Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 120gb drive on powermac.....

120gb drive on powermac.....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2005, 06:05 AM

[tried to edit post title - new title not showing up]

hi

I was wondering if anybody here could help determine what quitting applications, errors when trying to write to dvd-rws, and mouse freezes could point to?

the machine is a powermac g3 (blue&white) orignally 300mhz that has been upgraded to a g4 450mhz (from yikes model apparently) - it has a pioneer dvd-rw drive that plays dvds with no problems

I am running Mac OSX10.3

the main part I'm concerned with is the dvd-rw not writing - could this be down to a hardware issue?

any ideas?

rich
( Last edited by rich82fox; Jul 30, 2005 at 06:44 AM. )
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2005, 08:04 AM

Quitting apps and freezing mouse both point towards software issues, as in corrupted preferences or outdated drivers...easy fixes

Errors writing to DVD could be either software or hardware related, but since the drive will PLAY dvd's ok, I would look at:

A) amount of free space available on the boot drive, and
B) Try different brands of disks, and
C) Amount of physical ram installed

With a 20 gig HD and the average install of OS, apps, utilities ect, you are probably getting a little tight on space......

I would also recommend updating to 10.4, which has even better support and improved frameworks for disk burning
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

hoopz
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2005, 10:42 PM

Quitting apps can be caused by missing or corrupted fonts. Have you added or removed any recently?

Forum Links
Forum Rules