Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > VPN(?maybe?) question.

VPN(?maybe?) question.
chris_h
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 10:32 PM

Hola senors y senoritas.

Here's what I got:

An imac running OSX, sitting next to a PC running Windows 98.

Currently I have two keyboards and two mice on my desk. The Pc and Mac go through a router, which is also hooked up to a cable modem. So each computer has its own internal IP address, so I can FTP back and forth, etc.

What I'd like to do is be able to get rid of the PCs monitor/keyboard/mouse by having some sort of VPN setup to run the PCs display in a window on the mac.

I'm a total VPN idiot, and have yet to find any good information on it... or at least any easy to understand info.

Anyone know what to do and what apps to use?

mftalon
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2002, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
<STRONG>Hola senors y senoritas.

Here's what I got:

An imac running OSX, sitting next to a PC running Windows 98.

Currently I have two keyboards and two mice on my desk. The Pc and Mac go through a router, which is also hooked up to a cable modem. So each computer has its own internal IP address, so I can FTP back and forth, etc.

What I'd like to do is be able to get rid of the PCs monitor/keyboard/mouse by having some sort of VPN setup to run the PCs display in a window on the mac.

I'm a total VPN idiot, and have yet to find any good information on it... or at least any easy to understand info.

Anyone know what to do and what apps to use?</STRONG>
I think you may be referring to VNC. Do a search for it on Versiontracker.com and you will find several servers/clients. I've tried some but it's pretty slow compared to something like Timbukto, although VNC is FREE!

Hope this helps...
You have to wonder...
www.creativebush.com

Camelot
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 02:11 AM

The alternative to VNC and Timbuktu (my recommendation) would be a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch - these let you connect one monitor keyboard and mouse into a central box and run separate cables to each computer for the video and keyboard/mouse. Buttons on the switch let you control which computer you want to control at any time.

KVM's range from the simple (2 device) box up to sophisticated systems that can control 256 servers from as many as 16 monitors - meaning that 16 users can simultaneously control any one of the attached 256 computers (clearly overkill in your case, but it's possible, none the less )

Make sure that if you do go this route you get a KVM that supports the right combination of interfaces on your computers - your iMac uses USB keyboard and mouse so if your PC can use USB peripherals this'll be the easiest solution, otherwise you'll need a PS/2 and USB-capable switch.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules