Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Master/Slave HD jumper settings important?

Master/Slave HD jumper settings important?
sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 01:05 PM

G4 Sawtooth, 10.2.8

I have just used CCC to create a boot drive on a new(er) HD than came with my system. All is well, but in checking things out, I noted that the old drive is set to "Master" on the bus and the boot drive (now) is set to "Slave". Will I take a performance hit by continuing with the settings this way? I will likely use the older drive for misc storage, so it will continue to be on the bus...if I don't have to mess with jumpers, all the better :-)

thanks for any opinions/ideas.

sailor

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2005, 03:12 PM

Macs don't care if the boot drive is Master or Slave. There is no performance hit.

hoopz
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 06:54 PM

There is one tiny little hitch involved here, which most people will not ever encounter but I ran up against it recently.

I had put a new bigger hard drive in my aging G4/400 in addition to its undersized-by-modern-standards 10 gig drive. The system and all important files went on the new drive, which was the slave.

Recently I got a new G5, and wanted to get some things off the old computer, so I hooked it up via Firewire to the G5 and booted it in Firewire Target Mode (for those not in the know, you do this by starting up while holding the T key and it allows you to mount the target computer's drive on the host computer).

Unfortunately, this apparently only mounts the master drive, not the slave, so I was out of luck there.

So. Probably not a particularly common scenario, but maybe worth a thought if you think you may someday need to use Firewire Target Mode--which is a pretty nifty technology if you ask me.

sailor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 07:22 PM

thanks....that's the answer I wanted to hear. :-) And, a good tip for FW users.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 12:13 AM

I have no idea where the line was drawn, but on the newer machines, all connected devices are mounted in target disk mode. I know this works on G5s and at least some eMacs. I'm not sure when it was added.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules