Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > "disapointed Quad owner" ..what happened next..!

"disapointed Quad owner" ..what happened next..! (Page 2)
OreoCookie
Dec 14, 2005, 06:07 PM

For the last time, cut it out. If you wanna haggle about grammar, do it in the Lounge or via PM.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
For the last time, cut it out. If you wanna haggle about grammar, do it in the Lounge or via PM.

newtech
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2005, 12:28 AM

...when will Apple ship cheese with their "whines"......

antdroid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 03:41 PM

thank you ,
thank u , for all your comments, i really did laugh at some of the comments, i guess its a song writers style , rather than me degrading english. i am in england, so not too worried my language will be corrupted. u no prince writes like this , and why not. i guess its a sign of the times (no pun) that text messaging has made a need for abreviated speak. im all for keeping english pure and correct, but aint ever gonna happen, coz our language has been evolving forever,

any way, bac 2 topic !

apple nice as ever sent me a new quad in 2 days ! wow speedy.
and to my ears its is pretty quiet, so my other quad prob was faulty.

i noticed with 4.2 tiger , i head the fans spin down , which i never heard the faulty quad do.
i put on 4.3 , and not sure if it keeps fans constant, havent herd em spin down on auto...

but im happy now that the fan noice is acceptable :-)

i wish the quads were near silent , but as it stands , its okay :-)

the only thing that worried me was there was strong burning smell comming out of the back, like the burnt dvd smell...it was so strong for 3 days that i got headaches...(small room)..
but now it seems to be not as bad, so its probably coz its new and getting run in lol...

now im looking forward to the power of QUAD :-)

thank you again for your comments, you helped me figure out something was wrong with my quad, rather than a rotten product lol...

MERRY XMAS !

(enjoy the caps with my compliments)

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by antdroid
the only thing that worried me was there was strong burning smell comming out of the back, like the burnt dvd smell...it was so strong for 3 days that i got headaches...(small room)..but now it seems to be not as bad, so its probably coz its new and getting run in lol...
Hrm, again, that really doesn't sound right. Might be worth opening it up to make sure there's nothing obviously burnt and no signs of "popped" capacitors (a HUGE problem with many different electrical items, including the iMac G5)

MERRY XMAS !

I don't want to seem ungrateful but I'd enjoy it a lot more if it said MERRY CHRISTMAS!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

sauria
Dec 19, 2005, 10:16 PM

Hi:

Apple was helpful to you? I just got a new Quad today and it smells of anti-freeze out of the rear cooling fan. It's running hotter than the one you got replaced. Did you just call them for ask for a new Quad G5 Mac?

Thanks!
Al

thank you ,
thank u , for all your comments, i really did laugh at some of the comments, i guess its a song writers style , rather than me degrading english. i am in england, so not too worried my language will be corrupted. u no prince writes like this , and why not. i guess its a sign of the times (no pun) that text messaging has made a need for abreviated speak. im all for keeping english pure and correct, but aint ever gonna happen, coz our language has been evolving forever,

any way, bac 2 topic !

i noticed with 4.2 tiger , i head the fans spin down , which i never heard the faulty quad do.
i put on 4.3 , and not sure if it keeps fans constant, havent herd em spin down on auto...

the only thing that worried me was there was strong burning smell comming out of the back, like the burnt dvd smell...it was so strong for 3 days that i got headaches...(small room)..
but now it seems to be not as bad, so its probably coz its new and getting run in lol...

thank you again for your comments, you helped me figure out something was wrong with my quad, rather than a rotten product lol...

MERRY XMAS !

( Last edited by sauria; Dec 19, 2005 at 11:08 PM. )

brza
Dec 20, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
To the original poster: I am so disappointed with your grasp of the English language.
....you're kidding, right?

brza
Dec 20, 2005, 12:41 AM

i know the moderator already got this one, but you guys are [insert rude appendage]'s for the grammar comments. I live in a bilingual (english-french) province and my french isn't that good, but when I do speak french the people respect me for trying. Give him the same respect.

elrah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by brza
i know the moderator already got this one, but you guys are [insert rude appendage]'s for the grammar comments. I live in a bilingual (english-french) province and my french isn't that good, but when I do speak french the people respect me for trying. Give him the same respect.
...you're kidding, right?

Do you realise that the OP is writing in his native language? I find it hysterical that you think it must be his second language. You have insulted him far more than anyone else in this thread.

sauria
Dec 20, 2005, 10:24 AM

antdroid, how's the smell now? Mine has stunk up the room after less than a day. Sorry for my American English.

antdroid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2005, 11:17 AM

well the burning smell is getting less i think. but it may just be i havent had it on all day long.
i'll call apple and see what they think.
just to be sure :-)

i notice that the fans dont spin down now like they did when i started it up first time on 4.2

i read on this forum that you can type in nvram etc to make it quieter..is this safe to try on a quad and would it hav any effect ?

if its recommended to do can you repeat the 1, 2 3, steps to do it ..thanks.

(i think i did it on my first quad, being told to over the phone by apple...)

its definately quieter than first quad, but would be nice to get it a bit quieter, maybe with reassuring fans spinning down occasionally lol..

yes i tried it on reduced, auto and highest.. :-)

i still only got 512mb ram..i gotta order 2gb after xmas.

also of topic. i find my logic pro app quits(crashes) sometimes when i save a song...happened with other quad, so probably either logic 7.1 (also 7.0 it happened) or most lightly coz of lack of ram...

i also beenm getting loud clicks from the internal speaker now and again..nothing major..when i hav it connected to motu 828 by firewire.

any thoughts ?

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a happy new year :-)

p.s. any very successful producer / songwriters out there?

mlowe969
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2005, 10:15 PM

Its amazing how MacNN.com seems to have the biggest group of verbally offensive moderators on the web. This site needs to be shut down until they figure out how to take care of their customers. Every complaint is your fault. Anything you say against Apple is always followed up by personal attacks from the MacNN staff. Time to let the advertisers know a bit more about this site, and their extremely abusive policies.

sauria
Dec 24, 2005, 12:19 AM

Thanks, I look forward to your result. I have to wait over a week for my RMA. I must have had a leaky cooling system. I'll report on nosie when it comes. Hopefully you'll get some good news from Apple?

well the burning smell is getting less i think. but it may just be i havent had it on all day long.
i'll call apple and see what they think.
just to be sure :-)

i notice that the fans dont spin down now like they did when i started it up first time on 4.2

i read on this forum that you can type in nvram etc to make it quieter..is this safe to try on a quad and would it hav any effect ?

if its recommended to do can you repeat the 1, 2 3, steps to do it ..thanks.

(i think i did it on my first quad, being told to over the phone by apple...)

its definately quieter than first quad, but would be nice to get it a bit quieter, maybe with reassuring fans spinning down occasionally lol..

yes i tried it on reduced, auto and highest.. :-)

i still only got 512mb ram..i gotta order 2gb after xmas.

also of topic. i find my logic pro app quits(crashes) sometimes when i save a song...happened with other quad, so probably either logic 7.1 (also 7.0 it happened) or most lightly coz of lack of ram...

i also beenm getting loud clicks from the internal speaker now and again..nothing major..when i hav it connected to motu 828 by firewire.

any thoughts ?

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a happy new year :-)

p.s. any very successful producer / songwriters out there?

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 05:01 AM

To the original poster: I am so disappointed with your grasp of the English language.
I was really disappointed with your rude post, but more disappointed with your pathetic website.

People download a CMS from Sourceforge, follow the installation instructions and thing they have a "website". What you have is nothing but a generic install of Geeklog. Kudos King Scott, kudos.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by mlowe969
Its amazing how MacNN.com seems to have the biggest group of verbally offensive moderators on the web. This site needs to be shut down until they figure out how to take care of their customers. Every complaint is your fault. Anything you say against Apple is always followed up by personal attacks from the MacNN staff. Time to let the advertisers know a bit more about this site, and their extremely abusive policies.
I have complained about Scott (the self-proclaimed King) going back well over a year now. Nobody cares... He's rude and apparently fully backed by MacNN. Enjoy...
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

sauria
Dec 30, 2005, 03:14 PM

thank you ,

any way, bac 2 topic !

MERRY XMAS !

How's your Quad smell now mate?

SgtBubba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 07:30 PM

Sounds like you are from Grt Brtn or thereabouts also. If only these guys knew about the Queens English, they would understand the grammatical differences! Ignore their comments on grammatical usage, since they are speaking American and NOT English

By the way, your Mac has a partial blockage in the cooling system causing the temps to rise immediately on the processor cores, thus causing the fans to scream like banshees to keep up with dissapating the heat.

phew..last time i checked thid thread i only had 17 replies...

thanks guys for talking about this issue.

im scared now tho that my grammer is not correct...oops....

it will be a long rely if i put all the quotes in to reply to....so ill keep it brief...

thanks sheer, im only planning to use logic on it, so hope to have same quiet g5 as u soon.

i called apple, and they are giving me a new quad in next 2 days or so.

they said keep the old one free....

JOKE...no they want it back ..lol. im hoping the new one will be quiet. if its not, i have decided that i'll keep it, but bung it out the door in the hall.

tigas , i Activated the RMA!..lol

scottthigin im sorry ur disapointed in my gramma.... so is my grandad ! ...lol

himself , yes your so right , we should all just accept ridiculously loud fan noise from the apple top spec models, its not like we pay a huge amount of money for them,...DERR!
its people who demand better faster quieter macs that makes the quality so high and progress, maybe you should expect a bit more rather than accept what your given.

for all i know my mac is faulty, but if you had my g5, youd be complaining not accepting it.

ive had macs all my life, since the L2, right thru to my last quicksilver...after 3 years of jet noise from quicksilver, my hopes are higher for the quad.
so you see im a loyal long term mac fan, would never get a pc ...coz i was brought up on macs.

Geobunny, cheers thats encouraging....remember my g5 fans went on even when doing nothing ...let alone logic 7 full on strain lol...

svtcontour, thank you, ..i didnt mind the grammer comments, made me laff that people still hit the roof when you use CAPS..lol...

weird how normal people get so irritated at reading caps....

when you do a hardware test with cooling off, boy the noize is scary at full speed....
SCARY !!!

oops there goes them caps again... oops there goes my grammer again...

will post wen my new g5 comes :-)

thanks again for the help and the entertaining comments...

please dont flame me..im only human

lol

GraphicUmp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2006, 02:28 PM

As an Admin at another board, I'm so disappointed with your grasp of simple niceties. This poster is requesting help with an actual problem and you take issue with his grammar? Why did you even bother posting if you didn't have anything helpful to say?

JeffDM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2006, 02:36 PM

I think a forum mod belittling a poster is highly unprofessional. I think it is about as unprofessional as using poor grammar. This is my first time here, I thought I would check out the forums. With this crude behavior from a staff member, it will probably be my last. I encourage other people to stop coming here if that is what it takes.

antdroid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 06:40 PM

this is from the original poster....

its fine about the grammer comments, i didnt find it offensive, in fact its quite funny that this post has turned into a grammer debate lol.....

my spelling is rubbish, and yes i use lazy spelling....

any way i have to tell you all what happend with my next TWO quads...yes ..two more !!

i'll start a new thread, so please go read what happened next....

thanks for ALL your comments...

please close this thread if you want :-)

ant
uk

sauria
Jan 3, 2006, 06:45 PM

Yeah, I'd love to hear about that antdroid!

antdroid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 06:51 PM

as you remember my first quad was sooooo noisey...
i thought they were all that noisey, but it was faulty...so apple replaced it with quad no. 2

this one was quieter , alot quieter...(still wish it was even more quieter..but i can cope with it lol)

i noticed it smelled of a burnt dvd smell...
very strong...i thought it was just :
"new" smell.

i got headaches and it didnt get better over the week...

then the hd started making bleepoing noises..yes full long digital tones...

i read apple knows of this problem.

so i rang em, and they said they would send another...

im now on quad 3....its still quite quiet,
theres ony a very slight smell..i guess prob new smell ...lol

after a week , the hd is starting to bleep occasionally..but not long bleeps..

is this a problem ?..could it get worse....

im quite happy to keep this one, but would like to know if its normal.....

heres how i use it:

quad with firewire to motu 828 soundcard, i use logic 7.1, latest osx, only 512mb ram at mo..will upgrade....connected via adapter to cinemascreen 22" adc

cheers..happy new year apple owners

skidude80206
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 02:36 AM

my quad is MUCH quieter than my old G4. I still have both. I don't know what people are talking about. it's virtually silent. maybe i don't challenge it or something.

Monstermind
Jan 4, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by skidude80206
my quad is MUCH quieter than my old G4. I still have both. I don't know what people are talking about. it's virtually silent. maybe i don't challenge it or something.
That, to me, is reason enough to buy one. My ex- dual-1.0 MDD was so noisy compared to previous models that it's a wonder that it was allowed to leave the drawing board; pure aggravation.

The G5 may just be "quiet compared to the G4" rather than plain ol' quiet -- although considering I'm now reduced to working off my 867 PB G4 anything would be an improvement...

sauria
Jan 4, 2006, 01:38 PM

Only major sound on my new Quad is the 7800GT card fan.

sauria
Jan 4, 2006, 01:40 PM

as you remember my first quad was sooooo noisey...
i thought they were all that noisey, but it was faulty...so apple replaced it with quad no. 2

this one was quieter , alot quieter...(still wish it was even more quieter..but i can cope with it lol)

i noticed it smelled of a burnt dvd smell...
very strong...i thought it was just :
"new" smell.

i got headaches and it didnt get better over the week...

then the hd started making bleepoing noises..yes full long digital tones...

i read apple knows of this problem.

so i rang em, and they said they would send another...

im now on quad 3....its still quite quiet,
theres ony a very slight smell..i guess prob new smell ...lol

after a week , the hd is starting to bleep occasionally..but not long bleeps..

is this a problem ?..could it get worse....

im quite happy to keep this one, but would like to know if its normal.....

heres how i use it:

quad with firewire to motu 828 soundcard, i use logic 7.1, latest osx, only 512mb ram at mo..will upgrade....connected via adapter to cinemascreen 22" adc

cheers..happy new year apple owners

I'm on Quad 2 now -- my anti-freeze smell is gone but it has a "new smell" to it. It came with a Maxtor drive. How about yours? Thanks! Could you describe the bleep sound more? It's from the HD?

antdroid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 04:40 PM

well i had my quad number 3 for a month , and i do still find it noisey...

its not bad when it atarts up , but it does have fans come on and does annoy me ...

i use logic 7 , and when i bounce a simple song down, the fans whir up...

i didnt think this was intensive work for it, ..so not sure if its normal...

my 14 day grace period was long over , so dont think this one is going back....

ive bought some good grade 2gb ram for it.....

logic still crashes sometimes when i save a project...weird that...not sure what the prob is there...

i thought it was coz it only had half gig memory, but still does it now i got 2,5 gb

i wish apple had spent a bit more money on fans and made it quieter...

what will really depress me is if in 6 mnths the mac-intel quad comes out and is silent due to the chip....

its so quiet when i shove it out the room door....

do you think each quad is different ? bit like cabbage patch dolls ? lol!

each one has a different sound level....

SHUT UP !!!! QUAD !.....doh ...

its prob worse for me coz its in a silent room.

chin chin

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by himself
Anybody that expects a dual- or quad-core workstation-class machine to be whisper quiet is deluded. Some noise (maybe even a lot of it) is a part of the package. Deal with it.
Hardly. I've got a dual core Athlon system (which allegedly puts out the same level of wattage as my dual core G5), that's whisper quiet. With that machine, the lighting in my room is the loudest thing in it. It's all a matter of good (as opposed to pretty) case design. Apple does a lot of things wrong with the PowerMac G5 case, such as using an aluminum case with no damping material and using relatively small fans when there is space to use larger ones. Apple could've cut the DCs noise output in half (and probably more for the Quad) by making some relatively simple and cheap changes to the case design.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2006, 06:29 PM

"Instant Message Speak" (using ur for your or you're, etc) is really frowned upon on these forums.
First of all, its just annoying to read. Second, there are many people here who's first (or second) language isn't English, and using these abbreviations makes it hard for them to read the posts. And thirdly, since you aren't entering text on a phone keypad (presumably), there's just no reason you need to do it.

antdroid  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 02:12 PM

hey ... im a song writer, thats the way i write ,

this forum is about computing not stupid petty , oh you spelled this wrong or you should use ral english...

get a life , and stop being SO ANAL !

yes i used caps !!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules