Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > HELP! Airport Hack gone horribly wrong!!!!

HELP! Airport Hack gone horribly wrong!!!!
TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2002, 12:26 PM

Ok, here's the situation:

My base station recently sucumbed to the now legendary blown power supply problem. As I have some experience in electronics, and as it was out of warranty I stripped the base station down and repaired it. While the case was off, I noticed that the case was painted on the inside. I thought it would look good if I stripped the paint off and had a transparent base station, or maybe if I got chance to paint it with a decent colour scheme. I went to my local hardware store and spoke to a guy (who appeared to know what he was talking about) he sold me some paint stripper. I put the stripper onto the bottom cover of the base station and.... it strips some paint off, and just digs deep trenches into the plastic.

The case now looks a murky silverish colour, with big trenches in. i.e. VERY UGLY!!!

As I see it these are my options:

1) Cut my lossses, and use the case as is
2) Do the entire case and say thats how it's supposed to look
3) Buy a different case and put the electronics in that
4) Paint the case from the outside.

Any other ideas? Suggentions? (Greatly Appreciated!)

PS: for anyone in the UK - never trust a Focus/Do It All employee again!
What are you looking for? A signature?

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by TomHMeredith:
<STRONG>Ok, here's the situation:

My base station recently sucumbed to the now legendary blown power supply problem. As I have some experience in electronics, and as it was out of warranty I stripped the base station down and repaired it. While the case was off, I noticed that the case was painted on the inside. I thought it would look good if I stripped the paint off and had a transparent base station, or maybe if I got chance to paint it with a decent colour scheme. I went to my local hardware store and spoke to a guy (who appeared to know what he was talking about) he sold me some paint stripper. I put the stripper onto the bottom cover of the base station and.... it strips some paint off, and just digs deep trenches into the plastic.

The case now looks a murky silverish colour, with big trenches in. i.e. VERY UGLY!!!

As I see it these are my options:

1) Cut my lossses, and use the case as is
2) Do the entire case and say thats how it's supposed to look
3) Buy a different case and put the electronics in that
4) Paint the case from the outside.

Any other ideas? Suggentions? (Greatly Appreciated!)

PS: for anyone in the UK - never trust a Focus/Do It All employee again! </STRONG>
I have an airport caseing that I would be willing to part with... e-mail me

mftalon
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2002, 01:47 AM

Don't suppose you have a G4 case you would be willing to part with also would you? hehe :-)
You have to wonder...
www.creativebush.com

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2002, 01:54 AM

If you want to strip the paint from your AirPort Base Station, use 90% isopropyl alcohol, it works great with absolutely no damage. I did the mod to my APBS and it looks awesome!

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2002, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>If you want to strip the paint from your AirPort Base Station, use 90% isopropyl alcohol, it works great with absolutely no damage. I did the mod to my APBS and it looks awesome!</STRONG>
How about a pic?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 02:48 AM

My digicam's out of service currently, but my APBS looks exactly like the pics found here. A neat looking and easy mod.

<rEdmAc>
Apr 15, 2002, 05:50 PM

well...I guess the paint stripper bits your airport base pretty bad.

If there is a thin layer of stock paint remianing on the surface...you need to use 99% alchol to remove the rest of paint( like the previous suggestion)...probably dipping the case into to alchol for an hour...

If the silverish color is caused by the paint stripper....here is a way I figure out to remove those tiny scratched on the dual iBook and i think it will probably applies to your airport base surface.
First you need to have a Dremel rotary tool, and two felt polishing wheels. Go hardware store and get a bottle of siliver polish ( better result) or brasso.
Apply some silver polish on the surface. Trun Dremel to the lowest speed with one felt wheel....let the machine leads your hand, do not try to push the wheel to hard. Once you see the silver polish is dried out, then apply a little bit more....untill you see the paint is all gone, replace a clean felt wheel and pray a little bit of furniture wax ( I use Pledge, lemon flavor....^_^)....use Dremel and do the same polish procedure again until you see a very smooh, shinny surface...do not forget to add a little more wax when the wax is dried during polishing.

Remember, be patient on the process....it takes a while to get the result , but the result will surprise you....^_^

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2002, 12:05 AM

Hmm those pics are way cool I think I should put a neon light strand into a 1.0 APBS

Forum Links
Forum Rules