Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 83)
andi*pandi
Oct 21, 2013, 05:06 PM

another vote for village near spawn. I like varied terrain but will go with the flat if it means horses are more likely to be found.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 22, 2013, 08:43 AM

OK, so we have (in some form of order)

flat
village
horses nearby

I think I can make something happen later today (or this evening)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2013, 02:43 PM

I'm not sure what is going on but I've been de-synced from the server since last night. I was getting some block-reappearing going on beforehand too.

Tinker's Construct seems to be at the heart of it for me.

Edit: I only have one real request for the spawn biome....not snowy please.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 22, 2013, 03:10 PM

I'll check the logs to see what happened, but honestly I plan on doing the 'go-live' tonight anyways, so I'm just looking for 'why' it happened in case we need to adjust something.

no snow. got it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2013, 03:16 PM

Yeah don't worry about what's happening now, just for future reference in case Tinker's gets a little wonky again.

Just to be sure I'm going to trash everything related to the Technic Launcher and start fresh.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 22, 2013, 03:26 PM

tell you what: I'll go one better. I'll setup a new launcher pack in Technic when I setup the go-live, that way it's fresh and clean for everyone (and gets rid of the 0.90 in the name) May tweak the technic graphics while I'm at it. This should all happen tonight.

As for the 'location', I think I have a winner. Found a map that we start near a desert that has an oil field in it. There's a village close-by as well. The terrain is acceptable, and horses are close by.

Now for a word about portals. This pack has 'colorful portals' installed. basically, you make a portal using colored wool. Splash it with a bucket of 'fancy color water' and viola! portal! Now, build a second portal of the same color and the two link. Pretty simple. Now build a third of the same color... and all three link in a daisy-chain fashion (first portal is A, second is B, third is C and you go A to B to C to A to B etc). Nowhere near as cool as dim doors, but it lets us link places together.

That in mind, I hereby decree that white wool portals are for 'exploring'. Meaning, we'll have a white portal at spawn, home base, and anywhere else anyone wants one (making a long 'chain') for exploring. This way people can carry some 'magic water' and some wool and go jaunting anywhere, then drop a portal somewhere cool to 'get home'. Head home, get a set of colored blocks, and return to make a permanent portal. You can then kill the white portal, reducing the exploring chain to a manageable number again.

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 22, 2013, 04:08 PM

and.... CRAP.

It looks like the colorful portals mod may be causing the error. I'll test when I get home, but if that is the case it means we'll have no 'easy' way to teleport between areas. Uncool.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 22, 2013, 10:14 PM

ALRIGHT!
Polyphemus 1.0 is out. New link to add to the technic launcher!

Reminder:
Head on over to Technic Launcher - Technic Platform and download the launcher if you don't already have it.
Next, from the launcher select the "Add New Pack" option and copy this in: http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/polyphemus-10

The server can still be found at : cycl0pse.dyndns.org:25590

link to modpack details. pack is labeled private
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/d.../polyphemus-10
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Oct 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added link)

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 23, 2013, 09:47 AM

So SEK logged in last night while I was setting up a spawn safe house for everyone and things seemed to be working fine. One issue I need to look at is Project Zulu generates their own horses, but compared to vanilla they suck. So if I disable them (once I figure THAT out) will the vanilla ones stay around?

always something, right?

SEK, how things go last night?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2013, 02:51 PM

It went well to say the least.

While doing a little mining in a cave about 50m away from spawn I found a vanilla dungeon. Zombie spawner with two chests and one of those chests had......a potato portal gun....yeah.

Then I set out to explore the Oil Field you were telling me about.

I set up shop underground between the two bigger geysers, made a basic smeltery and did a little mining for diamond and various other ores before I went to bed. Mining down I was able to locate both geyser's main underground chambers and, uh, wow...I don't think I am going to need to be frugal with fuel.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 23, 2013, 03:34 PM

I vote we clear out one of those towers and use the rubble as a giant tank farm for refined oil and ore processing. Once we have the moxy to beat up the golem, of course.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 24, 2013, 12:02 PM

so Sek found a slight issue: no easy way to produce steel. I did the research and found the MOD Hexxit used to let you 'bake' steel and added it (the other option was RailCraft, and I'd rather not deal with the block ID headache). So we're on v1.1 now. The pack should update automatically.

the added modpack is Artifice-1.1.3-195.jar

I made one other tweak. Project Zulu has their own horses and, being polite, they are useless. So I've removed them. Any horses you find will be vanilla horses. Coincidentally, I found some and dropped a color portal near them.

sek, have you used the new color portals yet?

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2013, 12:48 PM

yay vanilla horses.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2013, 01:02 PM

Tinkers Constructs adds steel but its supposed to be difficult to get by melting down chain mail. That's why it performs like manylium.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Tinkers Constructs adds steel but its supposed to be difficult to get by melting down chain mail. That's why it performs like manylium.
I was confused with that because NEI showed molten manyllium being poured into a steel ingot, which made no sense to me. I suppose steel is a bit easy to come by just smelting it, but oh well.

I have yet to play with the portals but I will soon to link spawn to the emerging workshop. One thing I have noticed is a complete lack of redstone, which is something usually found in abundance at my favorite mining level (y12). I have only found 2 redstone dust and it was in a dungeon chest.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 24, 2013, 02:34 PM

lets talk about ores, shall we?

By using custom ore generation, we can tweak how vanilla ores spawn in the word. Below is how the configuration file is setup currently. Let me break it down for you:
- Ores spawn twice as frequent, and each chunk is 50% larger than typical. I may have to tweak this later.
-Coal and Iron spawn as normal, just larger groups (as stated above)
-Redstone, diamonds, and emeralds spawn in layered veins. What this means is when you find a vein, follow it for max ores. veins tend to go down at an angle
- redstone is mainly found under "desert" biomes
- emerald is mainly found under 'extreme' biomes (extreme hills, etc)
- Lapis spawns under oceans in giant clouds. Once you find some, you'll find A LOT.

(details here Standard Config (Minecraft Ores) - COG Docs )

So to talk about redstone specifically... head South of the spawn hut and look for a set of stairs going down to a patented 'cycl0pse tunnel". I hit a giant redstone vein in the tunnel... about 3 stacks in the chest. (break through the dirt wall to find the chest: I kept having zombies show up uninvited while digging)

with the configurable ore generation, once a motherload is found we can drop a quarry and let the magic happen. Of course, we need a warehouse first ... and a sorter of some kind... dear lord, starting from scratch is exhilarating.

Code:
#Custom Ore Generation: First Revival 1.0.6 Config Options #Sat Oct 19 21:02:27 EDT 2013 oreFreq=2.0 oreSize=1.5 debugMode=false coalDist=vanillaStdGen ironDist=vanillaStdGen goldDist=layeredVeins redstoneDist=layeredVeins diamondDist=layeredVeins lapisDist=strategicClouds emeraldDist=layeredVeins

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 24, 2013, 03:01 PM

As for steel... part of me wants to keep the difficulty up and not let us simply 'bake' steel. Another part of me remembers how much of a pain it is getting steel from a Railcraft blast furnace. I also don't like Tinkers simple "melt chainmaille" approach.

Any thoughts on a middle ground?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 04:20 PM

Any way to up the amount of coal required to smelt each ingot? If one steel took, say, and entire chunk of coal that would even things out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 04:25 PM

As for ore generation the big vein thing is interesting. I hit a Gold one last night with a stack and a half of ore, and found another sizable Emerald vein (40+). The other gems (sapphire, ruby) spawn waaaaay to frequently, I'm actually digging around them now. Everything else seems to be well-balanced.

The workshop made a big leap forward today. I am refining fuel and have the basic groundwork laid to start producing power for the AE system. The system I have envisioned will be a hybrid of barrels also connected to the AE network. I was working to get roof on the main workshop area when my client crashed, now it keep crashing on login, any ideas?

Edit: Placing a scaffolding was what caused the crash for me if that helps.

Editx2: I deleted and reinstalled the modpack, still crashing on login, bummer.
( Last edited by sek929; Oct 24, 2013 at 05:58 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 24, 2013, 07:05 PM

hmmm.... doing the same thing for me. may have to disable scaffolding. let me look into it...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2013, 08:02 PM

Its probably an id conflict, the scaffolding is turning into something bad

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 24, 2013, 08:13 PM

I double checked the IDs and it's not conflicting. trying to find the blocks in an editor to whack them.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 24, 2013, 08:56 PM

back up. deleted scaffolding. Sek, let me know if you can't log in... I may have to delete stuff from your player file.
NEI still shows scaffold, but they are disabled.
in fact, all of artifice is disabled except steel

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2013, 01:22 PM

Everything is working fine now, thanks!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2013, 11:11 PM

I was wandering through Seks basement pointing the Thaumonometer at everything. It doesnt like something. It crashes immediately. Maybe you could TP me away? It was panning left to right towards the quartz grinder. Maybe breakign down anything non-vanilla along that wall?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 28, 2013, 08:39 AM

I didn't want to zap anything unusual, so I moved you to a safe location in his house. 578, 74, 406

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2013, 03:36 PM

Did you set taint spread to off in the Thaumcraft config?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2013, 04:19 PM

So I haven't been on for a few days but last I left off I thought I had everything ready to go (practically) with powering the AE network. Everything I've read from the wiki states 3 Combustion engines can be cooled with one water pump operating on at least 3 redstone engines. I have tried every conceivable arrangement to deliver the water evenly into the engines but no matter what I try once the engines reach full heat the water dries up and will only fill one or two engines while the others go dry. The only option at this point is to add another water source, but if that does work then we will actually have quite a bit of extra power and fuel to go around (6 combustion engines worth). The only other issue before a Quarry is viable is mining enough of the quartz(s) to make additional AE storage. At any rate if you are in my base don't leave the power running for the foreseeable future, I'm going to need to be absolutely sure the rig won't blow up before I trust it on without supervision.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 28, 2013, 05:41 PM

Blaze,
I had not... but just did. Any other settings I should be concerned with there?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2013, 06:36 PM

Okay just crashed again. this time looking at a nether portal. Updating to 4.0.3a may be an idea.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 28, 2013, 07:43 PM

Polyphemus is down for an update...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 28, 2013, 08:52 PM

Polyphemus is back up. New version 1.2, so be sure to download the update:
removed Artifice
updated redlogic, natura, colorful portals, bibliocraft, armorbar, better storage thaumcraft, and THAUMCRAFT.

Artifice was causing all kinds of weird issues (and crazy log issues) so since steel isn't that big a deal... I axed it. Any steel made still exists.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Oct 29, 2013, 01:20 PM

OK, just because the block lag started getting noticeable as the night went on, I bounced the Polyphemus server today and upped the processor allotment. When we get to the point of wanting chunk loaders, we'll need to talk about how to implement them to keep lag down. In my option, we have 3 ways to handle them:

Chunk Loading Options:
  1. One large group area with a singe chunk loader covering it.
  2. One or two chunk loaders near shared resources (as needed).
  3. One chunk loader per player.

I'd prefer 1, if possible. Thoughts?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2013, 01:49 PM

There are only a few things that need a chunk loader in this pack. Ender tanking fluids around. Quarries (built in). But the tanks are only really needed to get fuel for the quarry which the current ore generation rates make mostly useless. Maybe if you like to use and ender pouch while you mine? It should be very easy to limit it to a few chunks per person. Stick to spot loaders if you can?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2013, 04:07 PM

I'd really only need one at the workshop keeping the AE system and combustion engines loaded. The quarry loads itself and surrounding areas so the ender tank at the workshop will remain loaded and the one at the Quarry will as well.

While the rate of vanilla ores and gems come in big clusters I don't see Quartz (certus) copper, tin, or the shards in any large quantities, Quarry will help there.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 3, 2013, 12:44 PM

comments on 1.7.2 and the land of MODs:

It sounds like 1.7.2 was such a big update, behind the scenes, that many of the big players in MODDING are estimating several months before they update. Forge being a big one. So don't expect Polyphemus to update past 1.6.4 anytime soon.

Also, Blaze mentioned Chobocraft has updated. Once at least one or two MODS come out with new versions, I'll go ahead and update.

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 7, 2013, 09:52 AM

A few notes about Polyphemus:

1- Blaze found an error where the server crashes when a potion is examined with Thaum goggles. Until Thaum addresses this, please don't do that

2- It's come to my attention that folks are not finding much lapis. Ahh, that elusive blue stone. Here's the scoop: I set lapis to 'cloud', not 'vein' so when you DO find some, you're going to find A LOT. As another hint, I believe it spans most under the deep blue sea, so look under oceans for it.

3- Several mods are now updated to a new version, so expect me to update sometime either this weekend or next weekend. Nothing drastic, just typical updates.

4- (added this) DIM DOORS IS IN 1.6.x BETA!!!!! Do we want to give it a try, or wait a bit?

Now for some notes on Hexxit:

1- Hexxit has updated versions. Do we want to update the server, or let it sit for now?

Lastly, some notes of DW20:

1- Something in DW20 is causing Java to go nuts once the server has sit idle for about 2 days or so. Did anyone leave any chunk loaders active anywhere? If so, is it possible to mothball that load? I don't mind leaving it up for when people want to tinker around, but it's running the CPU rampant and I need to reset it every 3 or 4 days.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
A few notes about Polyphemus:

1- Blaze found an error where the server crashes when a potion is examined with Thaum goggles. Until Thaum addresses this, please don't do that

It was the thaumonomiter, the thing you scan stuff for research points.
Without the social aspect of a server I have no desire to get on either of the hexxit or d20 maps. So if no-one else is on regularly then it doesn't matter to me.

So in all out talks about mod balancing one of the things that was brought up was how flight has the potential to be OP. Cycl0pse has a picture of me to share.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 7, 2013, 01:51 PM

So, here we have some nefarious device created for who knows what purpose... but it sure is cool looking!
(seriously, it's Thaumcraft at it's best. I really need to start messing with it myself.)

And here we have Blaze with his fancy flying device! Gotta admit I like the style the new Thaumcraft is going for. Very gothic.

My big concern with flying is that it unbalances the game if used incorrectly. For now, I think this is fairly balanced.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2013, 02:14 PM

I added haste 3 to it with a book and now I can fly at walking speed. It does require fuel but at about the same rate as the power armor from dw20. Only provides leather armor protection and has the same damage / durability characteristics. Oh it's creative type flight not the bouncy jetpack so you can build with it. The flight controls are fiddly, I don't know if it's intentional, it probably won't save you from falling into lava unless you're really high up.

andi*pandi
Nov 9, 2013, 09:41 AM

Blaze, I, er, broke your smelter. I put something in by accident, and in trying to get it out broke a block off. I put the block back, but am not sure it's the right way. Sorry! (where do I put things to be smelted, in the chest?)

On a plus note, I found these really cool installations and have to give props:

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Blaze, I, er, broke your smelter. I put something in by accident, and in trying to get it out broke a block off. I put the block back, but am not sure it's the right way. Sorry! (where do I put things to be smelted, in the chest?)

On a plus note, I found these really cool installations and have to give props:

I'll fix it easily enough. There are three books you get that tell you how the smeltery all works. My copies are in a bookcase. I use a hopper because I didn't bother expanding it beyond 18.

Yeah we didn't pretty up after that tower blew up and we raided the balloon.

Watch out when I went to check out the balloon I got a creeper in the face.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 9, 2013, 11:42 PM

NOTICE! Major Polyphemus Update Pending

Now that I have your attention, I figure i better get word out ASAP that the next update of Polyphemus (1.3 for those counting) will be a big one. First, as of the time of this typing, roughly 1/4 of the MODs are being updated, including stalwarts such as Buildcraft, Tinker's Construct, and Redlogic. Additionally, some fan favorites from Hexxit finally make their debut (yes folks, Better Dungeons finally updated! So did Dimensional Doors). So what will this mean for everyone?

First, I'm going to be archiving Hexxit and taking the server down for now. With Polyphemus now having just about everything we liked from Hexxit I just don't see keeping it up being worthwhile.

Second, once I have Polyphemus 1.3 ready to roll, I'm going to put it up using the old Hexxit server space IN CREATIVE MODE so we can all bang on it a bit before upgrading the map. When this is ready I'll post all the link information here.

Third, I want to keep DW20 up and running because i still find it entertaining, and it's different enough from Polyphemus to keep things interesting. That said, DW20 is having issues. Something is causing a processor runaway that forces a reboot about every 3 days, and the idle processor usage is roughly 20% of the server. For comparison, Polyphemus idles at about 1%. With that in mind, one option is to just shut it down and only make it available when folks want to tinker in it. The other option is to have us head over there and mothball any chunk loaders currently in use. (I long ago disabled the dynmap)

Finally, I hope everyone is having fun with Polyphemus. Since 1.3 is looking to be a massive mod already, does anyone have any suggestions for mods to add (or remove) from the list? One item up for removal is the project zulu potions, as they are proving to be a pain in the ass(ets).

cycl0pse

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 10, 2013, 08:50 PM

hey Sek,
So Blaze was exploring and he found some lapis.

Think he found enough?

For now, we're still clearing out around the cloud just to see how big it is...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2013, 01:20 AM

Oh my word...

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 12, 2013, 01:57 PM

methinks my internet link at home is down. either that or dyndns is not updating correctly

anyone available to check and see if Polyphemus is up and running?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2013, 04:22 PM

Looks down here.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 12, 2013, 06:26 PM

dyndns took a dive on my router. back up now.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Nov 13, 2013, 02:06 PM

Update on Polyphemus 1.3

OK, so I've been hacking on this for awhile now and to say it's been interesting is an understatement. A lot of MODS have updated recently and making sure they all play nice together has been troublesome (to say the least). The good news is I'm making progress and as such I wanted to share that progress. So without further ado, here's what's coming:

NEW MODS:
-Better Dungeons -
Yup, it's back! Having issues getting the dungeons to generate at a good rate (very rare right now) but otherwise it's solid. Cloud boots are back and appear configurable, as well as hookshots. Been looking forward to this one! As you might expect, structures and dungeons will only spawn in newly generated chunks.
-Dimensional Doors -
With the addition (and usefulness) of the Colourful Portals MOD, this one doesn't add a lot of functionality, but I do miss the 'travel nexus' as well as the ability to hide pocket dimensions. (ok, OK, the enderman grinder is nice, too). Quite a bit of updates, mostly in behind the scenes code, but looking strong. Again, dungeons will spawn in new chunks only.

UPDATED MODS
(Here's where the fun begins. Roughly 1/2 of the mods actually updated, but not all of them performed as expected.)
  • core- [1.6.4]bspkrsCorev5.0.zip
  • core- CodeChickenCore 0.9.0.6.jar
  • core- immibis-core-57.1.4.jar
  • NEIPlugins-1.1.0.4.jar
  • 1.6.4.BetterStorage_0.7.2.37.zip
  • buildcraft-A-1.6.2-4.1.2.jar
  • Chococraft_3.0.2.zip
  • CustomOreGenRevived-1.6.4-1.0.13.jar
  • 1.6.4 DamageIndicatorsv2.9.1.1.zip
  • EnderStorage 1.4.3.5.jar
  • Factorization-0.8.08.jar
  • immibis-microblocks-57.2.3.jar
  • ProjectZuluCompletev1.1.6.2.zip
  • redlogic-57.2.0.jar
  • Ruins_1.6.4.zip
  • Thaumcraft4.0.4b.jar
  • TConstruct_1.6.4_1.5.0.jar
  • tubestuff-57.0.2.jar
  • VanillaPlus[V.1.3.5].zip
  • yalsm-2.0.1.jar

Battle Towers has updated, but in testing it refuses to spawn new towers in loaded chunks. I'm cool with less towers, but not 'no towers' so for now the mod stays the same.
Project Zulu's config is being adjusted to remove some functions, such as potion creation. It's just to convoluted.
The rest of the updates mainly address minor tweaks and bug fixes.

If all goes to plan, later tonight I'll have a a creative server up using a copy of our current map for beta testing. Once it's ready to go I'll let everyone know.

If there are any mods you'd like to see added (Blaze, what was the one suggestion you made the other night?) or mods you could live without (debating if we should keep 'ruins' or not) consider this last call.

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2013, 02:52 PM

I suggested Ars Magica if you wanted more game content. From the Direwolf Forgecraft videos it didn't seem terribly OP. It's flight mechanic was duration limited and it was and active action (right click) like all the other spells.

Forum Links
Forum Rules