Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb: open ALL links in new tabs, willya?

OmniWeb: open ALL links in new tabs, willya?
hoopz
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 02:29 AM

I love OmniWeb's implementation of tabs. I just wish I could control their behavior more rigorously.

I have all the relevant preferences set so that as many things as possible open in new tabs. Yet still, from time to time, things open in new windows (most notably, URLs invoked from MaxMenus, plus certain links--next time I run across one I'll post it, if this thread doesn't wither and die). Nor does there seem to be a preference to never replace the content of the current tab.

Here is how I wish I could set OmniTabs to work.

1. Never spawn a new window (except obviously if no window is currently open).

2. With one exception, open all links in new tabs. Contents of the current tab should never be replaced . . .

3. Except when a site is selected from the bookmarks or favorites menu.

Is it possible to achieve this with the current version of OmniWeb (maybe with some undocumented plist alterations)? Does anybody else think this sounds like a good way to browse?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 06:02 PM

whatever floats your boat but I got one to add for ya. "Open URL in OW" service always spawns a new window.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by hoopz:
2. With one exception, open all links in new tabs. Contents of the current tab should never be replaced . . .
Never? So if I click on the Reply button in MacNN then I get a new tab with the reply pane? When browsing forums I'd end up with thousands of tabs!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 07:28 AM

Speaking of tab stuff, I think it would be great if when holding down Command and clicking form elements (buttons, popup menus, etc.) that opened new windows, they would open in new tabs instead. This is really just an extension of how things work now when clicking regular links. I submitted this feature request to OmniGroup. You should submit your tab feature requests as well.
Genius. You know who.

hoopz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
Never? So if I click on the Reply button in MacNN then I get a new tab with the reply pane? When browsing forums I'd end up with thousands of tabs!

Amorya
Yeah, it sounds a bit weird.

The thing is, I have a multi-button mouse, and the far right button sends a keystroke of command-w, which in OmniWeb will close the current tab. So while it's true that reading and replying to a thread would spawn three tabs (thread, reply pane, and "you will now be taken to your post"), it would be easy, and probably faster, to click the far right mouse button three times than to reload the parent page from which I originally selected the thread.

I'm sure most people wouldn't want to work this way, but I wish it could be an option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules