Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best OS X program to show / hide files?

Best OS X program to show / hide files?
funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 11:40 AM

Back in Mac OS 9 and before, file and folder visibility was set via ResEdit (or a number of other programs). In Mac OS X, any file can be hidden by putting a "." before the file or folder name, but then that changes the name of the file.

I want to be able to do exactly what ResEdit does - show or hide a file without changing the name, just by setting the appropriate flag that's inherent to Mac OS. However, I don't know of any Mac OS X program that does this well.

Anyone help me out?

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2004, 11:50 AM

I like FileBuddy is a nifty tool that can do that and much more. Although you might also use a terminal command for it... It's been covered before.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 12:11 PM

FileBuddy is a great program, I recommend it highly.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 01:03 PM

FileBuddy looks good - but $40 is a bit steep for my desire to just show and hide files.

I remember a program called Ghost (because I know the author!) for Mac OS Classic that did exactly what I wanted it to do: you added files to a list, and then click a button to show all those files, or hide all those files / folders.

I want to show some media folders in my game releases before I release them, so I can replace the media with new media from the new version of the game, and then hide these folders before I release the game.

Any cheaper or alternate solutions? thank you for the FileBuddy suggestion, though.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Any cheaper or alternate solutions?
Don't know about any of them (I'm using FileBuddy), but you might try Ghost Folder, Under the Hood, Informator, FileNamer
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 12, 2004, 04:04 PM

Quicksilver seems to be able to make files visible and invisible (I just tested it).

The Finder appears to need to be relaunched before it will reflect that change, however.

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2004, 04:59 PM

ls -la

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 12, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
ls -la
that's very nice when someone wants to list files, but not when they need to alter the visibility of a file. that is what the user is after, in this case.

you can install Xcode for free and use sudo SetFile -a V /path/to/file, as suggested in the other thread which was linked.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules