Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bluetooth: Romeo -vs- Sailing Clicker

Bluetooth: Romeo -vs- Sailing Clicker
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 07:27 AM

I am thinking about using one of these bluetooth phone to mac programs but I have not seen any screen shots or phone shots of the apps in action.
Can anyone who has them please post some feedback and maybe pics?

I want to use this program along with a little system I want to put together to have a music server but I want to make sure that before I begin this project that I am not wasting my time or money.

Thanks

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2004, 08:57 AM

No offence, but why not try them out yourself?

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 23, 2004, 09:17 AM

Romeo is free. That's why I like it

todrain
Senior User
May 23, 2004, 11:27 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

Salling Clicker is great! I don't know if it's really a must have, but I use it all the time, since I don't have a TV in my bedroom, and I can use my phone as a remote control for the DVD player, or iTunes. It's not as useful for iPhoto, but maybe in future versions it will improve.

Langdon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
No offence, but why not try them out yourself?
Because I do not yet have a Bluetooth phone. These programs are one of the selling points for me to possibly buy one and I wanted some input and screen shots from users who have experience with it. Since one has a more limited selection on compatible phones I think that viewing the program in use is quite relevant since it would effect my decision to put one phone over another.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by todrain:
It's not as useful for iPhoto, but maybe in future versions it will improve.

Script it to do whatever you want.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 06:52 AM

I have Salling Clicker and a SE T68i - it works a treat for me. I use the scripts that came with the app to activate and deactivate my iChat status (it switches it to Available/Away depending on whether I'm in my office or not), to activate Address Book and to activate iTunes to play/pause depending on proximity. Now I have the ability to hook up my PowerBook to my TV to watch DVDs, I'll probably start using it to control DVD Player too. It also pauses iTunes or DVD Player when my phone rings (and displays who is calling etc) to. If it could switch the kettle on for me as well, I simply wouldn't be able to live without it

I imagine I would find it even more useful if I had any clue on how to use AppleScript... FWIW, when I first got it (back when it was called Sony Ericsson Clicker), Romeo wasn't really up to par which is why I didn't go with it instead, but that may have changed in the meantime.

ntsc
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 07:49 AM

i found with a T610 that Romeo didn't close the connection to the phone properly so i couldn't shut the bluetooth off on the phone. this would be my only word against bluetooth other than it runs the battery down like theres no tomorrow for me on my phone.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Forum Links
Forum Rules