Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Will Mail 1.3 Refuse to Run on Tiger?

Will Mail 1.3 Refuse to Run on Tiger?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 05:41 PM

Hypothetically speaking, if I find Mail 2.0 to be unusable in its current state of UI distress, could Mail 1.3 possibly run on Tiger? My guess is no but has anyone made an attempt?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 05:51 PM

I didn't try, but it will probably run. Usually applications don't break due to an OS update and I don't see why Mail should. It's not a very special or complicated app.

Once Mail 2.0 did it's mailbox conversion stuff, I wouldn't dare running Mail 1.3 any more though.

Mail 2.0 is great.

hoopz
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 11:30 PM

Sorry, I have no answer to your question, but the appearance of Mail 2.0 can be altered. See this thread, especially aaroncs's post about three-quarter down. You can get Tiger Mail's toolbar to strongly resemble Panther mail, though with some limitations in customizing the toolbar.

I don't know anything about changing the blue field where the mailboxes live or how to get it to be on the right, though.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2005, 04:25 AM

Thank you for the replies. I have been following the Mail 2.0 threads and am aware of the various ways to hack the interface. The fact that there is so much interest and support for these hacks should serve as a wake up call to Apple to reverse itself in this regard. Between the bizarre interface modification and the pseudo-importation of 1.3's mail, Mail 2.0 is doing its best to deter me from installation of Tiger on my DP 2.0.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

dru
Senior User
May 5, 2005, 05:07 AM

I'll try 1.3 Mail out when Tigger arrives today since I'm keeping Panther on one HD and Tiger is getting a fresh install on another.

Since I've done this sort of testing with Panther/Jaguar, sometimes things do refuse to work (i.e. using older copies of the Finder) but other things work fine like the old Chess & Calculator from Jaguar (or 10.1?).
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Hypothetically speaking, if I find Mail 2.0 to be unusable in its current state of UI distress, could Mail 1.3 possibly run on Tiger? My guess is no but has anyone made an attempt?
Just tried, it closes almost immediately after launch (no dialog), so the answer seems to be no.

I hardly find 2.0 to be "unusable." The feature set is much greater and it's noticeably faster, but I'll agree the toolbar icons take some getting used to.

dru
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 04:53 AM

Let me confirm CatOne's experience. Mail 1.3 opens and closes immediately with no error dialog.

Also, the old Jaguar Chess paints the pieces entirely black now if run on Tiger.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Forum Links
Forum Rules