Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Censorship, Clear Channel... I don't get it

Censorship, Clear Channel... I don't get it
velodev
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 09:36 AM

Can someone tell me why the FCC is fining Clear Channel 1.7+ million dollars for an indecent Stern broadcast... when, he is also broadcasted on Viacom channels, right?

So why doesn't Viacom get fined as well?

I know there are no clear cut rules for fining as it kind of seems the FCC is pulling rules out of its butt but this particular process has me confused.

Any Stern fans... or censorship avists?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 09:46 AM

Because this way, the FCC can appear, to its critics, to be doing something when it isn't.

Michael Powell is very much against virtually every communications regulation. Prior to the Super Bowl incident, he would find any excuse to explain why something that was very much against FCC decency regulations wasn't indecent.

Now that Congress has pressured him to do something, he is, but in ways that won't really change things much. Hence going after Clear Channel for broadcasts originating from Infinity Broadcasting and fining the networks for things that aren't likely to happen again.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

velodev  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 09:52 AM

Ok, but here's where I am confused...

nothing happens to Infinity? Not even one dollar of fines?

I agree with you about Mr. Powell, previous to the Super Bowl the only function the FCC performed for me was to given "head's up" on gadgets when they are given FCC approved - i.e. the Handspring leak, etc.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 09:54 AM

I think the FCC is trying to make an example of Clear Channel.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 09:59 AM

Clear Channel needs to go away for everyones sake.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
Clear Channel needs to go away for everyones sake.
indeed they do

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2004, 10:39 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Infinity has already paid fines due to supposedly "indecent" broadcasts by Howard.

The questions really is, why isn't Oprah being fined as well? They both aired the exact same topic and one got fined the other didn't.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
Ok, but here's where I am confused...

nothing happens to Infinity? Not even one dollar of fines?
Exactly. It's about making headlines, not regulating.

Clear Channel is the biggest name in U.S. radio. As such, it has taken more criticism from, well, critics about communications regulation than any other radio network.

Howard Stern is probably the biggest, most controversial individual in radio. Again, he's received plenty of criticism.

By suing Clear Channel for Howard Stern's antics, the FCC makes big headlines and silences its critics because it put two of the most infamous names in radio together and appears to force a major change. But it doesn't really change much because neither one has much of a financial stake in the other.

If the FCC were serious about this, it would go after Infinity Broadcasting for The Howard Stern Show. Effectively forcing Infinity Broadcasting, which does own The Howard Stern Show and has a major financial stake in it, to drop it from its affiliates or to take it off the air entirely would seriously hurt it.

Same thing goes for Bono saying the F-word at the American Music Awards. Ignoring the fact that the FCC previously said that it wasn't indecent, the FCC can fine ABC and/or local ABC affiliates and it won't affect them much because this sort of thing isn't likely to happen again. It's a one-time thing and therefore a one-time fine.

But don't feel bad for Howard Stern. This will blow over eventually and he'll be back in most of the markets he was dropped from. (And don't be surprised if in many of these markets, he returns to the same stations that dropped him.)
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; Jun 11, 2004 at 10:59 AM. )

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by pman68:
If I'm not mistaken, Infinity has already paid fines due to supposedly "indecent" broadcasts by Howard.

The questions really is, why isn't Oprah being fined as well? They both aired the exact same topic and one got fined the other didn't.
Indeed they have. Many times over the years. But for a show as popular as Howard Stern's and the fines as small as they were, Infinity has been more than willing to pay.

The FCC has effectively forced Clear Channel to take Howard Stern off a number of its stations. That's the difference.

As for Oprah, no one complains, so the FCC can't do anything.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 11:02 AM

I feel like the FCC is ultra-critical of Howard Stern because he has such a following and is constantly "pushing the line" (a line in which the FCC doesn't define).

For the past couple years, the FCC and Howard have been somewhat coexisting without much of an issue. That all fell apart when the Super Bowl Janet Jackson "stunt" happened. The FCC received millions of complaints from middle america and ultimately from the top.

I really don't understand why Clear Channel gets fined and Viacom doesn't unless the FCC has bigger plans for them.

Needless to say, these mega radio stations are destroying the industry. Disk jockeys make NOTHING when the higher ups rake in the money. Sad at best.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 01:30 AM

What was the topic both Oprah and Stern covered?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by funkboy:
I think they both let swear words fly...

Oprah didn't even get a slap on the hand.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think they both let swear words fly...

Oprah didn't even get a slap on the hand.
Dropped an f-bomb? Or even a shee-at?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 02:58 AM

Dropped an f-bomb? Or even a shee-at?
The same thing happened to the Ryan Seacrest guy his first day... They let two fly... and they didn't get anything.

todrain
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 10:01 AM

But then poor Jimmy gets the axe for picking on Detroit? I guess it was just an excuse for ABC to cancel his show.

velodev  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 10:10 AM

It's on HowardStern.com and although I haven't read it... the pieces he aired were talking about tossing salad and how to give oral sex.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 10:24 AM

"O"prah should be fined. Eleventy-Billion Dollars.

Howard Stern sucks, but if they can't be consistent in fining people, then they should not be fining anyone.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
"O"prah should be fined. Eleventy-Billion Dollars.

Howard Stern sucks, but if they can't be consistent in fining people, then they should not be fining anyone.
I think that's the point stern is trying to make. They are critical over him, but not others. I think the point the FCC is trying to make is... they really don't need to constantly worry about Oprah being offensive.

1/3 of Stern's show is sex talk and walking the find line between shock jock and offensive.

While I somewhat agree with the "if you don't like it, turn off the radio" on the other hand, I find some of his stuff a little over the line.

For the record, I listen to him about 3 times a week on my morning drive.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 11:15 AM

I know Howard's show is mostly filth, but that isn't what concerns me. If you are going to fine people for breaking the rules, then be consistent or don't do it at all. For illustrative purposes only, let's say Oprah is speeding, and Howard Stern are speeding, that's like having two cops pull over Howard and then let Opra get off... It's wrong.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by todrain:
But then poor Jimmy gets the axe for picking on Detroit? I guess it was just an excuse for ABC to cancel his show.
If you're referring to Kimmel, he didn't get the axe, and ABC didn't pull his show. The show was pulled for one night, he apologized, and he's back on the air. Your news sources aren't very reliable.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 12:43 PM

I know Howard's show is mostly filth, but that isn't what concerns me. If you are going to fine people for breaking the rules, then be consistent or don't do it at all. For illustrative purposes only, let's say Oprah is speeding, and Howard Stern are speeding, that's like having two cops pull over Howard and then let Opra get off... It's wrong.
Fully agreed.

Stern should just move his show over to HBO or something... though it wouldn't do that well, I think. Then he can actually show all the blurred bits.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2004, 01:43 PM

Fully agreed.

Stern should just move his show over to HBO or something... though it wouldn't do that well, I think. Then he can actually show all the blurred bits.
He is talking about moving it over the satellite radio.

I just wonder how many people would pay to listen to him. I listen to him, but when I have to pull out my wallet... I think that's when it would end.

Who does he think he is... Liberace?

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
He is talking about moving it over the satellite radio.

I just wonder how many people would pay to listen to him. I listen to him, but when I have to pull out my wallet... I think that's when it would end.

Who does he think he is... Liberace?

I was wondering when someone would pull the "Liberace Card"... sheesh...
At least Liberace was talented.

Have you no shame?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 12:36 PM

I was wondering when someone would pull the "Liberace Card"... sheesh...
At least Liberace was talented.

Have you no shame?
Enlighten me... how does Liberace come into this, exactly?

The only indecency with him was maybe his costumes hurting people's heads or eyes

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 04:38 PM

Enlighten me... how does Liberace come into this, exactly?

The only indecency with him was maybe his costumes hurting people's heads or eyes
Don't ask me. I didn't bring him up... I was just playing off of Mitchell's reference to him...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2004, 09:19 PM

Don't ask me. I didn't bring him up... I was just playing off of Mitchell's reference to him...
Wait wait wait... how did you laugh at his joke then? Why did he put it up?!?!

I'm confused!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules