Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 11)
Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Really? I heard the helicopter was the easiest way to lose the cops. Just got the ability, though, so I haven't tried it yet.
I'll give you some spoilerish context. (Everyone's ahead of me, so this should come as no revelation)
I stole a helicopter and was flying under bridges for the achievement. I got 6 stars for going near the third island, and from then out out, no matter where I was flying (particularly over water) despite the fact no helicopters were near me, the police circle was always centered on me.

Example 2 (spoilerish): I did a mission where I thought Brucie was my best chance for escape. So I got the 'copter with 3 stars, chosea destination outside the circle and skipped the ride. When it came to, the police circle was centered where we had just landed.

Also, if you guys are going to try and get those coop achievements, there is a glitch that can really help you get Bomb da Base II before the time limit:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
I'll have to check this out at home, but if you didn't catch it, apparently you have to do these achievements with randoms.

Though I think we could still use the practice of doing it a few times with friends.

Edit: I'm jealous you rolled a car 5 times. Any advice on how to do it?

---

If I remember later, I think it's time for us to start posting notable stats -- things we're proud of, of just to compare notes. I'll try to remember to do so when I get home.

Ham Sandwich
May 12, 2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Details I've come to appreciate after 30 hours:
[snip]
Feel free to share your faves.
Right before your cell phone rings, the speakers in your car crackling. First couple of times I thought it was my phone interfering with my speakers.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 10:00 AM

See, I heard that before, but it never happened until last night. I wonder if its the car model or what, because it seems odd that it took over 30 hours for it to happen once.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 10:16 AM

Go to the online dating site and choose to date lawchick. Get her approval rating up and you can call her for help with the cops. It's a HUGE help. Dress nice, and drive a midrange car. Nothing too crappy or too fancy. She likes the comedy club.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 10:22 AM

ABout the law chick's power

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Go to the online dating site and choose to date lawchick. Get her approval rating up and you can call her for help with the cops. It's a HUGE help. Dress nice, and drive a midrange car. Nothing too crappy or too fancy. She likes the comedy club.
Actually she prefers you to dress crappy (Russian clothes) and drive a beater. If you wear nice things she'll end up liking you less. But the comedy club is definitely the place to take her.

Also, when dating Carmen (Sobohoe), dress VERY nice and drive a nice car. And she loves going to the strip club.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 10:38 AM

Edit: I'm jealous you rolled a car 5 times. Any advice on how to do it?
The airport. Take a fast car over there and head to the runway. You'll have cops all over you but they'll keep their distance at first. You can get a good speed going, and cut over into the middle and head for the yellow ramps. If you hit them with one side of your car (or e-brake into them) you'll go flying. It took me about 30 tries to get the achievement, though.

Oh, and if your car gets trashed, steal one of the cop cars chasing after you.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 10:40 AM

Nice. Thanks.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 11:16 AM

The airport. Take a fast car over there and head to the runway. You'll have cops all over you but they'll keep their distance at first. You can get a good speed going, and cut over into the middle and head for the yellow ramps. If you hit them with one side of your car (or e-brake into them) you'll go flying. It took me about 30 tries to get the achievement, though.

Oh, and if your car gets trashed, steal one of the cop cars chasing after you.
I spent so much time doing that yesterday only to finally get it minutes before the pens games started, the weirdest thing was i hit the ramp perfect in a taxi and did about 5/6 flips and ....no achievement so with a destroyed taxi and extremely frustrated i drove back the other way and the the ramp only to do 1 flip and... achievement unlocked. Weird.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 11:22 AM

so speaking of helicopter stories, i remember seeing online somewhere there was an "easter egg" inside the statue of liberty. so i steal the helicopter above the booth tunnel (easy one to grab on a whim) and fly over to her, i land right beside only to find by going in i see nothing and come out wearing a souvenir shirt (happiness island) although clever, not what i was expecting. So i get back in the heli and fly to the second level and hover above the balcony and jump. I land with very little health and walk around trying to open every door, finally the door facing the front is 'invisible' and i walk right in, after climbing the latter i find

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 11:26 AM

i also unlocked packie's ability last night, anyone looking for advice heres my go, Hes never awake in the morning, i think the earliest i called him and he was up was 3 or 4pm. It seems after every activity i did (only increasing his like by 5/6%), playing pool was 10% or so, drinking also was pretty high up there (hes an irishman). But his ability is pretty cool although it seems kinda useless for missions.

About Brucie's races, i finished the first 10 (enough to get the % increase in game, after words he texts you to say you finished them all but you can do them again, you need 20 for the achievement) and to Dakar, i also found every time i called him he would say "no races" so what i started doing was calling him from different areas of the map (different towns) and i seemed to finally get some.
triple post, FTW

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 11:45 AM

Yeah, i figure i need to be on the third island or something. Not that he should be texting me, then.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
so speaking of helicopter stories, i remember seeing online somewhere there was an "easter egg" inside the statue of liberty.
I have been trying to do that since I got the chopper but I can't get close enough to land on the right platform. Any tips?

P.S. I also found an attack chopper on the far north end of the airport which is much more fun to fly as it has guns!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 01:41 PM

If I remember later, I think it's time for us to start posting notable stats -- things we're proud of, of just to compare notes. I'll try to remember to do so when I get home.
Something I'm not particularly proud of is I'm at about 53% and I've still only killed one pigeon. And it was handed to me on a platter by a mission. I'm trying real hard not to use any walkthroughs or cheats, but I could see me getting to a point where all I need is to find a bunch more pigeons to get 100% and I resort to a walkthrough.

Damn dirty flying rats.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 01:43 PM

I think I'm a little under 20 flying rats killed.

I about crapped myself last night when I noticed I had done 22-23 stunt jumps on my own. And I haven't unlocked island 3 yet. (I'm between 45-50% complete)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 02:33 PM

Damn yo, you guys must be doing a lot of the side quests as I had the 3rd island unlocked at 35% and completed the last story at 50ish%.

I only went bowling once, pool never, darts a couple times, 1 race, 3 chopper rides. Seems that none of those things help with progressing the story or unlocking islands which I had guessed.

I don't see the point in shooting all those damn birds as it just unlocks the attack chopper but there is one parked at the airport anyway.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 02:38 PM

To be honest, as much as I think GTA has a good quality story, it's never been close to my priority. I always thought the side stuff was more fun (which explains why Vice City is the only one I ever beat, though I did get to the final mission on III). I have spent some time purposely killing achievements (which would be irrelevant to you on PS3), but I like the challenge of eliminating criminals and doing stunt jumps and races.

I have a lot of fun just exploring, driving, flying, killing, without a goal in sight.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 02:42 PM

To be honest, as much as I think GTA has a good quality story, it's never been close to my priority. I always thought the side stuff was more fun (which explains why Vice City is the only one I ever beat, though I did get to the final mission on III). I have spent some time purposely killing achievements (which would be irrelevant to you on PS3), but I like the challenge of eliminating criminals and doing stunt jumps and races.

I have a lot of fun just exploring, driving, flying, killing, without a goal in sight.
That was also the same case with me on the last 3 gTA's because I found the shooting system so hard to use I didn't do very well with the actual story missions.

When I got GTA IV I thought I would be doing the usual messing around the whole time (which I still do) but I found the mission so much more fun and easier to acomplish because I wasn't crippled by the controls.

Even though the game is technically done at this point I am still going to spend countless hours just messing around in the world.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 02:46 PM

I hear that. After a week getting used to the game, I asked a friend at work, "How did I ever play this game without a cover system?" I'm serious, I can't imagine it.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Even though the game is technically done at this point I am still going to spend countless hours just messing around in the world.
This is where the good stories usually come from.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 03:00 PM

It's up to you to set a time and date, sek, as you're the one with the more brutal job to worry about getting up early for.
Brutal!

All joking aside...I was heading home today ready to tell you jerks that I am totally down to play all night tonight. I worked through lunch to finish my tasks for the week today instead of tomorrow. I have another job lined up but it's outside and tomorrow is going to rain like a mutha truck.

So naturally I am excited to play, even more so since I haven't played GTA IV since Thursday.

Then I sit down and glance at my calendar.......the horror!

Possible jury duty tomorrow at 8AM in a city near boston. So not only will I have to wake up early, I'll be waking up EARLIER than I normally would have anyways.

God f**king dammit....

There's a chance I won't have to go, I still haven't made my day-before phone call to see if I'm needed. In fact, I should call soon....man I'm going to be so pissed if I have to go.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Brutal!

All joking aside...I was heading home today ready to tell you jerks that I am totally down to play all night tonight. I worked through lunch to finish my tasks for the week today instead of tomorrow. I have another job lined up but it's outside and tomorrow is going to rain like a mutha truck.

So naturally I am excited to play, even more so since I haven't played GTA IV since Thursday.

Then I sit down and glance at my calendar.......the horror!

Possible jury duty tomorrow at 8AM in a city near boston. So not only will I have to wake up early, I'll be waking up EARLIER than I normally would have anyways.

God f**king dammit....

There's a chance I won't have to go, I still haven't made my day-before phone call to see if I'm needed. In fact, I should call soon....man I'm going to be so pissed if I have to go.
Jury Duty. They sure know how to punish you for using your right to vote.

Actually, before your post I was planning on announcing that I'd be up for some co-op tonight. Anything to avoid actually playing the story.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 03:09 PM

The answer is yes, I will be dragging my ass 45 minutes away on the highway.

**** it, I don't need energy to do this so I'll still stay up till 1-2am.

I am down for co-op, probably play the story today until you sign on later tonight.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 03:12 PM

Cool. I may do a couple of missions, depends on how fast and how bad I start failing them. Dealbreaker is only 2 peeps, so we can do that if no one else is on.

Oh, has anyone seen stogieman? Seems like he's been playing infrequently, and Halo 3 at that. Speak to us stogie!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 03:33 PM

i'm down for a late night tonight if you guys wanna get on, i've been trying to take a story break and do some side stuff, i'm right over 76% completed as of now.but i do have a 530 Gamerscore

EDIT: Dakar, awesome sig

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 03:34 PM

To my credit, I somehow have the second highest amount of achievements (to kb), though those who are pretty far ahead of me story-wise are nipping on my heels.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I have been trying to do that since I got the chopper but I can't get close enough to land on the right platform. Any tips?

P.S. I also found an attack chopper on the far north end of the airport which is much more fun to fly as it has guns!
Seriously i flew straight up above the second balcony and turned the heli towards the building and flew into it until the blades began to hit and jumped out, made it my first try but with as close to zero health left as allowed.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 03:38 PM

To my credit, I somehow have the second highest amount of achievements (to kb), though those who are pretty far ahead of me story-wise are nipping on my heels.
well you were climbing the GS latter fast so i then did a little "compare achievements" and noticed you had the under the radar and chain reaction so i immediately spend some time getting those.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
well you were climbing the GS latter fast so i then did a little "compare achievements" and noticed you had the under the radar and chain reaction so i immediately spend some time getting those.
Dammit, why can't you let me have one thing?!

Leaderboard, for the hell of it (achievements/gamerscore poster)

32/530 Kevin Bogues
24/355 Dakar
19/280 jokell
15/205 chronic bings (Who the hell is this again?) Edit: [oh, hi Nodnarb]
13/135 ::maroma::
06/115 Peter
14/115 sek
12/105 Ort888
06/045 boy8cookie
01/005 starman
01/005 stogieman
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 12, 2008 at 03:58 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 04:04 PM

Just went to play GTA IV and i get the three red rings......

Words cannot express my pure rage right now.

My only concern....how in the name of **** do I get my GTA save game to my next console? I can be to best Buy and back with a new unit in like 20 minutes, but I'll be damned if I'm going to start over again....

Wow, what a ****in day thus far.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 04:09 PM

Just went to play GTA IV and i get the three red rings......

Words cannot express my pure rage right now.

My only concern....how in the name of **** do I get my GTA save game to my next console? I can be to best Buy and back with a new unit in like 20 minutes, but I'll be damned if I'm going to start over again....

Wow, what a ****in day thus far.
dude that f***** blows, i remember turning my on the day i bought 'skate' and.... three lights of death. I would say you should just use your old hard drive instead of a new one OR you can purchase that damn expensive transfer cable that comes with the elites.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 04:11 PM

I was thinking about suing my old HD, but I have the replacement plan. Which means I get a new unit off the shelves. Last time I didn't include the headset so they just took out the new headset, but this time I dunno if they will let me take the hard drive off in the store.

Why, oh why, did xbox go from a beast to a finiky little pussy?

Edit: Can i copy save games from a memory card to the hard drive? If so I can use a friend's unit and buy a memory card.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 04:12 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 04:29 PM

Just called Best Buy and the geek man says it's no problem to send out my unit with the new hard drive and let me keep my own.

The RRoD isn't a problem with the HD so I am set.

What irks me is that this unit didn't exhibit any of the behavior my previous 360 did before it died. Not to mention I just wacthed a movie on it last night.

I might look into extending the replacement plan for another two years. Nice f**kin work M$,,,if your games sucked then you'd be sh!t out of luck this generation.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 04:31 PM

That's exactly what my friend did (on my advice), except his red ringed unit worked again when he brought the new one home, so he's been using the old one in the bedroom.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 12, 2008, 04:37 PM

What irks me is that this unit didn't exhibit any of the behavior my previous 360 did before it died. Not to mention I just wacthed a movie on it last night.

I might look into extending the replacement plan for another two years. Nice f**kin work M$,,,if your games sucked then you'd be sh!t out of luck this generation.
all in all good stuff sek, i wonder what these 'behavoir's" are though, my first RRoD didn't do anything but my current has been doing quite a lot of not reading disc's, and freezing.... ut oh

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 05:44 PM

Got the new unit, my old HD and all save files still intact.

Extended the replacement plan for another two years for 7 dollars.

So I basically got a new controller for a half hour of travel time and 7 dollars.....not that bad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2008, 05:46 PM

Don't forget a new headset. You always seem to need those.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2008, 05:52 PM

Well seeing as my current one was broke I didn't even bother trying to pull the ol switcharoo. Plus, they checked the box thoughroughly so I doubt they would have neglected to notice the busted headset. They just took the new one out of the box.

The guy actually took out the new ethernet cable too, I had to stop him in his tracks and make him refer to the one I was returning in the old box.

As I left I told the (very nice and super helpful) lady at the customer service desk I'd see her in another 6 months for a new 360.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 10:00 PM

Dammit, why can't you let me have one thing?!

Leaderboard, for the hell of it (achievements/gamerscore poster)

32/530 Kevin Bogues
24/355 Dakar
19/280 jokell
15/205 chronic bings (Who the hell is this again?) Edit: [oh, hi Nodnarb]
13/135 ::maroma::
06/115 Peter
14/115 sek
12/105 Ort888
06/045 boy8cookie
01/005 starman
01/005 stogieman
Hmmm...I'm going to have to step it up a little.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 12:56 AM

Man, if I knew stogie in real life, I'd owe him a beer. We were merciless to him tonight.

I'm just glad I redeemed myself those last few games. kb and sek dominated the copter and boat races.

I see another Mr. Frosty race in our future. In the rain, maybe.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2008, 12:57 AM

Mr. Frosty race = root canal

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2008, 01:00 AM

Next time we need another 4 people to really start utilizing MP to the fullest.

This means you, MacNN reader!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 01:11 AM

Mr. Frosty race = root canal
Yeah, you were having horrible luck with that thing. Minus traffic might be more fun, that way we keep getting it up to high speeds and wrecking...

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 13, 2008, 01:30 AM

good times jerks, good times. I'm a big fan of the races (mr frosty, boat/heli,and faggio included)
I agree with sek that we could use another 4 people to really get some BTGTA (thats big team gta for my fellow halo nerds).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 01:50 AM

Man, if I knew stogie in real life, I'd owe him a beer. We were merciless to him tonight.
Screw you guys... I'm going back to Halo.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 08:14 AM

We'll miss you, stogie.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 09:20 AM

Highlights (and lowlights) from last night:

• No minigames in multiplayer. We can't play pool, darts, or bowl together.
• sek and stogie wrecking a car into kb with friendly fire off, resulting in his body doing a couple cart wheels before he hit the ground, dusted himself off, and continued walking.
• The Mr. Tasty Grand Prix. Four men, lots of traffic, and a horn jingle that plays Flight of the Valkyries.
• Cannonball runs -- though kb is a cheap piece of crap that rams into you full speed when you're stopped and somehow is lucky enough to put you onto you're hood, rather than be put on his. Not that I'm bitter about it.
• The faggio race in the rain. And sek somehow managing crash directly into the subway stairs and ending up underground. Also, stogie almost flattening him once he got above ground.
• kicking people continuously because there is no closed game past your first.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 13, 2008, 11:40 AM

So anyone here have the PS3 version that I can play along with?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 11:42 AM

I think there's at least two other people. excalibur might be one of them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules