Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 147)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Even Windows XP supports the playback of HDDVD and Bluray. It's not a problem for MacOS X 10.5 to support HDDVD and Bluray.
Yes because:
• Windows is closed source.
• Microsoft licensed an HDCP key from the HDCP group.
• Microsoft added HDCP support in Windows SP2.

Three layers need to support HDCP in order for HDDVD or bluray to work. The software application, the video card, and the display. If all 3 have HDCP support then HDDVD or Bluray should play fine.
No, HDCP requires kernel support.

Problem right now is that there is no software on Mac OSX to play HDDVD or Bluray, and most video cards on the Mac are not HDCP compliant.
Any Radeon 2X00, or GeForce 7X00 series GPU will do HDCP, at the very least. My Mac Pro shipped with an HDCP card. The video card is not the problem. In fact, people with Mac's with HDCP cards and 3rd party HDCP displays like Dell displays have been playing Blurays just fine under Windows.

Actually do some research. This has been discussed at length on the Linux side of things.

HDCP Linux kernel - Google Search

MacOS X is not the problem here.
Again, do research on this. A 30 second search on Google would return that HDCP requires kernel level support.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2008, 11:06 PM

Here is a thread on AVS forum on the lack of Bluray on Mac OS X, and again, the lack of HDCP at the OS level is blamed.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980484

(In addition, they're actually more negative on HDCP being adopted, saying it would require rewrites of QuickTime and Quartz.)
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Yep, this certainly would have been the best way to do things. I'm not entirely clear on why this isn't what happened when the two camps talked about merging. It seems like it would be a win for everybody.
IIRC, Toshiba and Sony were in talks, but they fell apart when Toshiba started demanding a majority of the royalties and the BDA told them off.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Hilarious. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The technical ability to add the playback is different from what we're talking about. We're talking about problems with the design of the OS that precludes the addition of HD playback, and the fact that it can't be added without a drastic change to Apple's software philosophy.

It's a riot that you can be so confident about something you know nothing about.
No, I get what you're saying. But this is not the Linux community fretting over how to deal with this problem. This is Apple--rapidly becoming THE technology company to watch for, well, anything. My confidence is in them being able to adapt to Blu-Ray winning the format war. If they have to rework the kernel and QT, then I think that's something they're capable of doing. Their commitment to being a leader in the computer industry will outweigh the need to keep the kernel 100% open.

And there's nothing hilarious about it, stop being an ass.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 11:51 PM

No, what you're missing is that it's a political issue, not an engineering issue. Yes, there is no technical reason why Apple couldn't add a secure path to the kernel for HDCP, but there are political reasons why they can't.
The politics of open source will not trump Blu-Ray playback on future Macs.

That's my prediction.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
I never suggested it was simple. But it is necessary if Blu-ray becomes the dominant HD format that Toshiba hope for with it's format.
THAT is something I'd argue won't happen. For all that he's been wrong about, goMac is right that digital downloads are growing in importance. Blu-Ray may have won the war, but the value of the prize has diminished in value. Blu-Ray won't have the same life-span that DVD did. In fact, they'll probably both fade out around the same time...I'll give 'em 5 years before the tide turns against all storage media in favor of the net.

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
THAT is something I'd argue won't happen. For all that he's been wrong about, goMac is right that digital downloads are growing in importance. Blu-Ray may have won the war, but the value of the prize has diminished in value. Blu-Ray won't have the same life-span that DVD did. In fact, they'll probably both fade out around the same time...I'll give 'em 5 years before the tide turns against all storage media in favor of the net.
I said dominant HD format. If they are not already there then it will not be long. I think the only competition is HD pay per view, but that is typically not on demand. Although with My Direct TV HD DVR, recording pay per view is probably faster than an Apple TV given the multiple start times. I can also keep the movie a lot longer than 24hrs.

Downloads have yet to demonstrate a practical method for someone who wants purchase a movie. DVD's and now Bl-ray are much better at that.
climber

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 10:25 AM

For those interested in picking up some HD-DVDs, Hollywood Video is selling off their stock. YMMV, but most people at AVS Forum have been getting 2 for $20 or 3 for $20 with a BOGO coupon in a pamphlet in the stores. From what I understand, they don't come with the red HD-DVD cases.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
For those interested in picking up some HD-DVDs, Hollywood Video is selling off their stock. YMMV, but most people at AVS Forum have been getting 2 for $20 or 3 for $20 with a BOGO coupon in a pamphlet in the stores. From what I understand, they don't come with the red HD-DVD cases.
So these are rental discs? If so, I'm not interested. Thanks anyway for the heads up though.

In the meantime I've just ordered The Bourne Identity and Knocked Up (which I've never seen) from DVD Crave. Came to just over CAD$22 new, including shipping from Australia.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 24, 2008, 11:07 AM

I've never had problems with "pre-viewed" rental DVDs, but I am picky about them (and usually I'm interested in the ones the stores sell off because they didn't move much, which makes it easier to be picky). My problem is that there just aren't a lot of titles that a) I want and b) would be significantly better in HD format than in DVD format. For example, Amazon has two Bob Hope collections available on HD-DVD...how much better can a great B&W transfer of a 1940s film look in HD than in normal DVD? B&W transfers generally look a LOT cleaner than color transfers in everything I've ever seen (watch Casablanca some time...), so I'm figuring that there's a lot less compression when you're dealing with gray levels than with color.

What I want to find is movies that demand HD, like Spartacus, How The West was Won, and so on. I'm teetering about 2001, but the HD version doesn't have ANYTHING on it but the HD version of the movie (and maybe one trailer), and I already have a great version on DVD.

I think this sort of thing highlights my whole issue with HD-anything. Would the movies I like benefit in any way from being recorded in a HD format? I may change my attitude once I get a really big screen monitor (I actually can see plenty of artifacting in my DirecTV picture on my 32" CRT TV right now).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2008, 11:21 AM

ghporter, your DirecTV box is not an HD box if it's connected to a 32" CRT (it's an easy bet to make.)

I would be interested in knowing if you get a larger screen like a 42" LCD (sub $1000 now) and an HD DirecTV box to hear if you still see the artifacts and if you experience them on the HD channels, not just the SD content that's scaled up.

I would see Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and High Plains Drifter (which I always felt belonged as the third film rather than the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) in HD.

I'd want them with restored colors, remastered soundtrack, and a fresh film transfer to HD. A fresh film transfer to HD from a restored film can really bring out the best in a movie.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 24, 2008, 11:36 AM

No, it's very much SD. But if I can see artifacting on regular programs with an SD source displayed on an SD screen, that probably means that I'm noticing a lot more of such noise than I'm happy with.

I'm thinking strongly of changing my DirecTV package at the moment anyway. I have an obsolete programming package at the moment, and I'm thinking of at least upgrading that. HD is only a few dollars more a month, but I'm nowhere near getting an LCD monitor of any size.

The "Spaghetti Westerns" are a great example of what kinds of films would benefit from HD-those vistas, the scale of the settings, all that sort of thing. The box set I was referring to above is the Star Trek Original Series remastered Season 1. They did a great job of cleaning up the picture and sound, and it looks so much better than the original transfers do on standard DVD. Higher standards for transfers should be expected when you're dealing with an expected high definition output. Oh, and this is with COMPOSITE video from the HD-DVD player too. Today I get component cables (and an optical audio cable) and I expect it to look even better.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2008, 01:29 PM

I'm not interested in watching encrypted Blu-ray on my computer. What I am interested in is Apple adding support for Blu-ray authoring. As long as I can playback my authored discs to test for errors, I'm happy.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
The politics of open source will not trump Blu-Ray playback on future Macs.

That's my prediction.
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense...

The entire point of an HDCP key is that it's a secret. You can't really keep a secret in an open source system.

If Apple allows HDCP keys to becomes public, all of HDCP across the board becomes insecure.

So either Apple has to start close sourcing things, or the HDCP group has to be willing to let HDCP fall apart.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 03:01 PM

A key isn't source code. You can have open source encryption code and keep the key secret. Even under the restrictive GPL (which Apple's kernel isn't under even).

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
A key isn't source code. You can have open source encryption code and keep the key secret. Even under the restrictive GPL (which Apple's kernel isn't under even).
True, but open source code makes it more trivial to narrow down where the key is. If you can see the source that loads the key, it makes it easier to capture the key.

Not that I don't think the whole thing is stupid. Even under closed source systems you can usually track down the key. It's happened to PowerDVD already on the Windows side with the HD-DVD and Bluray keys. But I don't think the HDCP group wants to make it that easy.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 05:59 PM

Not that I don't think the whole thing is stupid. Even under closed source systems you can usually track down the key. It's happened to PowerDVD already on the Windows side with the HD-DVD and Bluray keys. But I don't think the HDCP group wants to make it that easy.
So is the Blu-ray key already out? Or are there lots of them?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
So is the Blu-ray key already out? Or are there lots of them?
I believe BD+ addressed the issues on the Bluray side. Regardless, the Bluray camp has ways of blacklisting leaked keys.

Blu-ray DRM defeated | The Register

Edit: It looks like they obtained the title specific keys. I think the HD-DVD attacks obtained the player keys.

Here's the story on the HD-DVD key leak.
HD-DVD key fiasco is an example of 21st century digital revolt - Download Squad

Here's further information. Looks like hackers got their hands on WinDVD's key;
First Blu-Ray/HD-DVD key revoked - Download Squad

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So these are rental discs? If so, I'm not interested. Thanks anyway for the heads up though.

In the meantime I've just ordered The Bourne Identity and Knocked Up (which I've never seen) from DVD Crave. Came to just over CAD$22 new, including shipping from Australia.
From people posting at AVS, the majority are saying the discs they are getting are in pristine condition because the HD-DVDs didn't get rented often, if at all. There is really nothing I want to pick up at the moment so I didn't go and check things out.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
ghporter, your DirecTV box is not an HD box if it's connected to a 32" CRT (it's an easy bet to make.)
Well, I have a 34" CRT that is an HDTV. Best contrast and black levels hands down out of any of my HDTVs too. (I have 4 of them total.)

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
No, it's very much SD. But if I can see artifacting on regular programs with an SD source displayed on an SD screen, that probably means that I'm noticing a lot more of such noise than I'm happy with.
Yep. Less artifacting on good quality HD. However, that means optical disc, and not broadcast HD most of the time.

From people posting at AVS, the majority are saying the discs they are getting are in pristine condition because the HD-DVDs didn't get rented often, if at all. There is really nothing I want to pick up at the moment so I didn't go and check things out.
Well, I want the box and cover too. That's worth a couple of extra bux to me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 08:54 PM

Time for...

STARMAN'S ANECDOTAL STORYTIME!

I was in BB today looking for a new receiver. I saw TWO, count them, TWO people picking up PS3's in the MAGNOLIA section. I asked both of them if they were buying them as a game machine or as a BR player. BOTH said BR player.

So, whatever, goMac. Whatever.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 10:00 PM

saw some rental HD DVD on sale at hollywood video for $10. All three bourne's were there. as was Happy feet.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 10:01 PM

hooked up the PS3. I'll have to admit it's pretty cool. very nice PQ. I rented T3 to compare to my red version. the color is a little better, but looked just as good as the red version. I'll have to pop for the Blue Tooth keyboard
45/47

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 10:05 PM

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense...

The entire point of an HDCP key is that it's a secret. You can't really keep a secret in an open source system.

If Apple allows HDCP keys to becomes public, all of HDCP across the board becomes insecure.

So either Apple has to start close sourcing things, or the HDCP group has to be willing to let HDCP fall apart.
Why is the HDCP key any different than the FairPlay key? They manage to hide that pretty well and people only get it when copying to an iPod... HDCP wouldn't have that problem.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why is the HDCP key any different than the FairPlay key? They manage to hide that pretty well and people only get it when copying to an iPod... HDCP wouldn't have that problem.
The kernel is open-source; QuickTime and iTunes aren't.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 11:20 PM

Is WinDVD, whose key was revoked, in the Windows kernel?

QuickTime and iTunes aren't open source. Who said that DVD Player had to be?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 11:45 PM

Is WinDVD, whose key was revoked, in the Windows kernel?
No, we're talking about two different keys. Bluray needs two keys to work. The HDCP key, which needs to be in the kernel, and the AACS key, which needs to be in the player program. In this case, the AACS key was the key taken from WinDVD.

The difference between the two keys was detailed in the articles.

There is not very much reason to take the HDCP key at this point. There are already a few HDCP strippers available on the market. However, that doesn't stop the HDCP group's paranoia.

QuickTime and iTunes aren't open source. Who said that DVD Player had to be?
DVD Player isn't. But again, the AACS key goes in DVD Player, the HDCP key goes into the kernel.

AACS Key = Key to decode the Bluray disc.
HDCP Key = Key to display the content

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Time for...

STARMAN'S ANECDOTAL STORYTIME!

I was in BB today looking for a new receiver. I saw TWO, count them, TWO people picking up PS3's in the MAGNOLIA section. I asked both of them if they were buying them as a game machine or as a BR player. BOTH said BR player.

So, whatever, goMac. Whatever.
You went to the Magnolia section to do your survey?

Yeah. I'm sure all the gamers go straight to the Magnolia section to pick up their PS3's, making your survey completely accurate.

I specifically said that there are people buying the PS3 as a Bluray player, but that a majority of people are buying it as a game machine. I don't know why I keep saying that though. It doesn't put a stop to your troll-tastic posts.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 12:14 AM

Uh, no. Apparently the CUSTOMERS went to the REGULAR section to buy the PS3's. I was in the Mag section because the receivers I wanted were in that section.

REGARDLESS of the existence of a Magnolia section, people were buying PS3s as BR players.

(but of course, you have to find SOME way to rag on this, don't you?)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 12:18 AM

I specifically said that there are people buying the PS3 as a Bluray player, but that a majority of people are buying it as a game machine. I don't know why I keep saying that though. It doesn't put a stop to your troll-tastic posts.
Dude, there are a lot more people watching Blu-rays than were ever watching HD-DVDs and most people that watch Blu-rays do so on a PS3 right? In fact since it's the best/cheapest Blu-ray player they'd be pretty dense not to. Connect the dots. People buy PS3's for Blu-ray. People buy PS3 for games. People even buy PS3 partially for DVD upscaling. People buy PS3 for Blu-ray, Games and DVD upscaling. Why are you so insistent that "the majority" of people are only going to ever play games on it and will not ever be using it for HD movies? It's like you are the most obsessed repetitive human on earth. You're going to look back on the period in your life and wonder why you didn't get help. Just because someone said 'Where's GoMac?' didn't really mean that we really missed you posting the same crap 8 times on every single page of this thread. You're becoming the new Kevin. Go outside.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
(but of course, you have to find SOME way to rag on this, don't you?)
No, I don't, because I don't disagree, don't have any problem with it, and don't really care.

Dude, there are a lot more people watching Blu-rays than were ever watching HD-DVDs and most people that watch Blu-rays do so on a PS3 right? In fact since it's the best/cheapest Blu-ray player they'd be pretty dense not to. Connect the dots. People buy PS3's for Blu-ray. People buy PS3 for games. People even buy PS3 partially for DVD upscaling. People buy PS3 for Blu-ray, Games and DVD upscaling. Why are you so insistent that "the majority" of people are only going to ever play games on it and will not ever be using it for HD movies? It's like you are the most obsessed repetitive human on earth. You're going to look back on the period in your life and wonder why you didn't get help. Just because someone said 'Where's GoMac?' didn't really mean that we really missed you posting the same crap 8 times on every single page of this thread. You're becoming the new Kevin. Go outside.
Uh huh.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 12:58 AM

I see how my question earlier was misguided. Why can't the HDCP key be in the video driver?

edit: Wait a minute, HDCP isn't even required for BluRay playback. And even if it was required by the ICT option (which no one has enabled yet), you could play at quarter res (960x540) without it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 01:12 AM

I see how my question earlier was misguided. Why can't the HDCP key be in the video driver?
Because the group that issues HDCP are a bunch as narcissistic bastards who won't issue keys to vendors with open source kernels?

In the end, where the key is isn't as important as how the encoding/decoding works. The HDCP group wants the encoding/decoding to have a kernel level path, and they don't want anyone seeing the source to it.

Technically, HDCP could all be done in the video driver, but that doesn't meet the requirements for getting an HDCP key.

edit: Wait a minute, HDCP isn't even required for BluRay playback. And even if it was required by the ICT option (which no one has enabled yet), you could play at quarter res (960x540) without it.
I'm not so sure about this. The Windows side players won't even run if you don't have a full HDCP path on your system. From what I'm reading BD+ definitely requires HDCP.

Edit: Specifically I'm reading that AnyDVD will work without HDCP support, but it's the only one that will work without HDCP, and it definitely won't playback BD+ content without HDCP.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 07:29 AM

Because the group that issues HDCP are a bunch as narcissistic bastards who won't issue keys to vendors with open source kernels?
Aren't all computers now open source except ones that run Windows? They just saying that they only issue licenses for Windows computers right? Oh wait, Micro$oft is HD-DVD and Apple is Blu-ray. See how little sense your story makes? Oh wait, Macs (and even Linux computers) run Window$ just as well or better than any PC. Maybe we could just boot up from Window$ and be a part of the Blu-ray consortium that way. Right? Could an external Blu-ray drive play a movie on my Mac running Windows? Or I still need a key for my screen?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 08:06 AM

CT option (which no one has enabled yet)
ICT has been enabled on some German titles.

Aren't all computers now open source except ones that run Windows? They just saying that they only issue licenses for Windows computers right? Oh wait, Micro$oft is HD-DVD and Apple is Blu-ray.
That doesn't really make sense. Commercial HD DVD and Blu-ray both were supported on Windows, and neither were supported on OS X.

See how little sense your story makes? Oh wait, Macs (and even Linux computers) run Window$ just as well or better than any PC. Maybe we could just boot up from Window$ and be a part of the Blu-ray consortium that way. Right? Could an external Blu-ray drive play a movie on my Mac running Windows? Or I still need a key for my screen?
If your video card supported HDCP and your screen supported HDCP (which means you can't be runnng an Apple Cinema Display), yes you could play a Blu-ray movie on your Mac running Windows at full resolution.

PaperNotes
Feb 25, 2008, 08:15 AM

Any ... GeForce 7X00 series GPU will do HDCP, at the very least. [/url]
In the Geforce 7 series you don't get HDCP support until the 7600. Those with 7300 in their Macs will have to upgrade.

PaperNotes
Feb 25, 2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
If your video card supported HDCP and your screen supported HDCP (which means you can't be runnng an Apple Cinema Display), yes you could play a Blu-ray movie on your Mac running Windows at full resolution.
It's not essential for the screen to support HDCP, see how Power DVD gets around it.

You and goMac should really shut up for once. Your tomfoolery on this subject has gone on long enough and all you guys do is prove that idiots use the internet to make it look like they're more intelligent than they are.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 09:55 AM

Aren't all computers now open source except ones that run Windows? They just saying that they only issue licenses for Windows computers right? Oh wait, Micro$oft is HD-DVD and Apple is Blu-ray. See how little sense your story makes? Oh wait, Macs (and even Linux computers) run Window$ just as well or better than any PC. Maybe we could just boot up from Window$ and be a part of the Blu-ray consortium that way. Right? Could an external Blu-ray drive play a movie on my Mac running Windows? Or I still need a key for my screen?
This post makes little sense. "Micro$oft" (I like how you put the $ in there, makes it seem like they're just a greedy money-grubbing corporation!) supports both HD DVD and Blu-Ray in their OS. But even though the OS supports it, you have to have the required hardware to play the videos. So if you install XP/Vista on your new Mac Pro you still wouldn't be able to play Blu-Ray discs unless you had an HDCP capable video card and display.

Apple is neither Blu-Ray nor HD DVD at the moment. Apples can read the disc structure of the new formats, but offer no playback ability.

And I believe you're right, that so far the only computer HDCP keys issued are for Windows. Although Apple must have one for the AppleTV, but that's another story (it's odd because they still support 720p over component while other HDCP devices are required to send only 480p).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
It's not essential for the screen to support HDCP, see how Power DVD gets around it.
PowerDVD doesn't get around it:
Originally Posted by Power DVD System Requirements
Display Devices
* HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compliant display for digital output
* TV or computer monitor for analog output

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2008, 09:59 AM

Apple is neither Blu-Ray nor HD DVD at the moment. Apples can read the disc structure of the new formats, but offer no playback ability.
Does this mean if some clever 3rd party programmer came along, they could provide you with a possibly illegitimate way of playing it back or ripping it?

Edit: It seems I was a minute too early... or too late.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Feb 25, 2008 at 10:07 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Does this mean if some clever 3rd party programmer came along, they could provide you with a possibly illegitimate way of playing it back or ripping it?
Not until BD+ is completely broken. If it has been (not sure, haven't been keeping up) then yes.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
saw some rental HD DVD on sale at hollywood video for $10. All three bourne's were there. as was Happy feet.
That's new information!

Uh huh.
Good retort.

For the record, I bought my PS3 for use primarily as a Blu-ray player - games are just an added bonus.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 10:22 AM

Some standard OS X components aren't open source. Apple Kexts aren't open source, right? Couldn't HDCP theoretically be in the form of a Kext?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Some standard OS X components aren't open source. Apple Kexts aren't open source, right? Couldn't HDCP theoretically be in the form of a Kext?
Maybe. The AppleTV box just might have it's HDCP stuff in a kext. Hacking is ongoing, so we'll know soon, I'd imagine.

But if standalone players are based on Linux (in some fashion), then that suggests that HDCP support has been added to the kernel and the changes not released. Couldn't Apple just not release any of the changes they make to the kernel for HDCP?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Maybe. The AppleTV box just might have it's HDCP stuff in a kext. Hacking is ongoing, so we'll know soon, I'd imagine.

But if standalone players are based on Linux (in some fashion), then that suggests that HDCP support has been added to the kernel and the changes not released. Couldn't Apple just not release any of the changes they make to the kernel for HDCP?
That is definitely a possibility, although they'd be in violation of their license. We don't know how those Linux standalone boxes were modified, so we can't assume that changes were made to the kernel itself that would require release under their licensing terms.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 11:50 AM

That is definitely a possibility, although they'd be in violation of their license. We don't know how those Linux standalone boxes were modified, so we can't assume that changes were made to the kernel itself that would require release under their licensing terms.
They haven't released the source for that kind of stuff yet, and the Linux kernel is a monolithic thing which contains everything. Apple prefers to take a modular approach, in the form of kexts, so it might be easier for them to do without violating their license, unless the HDCP people want it built right in to the main kernel... i.e. no kexts.

But, as I said before, it looks as though Apple TV might just use a kext to implement HDCP, so this may not even be an issue.

Regardless, since there is no hardware as yet available for the Mac, it's a moot point.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 11:51 AM

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2008, 01:51 PM

Futureshop Canada liquidating remaining HD DVD stock as upscaling DVD players, going Blu-ray exclusive.
CNW Group | FUTURE SHOP LTD. | Media Advisory - Future Shop Moves to Blu-ray High-Definition (HD) Products and Exits HD-DVD
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 04:14 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules