guess it sort of makes sense. I am totally going to try and get one for $100...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Wow! There were rumors about this, but everyone (including me) thought it was BS. But if it's part of a promotion like this I guess it sort of makes sense. I am totally going to try and get one for $100...
I might try and go for one too, but with Digg I think they'll probably sell out fast.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 02:56 PM

Too bad its a core system.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
word.
blah

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 03:04 PM

Just buy a hard drive and headset — blammo, you've got a full system and it's still $200 cheaper.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Just buy a hard drive and headset — blammo, you've got a full system and it's still $200 cheaper.
Exactly. I'm not going to complain about it being a Core system when it's $100.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That's the only differences?

What about controllers, outputs/inputs...?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 03:13 PM

That's the only differences?

What about controllers, outputs/inputs...?
I think Core comes with a wired controller instead. But there aren't any output/input differences (aside from the Premium coming with HD cables).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:14 PM

Well, if I assume the XBOX comes with only 1 controller, then I just by myself a wireless and whenever I have a person over they get stuck with wireless.

That could work.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:19 PM

Core doesn't have a hard drive, a headset, or component cables. It also includes a wired controller rather then a wireless one.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 03:30 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 03:33 PM

Ah, yes, another wave of phony bids.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 03:34 PM

Bingo.

I don't care about what PS3s are selling at until tomorrow when people actually physically have them. (Also when winning bidders actually have more than 0 feedback)

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2006, 03:36 PM

The winner has 54 feedback. $10,100.

It HAS to be fake.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 03:36 PM

Ah, yes, another wave of phony bids.
US $10,100.00

floridagators2 (54) is the "winner"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 04:01 PM

The review round up of the PS3 is very good as is the Wii's.

Sony's Playstation 3 review roundup - Engadget

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 04:13 PM

I have a feeling we're going to be having the same mindless debate 4 years from now.

But for some reason I keep getting involved.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 04:14 PM

Thought this was funny, especially with the GTA picture...

From Engadget

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2006, 04:15 PM

So, how many pages is this going tomorrow. Who here will actually have a PS3?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 16, 2006, 05:54 PM

Those Japanese PS3 Auctions Hit Reasonable

The Associated Press reports that the 60 GB version has selling close to the retail price of 60,000 yen (US $510). And that's with software thrown in.

That is, many resellers might be losing money on their investments. The huge bids placed on Yahoo! turned out to be bogus and were cancelled. My question: Is this launch turning out to a total bust?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Thought this was funny, especially with the GTA picture...

From Engadget
Yeah, I was coming here to post that. This release just gets weirder and weirder.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 07:33 PM

I thought this was a pretty good editorial on (mostly) the PS3:

The Older Gamers Paradise - 2old2play - Gamers

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2006, 07:58 PM

I thought this was a pretty good editorial on (mostly) the PS3:

The Older Gamers Paradise - 2old2play - Gamers
Wow, that was long. I didn't read it all, but I feel almost the exact opposite when it comes to comparing PC games to console games. There used to be more of a gap between console games and PC games when it came to graphics, but that's pretty much gone now unless you want to spend a LOT on a gaming PC. Every time I read a review of a game that is available on both the Xbox 360 and the PC, the reviewer says the same thing. If you have a kick-ass PC gaming setup, get the PC version. Otherwise, you'll get better performance from the Xbox 360.

And the thing I don't like about PC games is the struggle to get the games working correctly (or at all), to optimize your settings for your system, etc. Some people get off on this kind of thing, but it annoys me. I want to buy a game and know that it will run and run well.

By the way, I have officially given up the idea of getting a PS3 at launch (unless a miraculous online deal crops up). I had been hoping that Sears would be getting a couple of systems in, since nobody seems to think to check there, but I just called and mine said they wouldn't be getting any until closer to Christmas. I'm sure the other places in my area (Best Buy, Target, Wal*mart, Meijer, etc) are already completely staked out. So I took advantage of a deal that Meijer was running yesterday and got a slim PS2 for $99. I have one modded PS2 in my office that I use for work, but I wanted one in my movie room connected to my good HDTV. I had been putting off getting one, thinking that I could just use the backwards compatibility of the PS3 instead, but the lackluster launch titles and the insane difficulty of getting one made me change my mind. You sort of have to think when it's possible to get six PS2s (with the best library of games of any console) for the price of a PS3 with a handful of mostly mediocre games.

The slim PS2 is pretty amazing in comparison to the old one, by the way. It's so tiny!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 08:56 PM

Wow, that was long. I didn't read it all, but I feel almost the exact opposite when it comes to comparing PC games to console games. There used to be more of a gap between console games and PC games when it came to graphics, but that's pretty much gone now unless you want to spend a LOT on a gaming PC.
His point was that the gap may be closed right now, but it'll be gone in a couple of months anyway let alone five years in the future. Which is a fairly valid one.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2006, 09:02 PM

Yes, but I actually see that as an advantage of consoles. With the PC, it seems like every new game tries to push the envelope in terms of graphics. While that's good in some ways, it means that your system is always just on the verge of being obsolete. With a console, you will be completely up to date for several years.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 09:06 PM

Yes, but I actually see that as an advantage of consoles. With the PC, it seems like every new game tries to push the envelope in terms of graphics. While that's good in some ways, it means that your system is always just on the verge of being obsolete. With a console, you will be completely up to date for several years.
I agree with this too. It just invalidates the whole "graphics as a selling point" argument though.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 09:32 AM

I'm with you on this.

Though if the PS2 is any indication, early buyers still run the risk of future problems, occasionally.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 10:44 AM

Figures for today's PS3 sales in the US won't be out for a couple of days. But the Japan sales figures are in, and aside from failing to sell out (though they did come pretty close), there's another interesting statistic: what people in retail call the "attachment rate."

In the case of the PS3, this refers to what people bought with the console itself: extra controllers, games, cables, and so on. It's important to retailers, because their margin on the consoles themselves are razor-thin: most don't even make $10 per console they sell. The attachment rate does not count the console itself, so if a person buys only the console, that person has zero attachments. If the person buys the console, an extra controller, and two games, that's three attachments. Fairly simple stuff.

There are several figures for this in Japan, some higher, some lower. But thus far, the highest attachment rate anyone has put forth is 0.98. If we assume that retailers are limiting PS3 sales to one per person (as most do in the US), this means that just over half of the PS3 buyers in Japan aren't even buying games to play on their new console. Everyone expected there to be at least some flippers -people who buy the console for no reason except to sell it at auction- but over half? That's insane.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
There are several figures for this in Japan, some higher, some lower. But thus far, the highest attachment rate anyone has put forth is 0.98. If we assume that retailers are limiting PS3 sales to one per person (as most do in the US), this means that just over half of the PS3 buyers in Japan aren't even buying games to play on their new console. Everyone expected there to be at least some flippers -people who buy the console for no reason except to sell it at auction- but over half? That's insane.
This is almost comical. After the high demand for the PS2 and 360, it appears the high demand for the PS3 is from people who think there is high demand for the PS3?

No, I'm wrong. This is comical.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Everyone expected there to be at least some flippers -people who buy the console for no reason except to sell it at auction- but over half? That's insane.
And probably the truth. There were two news stories this morning and one last night here in NY. EVERYONE interviewed said they were going to sell the PS3 on ebay except one guy.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 10:54 AM

It occurs to me after a minute that this could be a situation not unlike ticket scalpers. We're talking 51,000 PS3s here. Perhaps the flippers merely had better access to early stock than actual gamers.

I find it hard to believe Japan doesn't have the full 100,000 gamers that want a PS3 to play.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 10:57 AM

PS3 Shooting

It's dangerous to want a PS3. This is not the BB gun incident, by the way.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 11:02 AM

This guy is evidently having trouble carrying his 90 lb PS3...

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 11:05 AM

Not to belittle crime, but I wonder how long till we hear about open fights, muggings, maybe even break-ins for the PS3.
PS3 Shooting

It's dangerous to want a PS3. This is not the BB gun incident, by the way.
That didn't take long.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 11:08 AM

That sh¡t eating grin implies he walks like that all the time.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 11:42 AM

Over on the IGN boards, there are about 3 people who have actually posted about playing the PS3. I think that over 90% of these are going to ebay.

This is such a weird launch. I'm really curious to see how this is all going to play out.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 11:47 AM

Notice he's carrying no games.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2006, 12:13 PM

So how long until you can walk into a store and get a PS3? Easter?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Over on the IGN boards, there are about 3 people who have actually posted about playing the PS3. I think that over 90% of these are going to ebay.

This is such a weird launch. I'm really curious to see how this is all going to play out.
The fact that it's such a weird launch is good news for people who enjoy watching how this sort of thing plays out. I'm having a ball so far.

Originally Posted by goMac
Notice he's carrying no games.
Exactly. The smile that Dakar mentioned is saying, "This baby will be on eBay in 30 minutes."

One of my classmates has already put one on eBay, and my wife said that her friend in class has two brothers who both waited in line forever and are planning on putting theirs' on eBay today.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 12:33 PM

So how long until you can walk into a store and get a PS3? Easter?
Possibly when they drop to $300, IF I'm impressed with the software at that point (which should include hundreds of titles by that time).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 12:37 PM

A 50% price reduction? I suspect that'll take at least 3 years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules