Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Elgato EyeTV 2 - anyone bought it yet?

Elgato EyeTV 2 - anyone bought it yet?
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 03:31 PM

Just noticed this is out but you have to pay for it. 49 Euros at the moment, going up to 70 Euros later. I love the whole EyeTV system but this will be the first time a software upgrade is being charged for and I'd like to see some comments on it first ideally before splashing the cash!

Any comments appreciated.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

AiMurray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 03:56 PM

I'm a little disappointed with Elgato right now. I understand their side - Apple can charge for every update why not someone else. I am just frustrated after forking over $200 some dollars for the Eye Tv I need to pony up another $40/50 for a software upgrade. More then I wanted to pay for a mere novelty item - at least for me. I think the system and the interface is good yet I have never been able to get the video quality that I expected - convenient yes - good yes – worth another $40/50 no.

petrol
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 04:53 PM

I'm also really dissapointed in El Gato charging for an update like this. Apple charging for an OS upgrade is one thing, but $80 for an update to EyeTV is most of the way to paying for an OS upgrade already.

I've never been happy with the the interface of the older versions of Eye TV. For me it was the only biggest downside to my EyeTV / EyeHome system. Version 2.0 offers a lot of the changes I would have suggested, but I almost feel like the previous versions were so barely usable that they should just give out 2.0 for free, like Apple did with OS X 10.1.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 06:50 PM

i also agree, the old version was fugly to say the least [ok .. maybe it's not as bad as google earth ] ..... but $50 for a software upgrade? doesn't make sense to me. We're already paying significiantly for their hardware

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 12:00 AM

Personally I've always been very satsified with the EyeTV software/updates (used with my EyeTV200 and TitanTV). The only feature I've been hoping for was the ability to set a different recording quality for each schedule. Example, schedule the evening news at low qualiy while scheduling a favorite show at high quality. Has this feature been added to EyeTV2.0 software?

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe
Personally I've always been very satsified with the EyeTV software/updates (used with my EyeTV200 and TitanTV). The only feature I've been hoping for was the ability to set a different recording quality for each schedule. Example, schedule the evening news at low qualiy while scheduling a favorite show at high quality. Has this feature been added to EyeTV2.0 software?
Not sure to be honest as I use EyeTv410 where evertything is stored at the same quality.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 06:29 AM

I upgraded, but for the first time, I encountered stability problems. The app would sometimes crash while recording. I'm using the previous version now and it seems to be fine.

I'll see if deleting prefs etc. helps and will try 2.0 again this weekend.

This a 410 box on a G5 iMac running 10.4.3 with pretty much nothing exotic. (no haxies etc.)

J

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 06:56 AM

This is what worries me, that it might take a while for bugs to be ironed out, by which time they've put the price up to a crazy 79 Euros.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 06:40 PM

Here's some new info on their FAQ section:

[EyeTV 2] Will I have to pay for EyeTV software updates from now on?

Minor updates and bug fixes will continue to be free, and there will be a charge for major software upgrades. For example, EyeTV 2 is the first major release since EyeTV 1.0 in 2002, and in the interim, there have been over two dozen free updates all the way to version 1.8.4.

We will continue to support version 1.8.4, but to enjoy the full experience and potential of your EyeTV, you really do need to upgrade to EyeTV 2. We know you’ll be very pleased with your purchase. Upgrade before March 1, 2005 and you will receive a discount of $30 off the regular price of $79 for the software.

EyeTV 2 software is included with any new purchase of Elgato and 3rd party hardware products. If you purchased an EyeTV since December 1, 2005 you are entitled to a free upgrade (see http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...etvmain_coupon) using the proof-of-purchase code that was enclosed in the box.

We’ve worked hard to bring you the features you asked for, and we will continue to build on the foundation set by EyeTV 2. Please send us your comments and suggestions to http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_feedback , and we will do our best to include them in future versions.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 06:40 PM

Here's some new info on their FAQ section:

[EyeTV 2] Will I have to pay for EyeTV software updates from now on?

Minor updates and bug fixes will continue to be free, and there will be a charge for major software upgrades. For example, EyeTV 2 is the first major release since EyeTV 1.0 in 2002, and in the interim, there have been over two dozen free updates all the way to version 1.8.4.

We will continue to support version 1.8.4, but to enjoy the full experience and potential of your EyeTV, you really do need to upgrade to EyeTV 2. We know you’ll be very pleased with your purchase. Upgrade before March 1, 2005 and you will receive a discount of $30 off the regular price of $79 for the software.

EyeTV 2 software is included with any new purchase of Elgato and 3rd party hardware products. If you purchased an EyeTV since December 1, 2005 you are entitled to a free upgrade (see http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...etvmain_coupon) using the proof-of-purchase code that was enclosed in the box.

We’ve worked hard to bring you the features you asked for, and we will continue to build on the foundation set by EyeTV 2. Please send us your comments and suggestions to http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_feedback , and we will do our best to include them in future versions.

hoopz
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 01:33 PM

I bought it. Since as noted above, the software has been updated regularly and freely for years (and I've been using it almost since its inception), I didn't feel too put out about it.

The only thing that is an unqualified improvement for me is the integrated TV scheduling. It's very well done and fast at searching. I didn't really have a problem using a browser to do this before (actually my preference was to use the late lamented Watson, but that's neither here nor there); nevertheless, not having to use TitanTV's slow and ugly Web interface has turned out to be very nice.

Other than that, I personally find it underwhelming cosmetically. The new icon is not to my liking, the new onscreen remote seems very wasteful of screen real estate and the brushed iTunes style interface actually seems like a step backwards. Under the old interface, scheduled and recorded programs were always visible: now you only see one or the other depending on the playlist you select. Also, the toolbar does not seem to be customizable. It has icons for iPod and Toast; I need neither of those but would like a delete button--sorry, no Customize Toolbar.

But my main gripe is that there is still no support for a USB IR blaster to change channels on a cable box. They've promised this in their online FAQ for years, there are at least two such devices out there that have Mac drivers, the functionality of EyeTV would be considerably enhanced; I really wish they'd buckle down and deliver this (though iEye Captain looks promising in this regard). I'd also like to see the ability to watch videos from the iTunes music store in EyeTV. These two features alone would make the upgrade fee considerably more palatable.

So, all in all, a mixed bag. I'm not sorry I upgraded, but I hope they will consider adding more functionality before charging again.

joe, in answer to your question, EyeTV 2.0 does not currently seem to have the ability to set recording quality on a per-recording basis.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 02:17 PM

Hmmm. I don't know what to do. None of the new features appeal, and the interface looks like a step backward. I think I may just carry on with 1.8.4 and hope that future OS updates don't break it.

hoopz
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2006, 02:10 AM

With further experience, I feel compelled to report that EyeTV 2.0 beachballs with alarming regularity on my recent 12" iBook (paired with the EyeTV 200). Many force quits have ensued; I'm hoping for a 2.01 release soon!

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 03:01 AM

Well that's decided then, I'm keeping my cash! Very disappointed in what I've read so far. They could have at least released a beta of 2.0 for wider testing.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 04:20 PM

I asked Elgato about updates to 1.8.4 and this is their reply:

"If EyeTV 1.8.4 has a gross problem - something that is supposed to work, that doesn't - then there may be an update to it.

Otherwise, EyeTV 2 is the new foundation for EyeTV. New features will be added to EyeTV 2, as free updates for EyeTV 2 users.

Nick Freeman
Customer Support"

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 08:02 AM

I bought it, and I'm very happy with it. The built in scheduling is a huge improvement, and the one click export to iPod is great. Really, these people have put a lot of work into writing this software, and that doesn't come cheap. I have no problems paying for something if I want it. If you do, then just carry on using the old version of the software.

I really don't understand how we've got trapped into this mentality of getting free software updates. Programmers are expensive, because they are highly skilled, and in order to pay them the software has to be sold instead of given away for free.

What would you rather have - the option to buy new, upgraded software; or nothing at all ?

Check out my
blog post
about how to integrate EyeTV with an iPod video

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 09:42 AM

My main problem is that a lot of the new features aren't needed or wanted by a lot of people. I don't mind paying for upgrades, but Elgato are charging a lot for this upgrade, and I feel they should have 2 versions, a standard one and a 'deluxe' version with all the features in.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 07:00 PM

I bought it, mostly for the integrated TV schedule. However, like many people, I use the EyeTV in conjunction with a cable box (AND WHERE, EL GATO, IS THE IR BLASTER YOU HAVE PROMISED?!), and I was dismayed to see that the software grabs the listings that it knows you have access to (i.e. based on the hardware profile, not your settings on the web site). Nick at el Gato says that they're working to address this.

All in all, I like it.
( Last edited by midwinter; Jan 19, 2006 at 07:13 PM. )

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 11:38 AM

They also told me ages ago that my suggestion that the dock icon pulses or animates in some way when the device is recording. I have in the past put my Mac to sleep while it was recording, at least with a pulsing icon it would be more obvious the unit is busy.

Having looked at comments on versiontracker I'm not buying this upgrade, it has nothing I need and you can't even download a demo version. I'd been ultra-impressed with Elgato up until now, this is very disappointing all round.

chse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2006, 06:40 PM

49 bucks!!! (or even 79 later). I AM NOT PLEASED!!! and what are the fantastic new option except for a new look? Nearly nothing I can not do already (ok, automatic convertion to ipod format thats it)- do they finally offer a real full screen mode (which fills the whole screen on an apple)--> it does not look like it (see here:http://elgato.com/index.php?file=pro...vmain_improved) Is it universal binary??? - No word of that... but they can charge us another 49$ for that than. BOYCOTT EYETV 2.0!!!!!!

pquinney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 05:28 PM

The biggest thing that Elgato have to offer with Version 2 is that it will become a universal binary and therefore run natively on Intel. I bought my EyeTV for my PowerBook originally but want to buy a new iMac and run EyeTV on that instead; and to get the best out of it I'll need EyeTV 2.

I think the $49 is a little steep, espescially when its nearer to $59 in the European store. Given that I payed £90 for my EyeTV DTT £33 is a rather steep "upgrade" price!

Phil.

hab
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 06:09 PM

I bought my EyeTV 200 almost 2 years ago and have been the recipient of more free software updates from ElGato than I can count - all of which have dramatically improved my satisfaction with the product. I am not at all distressed that they have finally charged for an update. Probably it would have been better from a marketing standpoint to have charged less money for the past incremental updates. Nonetheless, the new software appears to be a significant improvement. I am not at all distressed that they have finally charged for a major update. That is consistent with the current business model in the industry. If anything, I think ElGato has been much better than most companies.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

bsk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 09:04 PM

I bought it & am less than impressed with paying €49 for a very, very buggy bit of software.

On the plus side, it's good have the new look, the EPG as part of the software, and other cosmetic modifications.

On the minus side, not only does it crash, it brings the whole of OSX to its knees, I'm not sure that this is a real improvement.

I've never had a problem with any of Elgatos's software before, so I would say, do not buy this until a stable version is released.

(using OSX 10.4.4 on a G5 1.8Mhz DP)

jmault
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2006, 01:01 AM

I have a question about this Elgato TV thing. I have heard some about it. Does it turn your computer into a TV basically? Does it have a tuner so you can watch live TV? I was thinking about buying it because I would love to lay in bed and watch TV on my mac. Please let me know some of the specifics about this hardware.
Thanks

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by jmault
I have a question about this Elgato TV thing. I have heard some about it. Does it turn your computer into a TV basically? Does it have a tuner so you can watch live TV? I was thinking about buying it because I would love to lay in bed and watch TV on my mac. Please let me know some of the specifics about this hardware.
Thanks
It let's you watch and record TV. The recordings can be exported to various file formats.

You'll need a different model for terrestial (antenna), cable or satellite use, hence the broad selection.

Learn more at http://www.elgato.com/

And yes, it comes with a remote

J

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by bsk
I bought it & am less than impressed with paying €49 for a very, very buggy bit of software.

On the plus side, it's good have the new look, the EPG as part of the software, and other cosmetic modifications.

On the minus side, not only does it crash, it brings the whole of OSX to its knees, I'm not sure that this is a real improvement.

I've never had a problem with any of Elgatos's software before, so I would say, do not buy this until a stable version is released.

(using OSX 10.4.4 on a G5 1.8Mhz DP)
Funny, because I have the same setup as you, and EyeTV runs permanently, and I have never had a problem with it beachballing, let alone crashing the whole system. Are you sure you haven't got a problem with some other piece of software ?

chse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by hab
Nonetheless, the new software appears to be a significant improvement. I am not at all distressed that they have finally charged for a major update. That is consistent with the current business model in the industry. If anything, I think ElGato has been much better than most companies.
Hmm.. can you specify this please, what is the major improvement you are talking about (do you have the software already?). Also, 49$ for an update for a hardware which costs 200-300$ is just over the top!

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by chse
Hmm.. can you specify this please, what is the major improvement you are talking about (do you have the software already?). Also, 49$ for an update for a hardware which costs 200-300$ is just over the top!
Good question, I think for most users there is nothing worth paying for. I really think they've screwed themselves by charging so much, and to think it's going to go up to $79 soon!

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 05:02 PM

Correct. For *most* users this isn't that big of a deal. But I like the added features.

bsk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Funny, because I have the same setup as you, and EyeTV runs permanently, and I have never had a problem with it beachballing, let alone crashing the whole system. Are you sure you haven't got a problem with some other piece of software ?
Hi Gee4orce

Well I can't say, I suppose, that it is entirely down to EyeTV, but what I can say is;
- EyeTV is the only major bit of software I've loaded since the crashes began
- the crashes always occur when I'm doing something in EyeTV
- the crashes never occur when EyeTV is closed

If have any suggestions how to prove/solve it one way or the other, feel free to say as I'd love to sort it out.

dbourne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by midwinter
I bought it, mostly for the integrated TV schedule. However, like many people, I use the EyeTV in conjunction with a cable box (AND WHERE, EL GATO, IS THE IR BLASTER YOU HAVE PROMISED?!), and I was dismayed to see that the software grabs the listings that it knows you have access to (i.e. based on the hardware profile, not your settings on the web site). Nick at el Gato says that they're working to address this.

All in all, I like it.
I have the same problem. The cable box outputs on Channel 3 and that's all I see in the Program Guide with auto tune. Nick says they are working on it. Seems that everyone subscribed to 'premium' channels would have the same problem.

IR Blaster? To control the cable box? That would be nice...

The one button iPod export is nice, I would like a button for H.264 export but that is so slow...I'm not sure I'd use it.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 05:23 AM

Anyone got any more comments on this now it's been out for a while? I still can't decide whether to buy it or not.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2006, 06:40 PM

Well I did buy it. I like it because the program guide is fully integrated and works so much better for me now. Plus some of the prefs in it are definitely a major improvement for me. At least on my iMac I've seen no crashes in continuous use and I've been quite happy with it. I do think its an overpriced upgrade, however.

jmault
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 06:44 PM

What kind of TV does it enable you to watch then if you can watch antena, cable, or satellite TV?

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006, 04:29 AM

Elgato have now stated that March 31st is when the 'cheap' upgrade to EyeTV 2 ends. They've also posted a rather sorry list of 'reasons to upgrade', which contains one feature I would like. Looks like I have no choice though so will upgrade soon.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...vmain_improved

midwinter
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 10:30 AM

Why do you have no choice?

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by midwinter
Why do you have no choice?
Because at some point an OS update or something else is bound to break version 1.8.5, and I'd rather spend $49 than $79. I don't mind paying something but the cost is absurd at $49, and at $79 it's daylight robbery. They also promised me and others plenty of other features that still aren't in version 2 as well. I suggested to them an animated dock icon for when it's recording to help prevent people sleeping their Macs while it was recording and they promised it would be added about a year ago. Has it happened? No. How many minutes of coding time would it take? A few.

Maddhatter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 05:18 PM

Hello all,

My first post! I've been an EyeTV user for a lil' bit less than a year and like the app. I just recently bought the upgrade and have been using it regularly for about a month. It's basically doin' what it's supposed to do. :o) However, one question I do have is regarding the exporting of clips/recordings. Anyone have any video quality issues? I have had success in the past, but recently my exported files (regardless of codec used...mpeg4, H.264, etc.) contain horizontal lines trailing from the edges of moving people/objects. The picture actually looks pretty good if it were not for this anomaly that happens oh, every few frames or so. I've tried different bit rates, "fast" encode, multi-pass, different keyframe values. Basically, any parameter I have access to "tweak" when exporting I've tried, without any success. Anyone have any suggestions? If there's any other info I can provide or you'd like I be more specific about the problem, please let me know. Pardon me if this posting is in the wrong area. This is just the longest thread I've seen discussing EyeTV and thought it appropriate to ask my question here. Thanks for any advice in advance.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006, 06:18 PM

Spooky that my thread comes back to life on the day I finally coughed up the cash and bought version 2. So far it seems OK, it all seems to work as it should. But I still feel the same, I've bought a new interface and there's little to make me think it was worth £33. Ah well, that's life I guess.

TiDual
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 04:52 AM

It almost makes more sense to just by the Miglia TVmicro, for $100, and get eveTV 2 for free with it. It's like getting a small USB tuner for $20!

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2006, 08:24 AM

I know, ElGato's pricing is looking ridiculous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules